mtbr member

Orlando area, need a place to ride

My friend and I will be in Lake Buena Vista at a business meeting in early December and we'd like to get a couple of rides in. We can hit someplace on the way up or back (from Miami) but will also have some free time while there.

Anyone want to reccomend a place within 30-45 minutes drive from the Lake Buena Vista area?

We ride the South Florida Four when hurricanes don't mess them up, so we are open to try anything not involving pavement.

Thanks!!!!!!
    Semper Vigilans

mtbr member
    There are three places to ride in the Lakeland area, two public and one private.

Carter Road

Alafia

and

The TOE (private)

If you want to head north, there's Santos, Razorback and Hardrock.

mtbr member

Thanks...

...for the reply.

Carter Road and Alafia both look good. I have wanted to ride Alafia for a long time, never had the chance. We may try both. Some guys from here went to FTF at Alafia and had a blast, said it's a "must ride". They also spoke highly of Boyette. It looks like all three of these are pretty close to each other.

We may try to ride Little Big Econ/Snow Hill during our free time on Wednesday, we won't have time to go any farther north than that. Then we hit the Lakeland area stuff on the way home.

Anyone ever ride the Environmental Center in Orlando? I hear mixed things, but it sounds like a quick in & out ride that could be fun.
    Semper Vigilans

Feel Good About Hood

envrio center

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus
    ...for the reply.

Carter Road and Alafia both look good. I have wanted to ride Alafia for a long time, never had the chance. We may try both. Some guys from here went to FTF at Alafia and had a blast, said it's a "must ride". They also spoke highly of Boyette. It looks like all three of these are pretty close to each other.

We may try to ride Little Big Econ/Snow Hill during our free time on Wednesday, we won't have time to go any farther north than that. Then we hit the Lakeland area stuff on the way home.

Anyone ever ride the Environmental Center in Orlando? I hear mixed things, but it sounds like a quick in & out ride that could be fun.
    Sounds like you have a good plan. I live in Longwood, not to far from the Envriomental Center and I would NOT bother going there. When I was in high school and got my first mtn bike we went there alot. It always had kind of a vacant lot feel and now they have torn out all the bridges and stunts. Apparently they are going to put in a section of paved rail trail connector. Still some rideable trail but not very much. I don't even bother anymore and I'm only 10 min away. Snow hill is good solid woodsy singletrack, I ride there alot. Too bad you are going on a Wed. I would show you around. You will most likely get a little lost. Print the map from Roger Sunderland's site, it will help, but there are NO signs or markers. Have Fun!
    Matt

mtbr member

Night Ride @ Snow Hill Rd/Little Big Econ

Do the Little Big Econ at night. I recommend a headlamp and bike mounted light, long sleeve pants/shirt. It's much more fun hearing gator splashes and scurrying armadillos as you speed along singletrack. There's a new trail addition I would like to explore further, it's on the west end of park, after passing and NOT crossing single rail plank walkway to the north, continue west and go left when trail splits. The split is on the south side of the river trail. Trail on north side of river might get you ticketed depending on time and who's walking it, hence the "night" recommendation. Spanish moss on trees also makes that place haunted looking, then again Santos (Saints) in Belleview, is definitely a different experience at night.