mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg

I'm going to be in the Pigeon Forge area this next weekend. Any mtn bike trails in the area? Thanks
    dm

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not any in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. You will have to drive about 40 minutes to Knoxville to find any trails. Do a search for Meades Quarry, William Hastie, Forks of the River. Also, IC King in Alcoa.

You can check out Knoxville Cycling on Facebook for more info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was just about to post the same question. Are you serious??? There are NO trails in the Great Smoky Mountains? That would be a great place to ride. I was thinking of a weekend trip up there in the next few months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    I was just about to post the same question. Are you serious??? There are NO trails in the Great Smoky Mountains? That would be a great place to ride. I was thinking of a weekend trip up there in the next few months.
    Well, technically, there are two.

One is the trail from Gatlinburg to the visitor's center. Maybe 2 - 2.5 miles of gravel. Nice for walking, good for a "trail" run, good for a bike ride with the kids. Not much else.

The other is out of Bryson City, from the Deep Creek campground. It's either a Forest Service road or old logging road. Bikes are allowed, though I am not sure how far up the mountain they are actually permitted (I think I might have accidentally overlooked a sign telling me where to stop). It's scenic, and it's a good climb, but it is double track with basically no technical challenge. The trail does, ultimately, run all the way up to the Clingman's Dome area (I haven't been that far, maybe just past half way).

My wife's sister lives in Gatlinburg, so we're over there a fair amount. I've often pondered what sort of effort it would take to get at least one loop in the park opened to mountain bikes. It's a strange place in a way - horses are allowed on many trails, but bikes are not. For that matter, dogs are not allowed either (at least not on the trails). I guess it would take legislation on the federal level to get anything changed. It's a shame too, there is PLENTY of room there for a 20+ mile mountain bike loop trail. It would only boost the local economy.