mtbr member

Palmetto trail in Columbia,SC

Just wondering if anyone has rode this trail I know most of you go out to Harbison but for those of you near the base & OR those who want a pretty easy ride starting out it's worth checking out. It's off Leesburg Rd at gate 5 no parking fee If anyone has rode this please let me kow what your thought's were on the trail thanks!

mtbr member
    That Palmetto trail extends down through here, too, through K3 and I think part of Cambell's Pond.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceezer
    That Palmetto trail extends down through here, too, through K3 and I think part of Cambell's Pond.
    It will go all the way from the NC line to the coast. I once had designs on riding all of it but its not done and parts are closed to bikes anyhow so I lost interest. As for the Fort Jackson section, its nothing to write home about IMO but its a good alternative in the rain. I typically ride it at night during the winter for base miles and I know some guys who usually ride it on cross bikes.

Has that section where all the trees were down been rerouted yet?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

Hmmm..

I've only rode it once so far & I think it's changed alot it seem's to be mostly singletrack. There's a fireroad there but it's not rideable at all unless you were on a dirtbike.The trail is very mellow hill's nothing big at all.There are some sandy spot's but it's here & there maybe 2 FT long & it's nothing you can't go around. For me I like it better the Harbison with my current weight 280 the hill's there kill me I can't ride them so I think for now untill I get a good chunk of this weight off, Palmetto trail will great for those ( like me) work's very well. I just wished more people rode it, Kind of lonley

paintbucket
    Kindly don't go around the sandy spots. It only makes them bigger. Go right through the middle just as if they were mud holes.

And yes, that trail is certainly under-trafficked.

mtbr member

um

I was just following the trail is all there's always another path same way if there's some root's someone's made a path to go around them so I took that one is all

mtbr member
    May 2005

Ft Jackson

It's an alright trail. Nothing special, but a good length. At the spot where the trees are down there was a t-shirt tied to a branch where the trail continues last time I was there. I feel bad that I don't ride this trail enough considering that it's only 2 miles from my house.

mtbr member

moving closer to it

My wife work's in Tremholm plaza & we live in Gaston right now talk about a drive with the gas price's the way they are but I liked the trail I wasn't able to ride all of it my first time out but I did like it for me getting back into shape it's not a very hard trail.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    I was just following the trail is all there's always another path same way if there's some root's someone's made a path to go around them so I took that one is all
    All that does is make the trail wider, which isn't a good thing.

I see a lot of people throwing cigarette butts out the window around here. Does that mean its ok for me to litter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    go over the roots! sharpen your skills and keep the trail intact at the same time...

mtbr member
    thats what I do