Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Passing Through Atlanta. Which Trail Do I Hit?

2K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Sheepo5669 
#1 ·
In the end of November, I'm going to be traveling and making a stop in or near Atlanta. Not exactly sure where, but I'll have one day to ride my bike there.
Looking for scenery, hills, whatever. I'm not really a double black diamond rider but I do all right. I don't want a family type trail. Any suggestions?

I saw a place called Raccoon Mountain mentioned in another thread.

#2 ·
Depends on how far you are willing/able to drive. Raccoon Mtn is in chatanooga TN so it's a few hours. Closer to ATL you have Bear Creek and Bull Mtn, both are fun and not super difficult. There's also Blanket's Creek (not sure if it's creek?) and Chicopee, but i've never been to those.

#8 ·
Big Creek is a great place for a short-ish ride complete with miles of XC singletrack, dirt jumps, a pump track, etc. Cycleworks is right around the corner too.

also see Waterworks trails in Decatur. it's the closest decent trail to the city. not a lot of people realize how much there is to ride back there. more on singletracks.com

Yellow River is out past Stone Mountain, good stuff there too.

you can head up north about 45 mintues and get to Chicopee, then head east toward Athens and ride Fort Yargo, Harbins, and Tribble Mill. Yargo is a 12-ish mile loop that is mostly just really smooth singletrack. Harbins is a local favorite.

#10 ·
if you really want a good ride, I would go to Dauset. 1 hr south of Atlanta. 12 - 15 miles loopish; very good trail.

In ATL there are two types of trails: IMBA approved trails like Big Creek, Blankets Creek, Yellow River, or Mountain biking trails like bull mountain, pine log, bear creek, or the pinhoti trails (snake creek, etc.).

Dauset is more in between, but closer to the groomed trails. Ft. Yargo is another similar trail to Dauset, Heritage park is really nice, and the GIHP (Georgia International Horse Park).

It really depends on where in the ATL are you going to be. If you will be down town, then I would recommend Dauset or Fort Yargo if you only have one day. If you have more than one day, I would travel north to Bull/Jake Mtns, camp out and ride 50+ miles. Or ride Fort Yargo one day, then do Heritage Park or the GIHP. Or just go to TN and ride Tanasi or go to Pisgah in NC.

#11 ·
I would LOVE to go ride Pisgah. It's not in the cards this trip. I really don't know where I'll be at this time. We're going to visit a long lost relative. My wife is putting the whole thing together. I'll have a better idea in a day or so when I get an address.
Know what really sucks? My inlaws lived in Ashville, NC before I met my wife and then moved back to Florida. I WISH they still lived there.

#14 ·
If you're going to be in Alpha town, stay away from Big Creek, even though it'll be the closest for you. Go to Yargo, Heritage Park, or go to Bull Mtn.

Are you riding with anyone? If so, the def. go to Bull. If not, you might be better off going to Yargo. Dawson Forest WMA (where bull/jake mtn. is) is huge, expansive, has some bears, and it's easy to miss unmarked trails.

If Yargo isn't enough for you, do a couple more laps, OR drive over to Heritage Park and go have some fun there.

#17 ·
If you're going to be in Alpha town, stay away from Big Creek, even though it'll be the closest for you. Go to Yargo, Heritage Park, or go to Bull Mtn.

Are you riding with anyone? If so, the def. go to Bull. If not, you might be better off going to Yargo. Dawson Forest WMA (where bull/jake mtn. is) is huge, expansive, has some bears, and it's easy to miss unmarked trails.

If Yargo isn't enough for you, do a couple more laps, OR drive over to Heritage Park and go have some fun there.
Bull/jake is not in the Dawson forest WMA. It's in chattahoochee natl forest. Dawson forest sucks for MTB.

#15 ·
To get the best mileage for the travel time from retta I'd go to Chicopee or blankets if I was heading to the area (and I used to live there). If you have more travel time then I'd hit bull Mtn. The horse park has some very unique terrain but is a little lacking in mileage. Yargo was just boring and had no flow.

#18 ·
This is all great stuff to know. I'm not against driving an hour to get to a good trail. I like climbing. I just really don't like jumps. I guess I don't like bears. We don't have any on Long Island. Never encountered one in the wild.

#21 ·
Blankets is awesome. There is a little bit of everything. Medium tech short punchy climbs on Dwelling Loop. medium length steep but super smooth and fast trail on Van Micheal. And finally somewhat technical and decent hills on South. Also you got the freeride section and "Alt line" of you wanna goof off and get air.

Lots of people there but I dont mind it. You always make friends when you go out.

#24 ·
I'll be staying in or near Alpharetta... I guess I'll have a day to ride and a day to go to CNN or maybe do both in one day. I'll have to see what the bosslady says. Blankets sounds a lot like a place I ride here on Long Island, just with more altitude and better views. If I start early, I should be able to do both.

#25 ·
Blankets Creek is great,I ride there every weekend. The people there are always friendly no matter what level of rider you are.Also check out the SORBA website for more trails. Big Creek is close to you but I have never riden there. Blankets would be about 4o mins. from Alpharetta.

#26 ·
Chicopee - 21 miles, mostly single-track with a variety of trails........easy, moderate, not super-advanced trails but this place is fun for sure......ride it weekly, try and mix it up to get a good workout......both geared and SS friendly...........about 40 miles outside ATL, right off 985 (easy to find)...........

#27 ·
I'm in the hotel in Alpharetta right now. We're a day behind and trying to calculate enough time to get to Blankets. Hopefully, I'll get there today. It was 27 degrees when I woke up and I did not bring any winter gear. I had awesome riding in Florida at Balm Boyette on Saturday and Sunday. Anyone know what happened to the guy that was taken out with that helicoptor?

#30 ·
This is the address for the school across the street from the mountain bike park. 2126 Sixes Road
Canton, GA 30114

The entrance will be on the left, and you will have to make a u-turn to get in there. ride your ass off. Hit Dwelling, South Loop, and Van Michael. Then party more!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.