rey
    mtbr member

parking at swayback

I havn't ridden there yet, but will be going in the not too distant future.
    Can someone give me a read on parking there? How's it rate for security, i.e., is it remote and isolated, or is there peoples and activity around?

Just a 'general feel' is all I'm looking for. I'm trying to decide whether to bring a carload of gold coins with me.

signed,

D. Rockefeller

Not Smart Enough to Quit

Hey Rey

Parking should be fine. There is fairly good size gravel parking area and i've never heard of anyone having any problems.Ont the weekends there are usually people there but you may have it by yourself on the weekday. There are several of us that night ride during the week as well. When are you coming in? Let me know & I'll see if I can make it.

Ed

Here is the trail head
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

rey
    mtbr member
    thanks!

I'm going to Mobile on business but not sure which days yet. A night ride sounds like a blast!
    Maybe instead of staying in Mobile on my last night I could drive up to Montgomery.

That way, I can write off my ride as a business expense.

Once I get the dates straight, I'll check in and see if any of you cats are riding.
    I should warn you I'm SS&S. (single speed and slow)

rey

Not Smart Enough to Quit

perfect!

Swayback is perfect for SSing. No long climbs to kill you or to spin you out. Lots of twisting & turning, roots and rocks! Heck, hit a day ride on the way down, then a night ride on the way home. Where ya comming from?

I'll be riding this....
    Attached Images Attached Images

rey
    mtbr member
    nice wheels.
    I'll be driving from atlanta. so I'll be passing right thru your stomping grounds.

That would be my kind of business trip: mind-numbing work bracketed by sweet singletrack.

(i assume its the work making my mind numb, anyways)

rey
    mtbr member

yes indeedy

finally made it by there on the way back from mobile.

really enjoyed the ride. I'd love to join in on a night ride sometime. Gonna be back that way in 2-3 weeks.

rey

Not Smart Enough to Quit

Sneak Rider!

You just snuck in, huh? How much did you ride? The whole trail is about 12.5 miles for a lap, so if you do a lap in each direction you can have a ride of almost 3 hours. I hope that you got to ride down the "Zippah"! That is, after you cross broke neck creek and climb Teeter Totter hill.

Let me know next time & I'll join you. That is if my legs don't fall off from this lifting program I'm on!

Ed

rey
    mtbr member
    Yep
    I had a chance to leave Mobile early so I dropped in. I rode the "advaced loop" -- my computer said right around 12 miles. I did ride the zippah, tho not as fast as you locals probably do it. I'll check in next time for sure

thx
    rey

I'm Fat
    Dec 2005
    How is Swayback this time of year? I'm trying to get out there this weekend, will it be crowded? The weather around noon time should be perfect...
    I've will be handicapped in a few ways:
    Never ridden the trail
    Haven't ridden in 3 years
    Never ridden the new bike
    Now 40lbs heavier than last time I rode.

The latter is the reason I'm picking back up my old passion...

So who will I see out there? I think a few of us from Auburn will be there
    Eric Hagan - Auburn Alabama
    '06 Kona Coiler Dee-Lux

Not Smart Enough to Quit

Bring it on!

The trail was in great shape last weekend. We had a little rain yesterday but if it doesn't rain any more, or at not a lot more, it should be fine. I probably won't be able to get there on Saturday, but i may ride on Sunday afternoon. For a trail map peruse this site: http://www.trailoflegends.org/ There is a link to a trail map there somewhere.