mtbr member

One open Saturday -- where to ride?

I live in the NE Atlanta suburbs (Hamilton Mill, Gwinnett County) and ride Yargo, Harbins, Chicopee every weekend. Normally, with 4 kids and their associated weekend activities, I'm too pressed for time to drive further than that to ride. I ride Blankets Creek often in the summer, as well.

However, this Saturday, my wife and kids will all be out of town. I have the whole day.

What day trip from Gwinnett county would you recommend? Anything within a couple of hours drive would be fine.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just got back from Coldwater Mtn. Great place. I also did Bear creek. Another fantastic area but a little more remote. Don't think you'll go wrong with either of those.

Jackrabbit and Lake Hartwell will be on my next trip. Heard good things about both.

Paris Mountain comes to mind also.

mtbr member
    Raccoon Mountain or Coldwater.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Two thumbs up for Bear Creek and Pinhoti trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Chattanooga...hit ESNP then Raccoon. That's a full day of riding! I did it about a month ago on a visit from MN.

mtbr member
    Good suggestions above. Coldwater is 90min from I75/I20 intersection. Raccoon is more like 2 hrs. Five Points is about 2 as well.

Just went to CW this past Saturday. If you do, carry a tube! Lots of rockage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would go to ride bear creek and p1,2,3 in Ellijay. Just rode there the other day and it was all really good. Probably the best place I've ever ridden and way nicer than coldwater.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymchanson View Post
    I would go to ride bear creek and p1,2,3 in Ellijay. Just rode there the other day and it was all really good. Probably the best place I've ever ridden and way nicer than coldwater.
    Sounds like a plan. Now, where can I find detail trailhead and route information? I've never been and I'll be riding alone.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Get a hold of Mulberry Gap. This is where I stayed. Super nice people and they will help ya out. They'll even shuttle you to the trailhead and you can ride back to the campground if your not up for the road ride (about 6 miles) for a small fee. It's a great ride.

http://mulberrygap.net

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I went to their website and found this doc http://mulberrygap.net/wp-content/up...Bear_P1_P2.jpg which has a small map of the route you suggested. Is this sufficient to navigate the trails?

22 miles is the perfect distance for me and the weather looks good. Could be an Epic day.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep. That's the route we did. Really pretty easy to navigate but we did shuttle to the top.

mtbr member
    Thanks again. Could I park at the intersections of Gonasauga Rd. and Wilderness Rd. and start the loop there? On the map I linked, that would be the southern most point of the loop if I'm reading the route correctly.

I may just drive into Mulberry Gap and ask there but if I can park at that intersection and start riding, that would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm not sure about parking at the intersection. It was my first time there. I would just park at Mulberry. At least your car would be in a secure place. Give them a call. They are very helpful.

mtbr member
    Ah, I was off a bit.

I thought Mulberry Gap was 6 miles below the Bear Creek loop. turns out it's right on the loop so I could start right there.

I'll give them a call and talk the best option. I like the idea of parking there either way.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You'll have a great time. Next time I'm in the area, I'll shoot ya a pm. My parents are in Winder and I'm up there 3-5 times a year. Enjoy.

mtbr member

One open Saturday -- where to ride?

Perfect! I live in Hamilton mill and drive through winder on my way to Yargo

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendation all. Bear Creek and Pinhoti 1&2 were fantastic. The folks at Mulberry Gap were also a great help. What a cool facility they run right at the trail start!

But, that first climb up to Bear Creek overlook? Ugh! I thought I was a good climber but 5 minute climbs at Chicopee and Yargo didn't prepare me for 1400' of elevation gain in 4.8 miles!

Fun trail and easy to navigate with the directions from Mulberry Gap.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lol. Coming from FL that's why I shuttled the road climb. Glad ya had a good time. Hope to meet ya when I'm there next time. Maybe we can do it again.