Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pedals!

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  ProEdgeBiker 
#1 ·
Ok im over my SPD pedals! Give me some input! looking to pull the trigger on some egg beaters! anybody have them like them?

#5 ·
SPD- less float, easier release.
Time- more float, harder release.
Eggs- more break

Seriously though, I prefer SPDs on the trail because I like the locked in feeling. I use Times for the BMX track because its harder to accidentally unclip. I hate the side to side float, but it's only 45 seconds at a time, so I can deal.

#6 ·
Candy 3's here

Mitch1171 said:
Ok im over my SPD pedals! Give me some input! looking to pull the trigger on some egg beaters! anybody have them like them?
Like mostly everyone, i leaned how to use clipless with SPDs many years ago, i just got sick of constantly adjusting the damn tension.

Unlike all these unlucky folk in here, I've been using Crank Brother's Candy SL's for the past 6yrs+ without one problem. December 2010 I switched to the Candy 3 and absolutely love the new redesign.

BTW, I've been riding with the same group of guys for many years now (they all also ride Crank Bros pedals) and none of them have ever had a problem.

#10 ·
motobutane said:
I've broken and bent 5-7 eggbeaters on rocks. Then you have to buy a set to replace the one bad one. I wound up with 4 or 5 right???? or was it left pedals.

Jim you missed a sweet Sunday at WR.
I loved that place, totally need to get back there. I think I may be coming up for the Clemson race in March though. Hopefully that will be fun, never ridden there before.

#11 ·
I recently bent the outer wing of my new Candy 1 pedals. I sent them to Crank Brothers and
they rebuilt them for free. It took about two weeks and that was mostly ground shipping from
GA to CA and back. All it cost me was one way shipping ($4).

Great customer service.

#13 ·
Baine said:
I recently bent the outer wing of my new Candy 1 pedals. I sent them to Crank Brothers and
they rebuilt them for free. It took about two weeks and that was mostly ground shipping from
GA to CA and back. All it cost me was one way shipping ($4).

Great customer service.
+1
I ride CB Mallets... I'm on my 3rd pair, first of the newer style (the other two are on my older bikes, I still have them.) I've bent wings on the older ones, a quick trip back to CB and they were as good as new, I only had to pay shipping. Motobutane, If you have been replacing crank bros pedals because of bent wings, you missed the boat... they are really good about fixing them when they break, no questions asked.

Now, as far as durability, I've been riding the new style Mallets for 2+ years (since they came out) with no problems. I like the engagment of CBs the best... and yes, I've ridden SPDs, Times etc...

btw-Jim311 PM sent...

#15 ·
jayjudy13 said:
+1
I ride CB Mallets... I'm on my 3rd pair, first of the newer style (the other two are on my older bikes, I still have them.) I've bent wings on the older ones, a quick trip back to CB and they were as good as new, I only had to pay shipping. Motobutane, If you have been replacing crank bros pedals because of bent wings, you missed the boat... they are really good about fixing them when they break, no questions asked.

Now, as far as durability, I've been riding the new style Mallets for 2+ years (since they came out) with no problems. I like the engagment of CBs the best... and yes, I've ridden SPDs, Times etc...

btw-Jim311 PM sent...
Your missing the point??? If I break a pedal I can't ride, what am I gonna do while my pedals are in the mail??? Sending them back could have been an option if I had known, but a bike with no pedals is hard to ride. I have never broken my shimano pedals and I don't have to worry about breaking them. With eggbeaters as soon as I would strike a rock I would stop and check to see if it was bent or broke. I'm glad I switched pedals - pedals you don't have to return.You say they fix them no questions asked, thats because they know how easily they break. There's no need in calling me out, I was just stating my opinion on pedals. Now I know why eggbeaters cost so much for a cheap product - its because you and everyone else is sending back probably thousands of pedals.

#17 ·
Jim311 said:
Moto he wasn't calling you out, he was saying that if you had been just buying new pedals when you damaged the wings of them that you could have gotten them warrantied rather than having to purchase a new pair.
I get a real *****ty attitude when I can't ride and today its cold as *****, plus I'm at an all time low from windrock Sunday. That adenaline rush is gone and it feels like a bad hangover now.:madmax:

#18 ·
motobutane said:
Your missing the point??? If I break a pedal I can't ride, what am I gonna do while my pedals are in the mail??? Sending them back could have been an option if I had known, but a bike with no pedals is hard to ride. I have never broken my shimano pedals and I don't have to worry about breaking them. With eggbeaters as soon as I would strike a rock I would stop and check to see if it was bent or broke. I'm glad I switched pedals - pedals you don't have to return.You say they fix them no questions asked, thats because they know how easily they break. There's no need in calling me out, I was just stating my opinion on pedals. Now I know why eggbeaters cost so much for a cheap product - its because you and everyone else is sending back probably thousands of pedals.
Easy killer... I didnt call you out. I just said you missed the boat... sorry you took it as an attack, e-fighting or trolling was never my intention. My point was you didn't need to buy 7 pairs, or whatever you said... hell, if I broke something that many times I wouldn't go back either... Like I said, I've had the newer style with no problems for over two years, actually closer to 3... And yeah, I ride places like Windrock too. But to each his own... Crank Bros for me. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
motobutane said:
I get a real *****ty attitude when I can't ride and today its cold as *****, plus I'm at an all time low from windrock Sunday. That adenaline rush is gone and it feels like a bad hangover now.:madmax:
Dude, try being freerider or downhiller living in Fl... due to budget, I get maybe 3 trips out of state a year if i'm lucky... the fall fest at windrock was my last trip... what was that, 3 months ago... I'm fawking dying over here lol. :mad: ;)

But its all good... Clemson's in less than a month.

#20 ·
jayjudy13 said:
Dude, try being freerider or downhiller living in Fl... due to budget, I get maybe 3 trips out of state a year if i'm lucky... the fall fest at windrock was my last trip... what was that, 3 months ago... I'm fawking dying over here lol. :mad: ;)

But its all good... Clemson's in less than a month.
I have not been to Clemson yet, I hear they have built some new stuff, and yeah I could not make it down there(in Fl):nono: I'll try to find you at Clemson.... oh I'm on a DHR with spd pedals:D When I'm riding I'm good to go, when I'm on here trolling-and when I say here I mean MTBR- ridemonkey - pinkbike and F88me, and even all these forums can't fill the space of riding!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.