Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Oleta River Park "Restoration"

5K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  RaveOn 
#1 ·
Check out the vid and judge for ur self.

Soon we all be riding in mud

Chinoo

#3 ·
Pretty silly to do that much work for nothing in this economy. Can't get rid of all the Australian Pines and Brazilian peppers in FL, why start at a popular park? For the record, Australian Pines might be invasive, but there's nothing more soothing than a cool breeze blowing through them. Give the government an inch and they take your mile.

#6 ·
FloridaFish said:
Looking at the side-by-side video, it actually looks like they took pretty good care to preserve the trail.
What good is the trail with no forest to ride through.....

Just imagine what will happen to that trail during summer rains or hurricane's...... goodbye.....

We can pretty much start from scratch, but wait, we better wait 10-15yrs for growth to come back and then rebuild.....

#7 ·
What we really need to do, is look at the natural features and small hills, and start redesigning the trail to have better erosion control, fewer rocky sections, and start planning a more modern trail system. It's (obviously) going to be easy to bring in heavier equipment for some major renovation. [Jumps, berms, pump sections, etc...] The tree removal sucks, but lets rebuild one section at a time...follow proper IMBA style practices (which we didn't know ANYTHING about back when we started building there).
One of the biggest concerns right now is getting donations from some of the big tree farms and nursery's to bring in some shade trees.... this could all turn out well.....there's a LOT of trail there!! We might even be able to take advantage of the amazing scenery around the park (water-views, canals, etc...)

#9 ·
Thameth said:

Just imagine what will happen to that trail during summer rains or hurricane's...... goodbye.....

We can pretty much start from scratch, but wait, we better wait 10-15yrs for growth to come back and then rebuild.....
It was a forest of non-native invasive species, that destroyed everything natural about that land. I'm not gonna lose sleep about the state trying to clean things up.

#11 ·
Thameth said:

Pretty crappy thinking. Personally I didn't like Oleta's forest. In the summer that place was like a sauna - barely a breeze. And the roots sucked when it rained. If a hurricane had a direct hit on those trees you would have a situation like QW, where the trails were CLOSED for 2 years

EXPERTRIDER said:
The tree removal sucks, but lets rebuild one section at a time...follow proper IMBA style practices (which we didn't know ANYTHING about back when we started building there).
[/QOUTE]

Much better thinking! Approach the park about the elevation plan BEFORE they start to finalize the terrain. The state should be supplying new vegetation - unfortunately, none of them will be mature plants.

Any trail is better than NO TRAIL.

#12 ·
tflounder said:
Pretty crappy thinking. Personally I didn't like Oleta's forest. In the summer that place was like a sauna - barely a breeze. And the roots sucked when it rained. If a hurricane had a direct hit on those trees you would have a situation like QW, where the trails were CLOSED for 2 years
Oh please... Miami is a sauna anywhere during the summer. Just hot humid air blows regardless of those trees. Try cooling down in that while standing under the sun and tell me a shade wouldnt be nicer.

I agree with Expertrider in the sense that this may give us an opportunity to build something better. Ok., so why are park officials non communicative about this. Try calling them up and see if you get any REAL answers. Or better yet, try suggesting something and see if they even take it into consideration. And what about the wildlife that lived in those trees and their habitat. They have just been pushed out to God knows where.

And Quiet Waters is a nice park. But not nearly as nice as it was before. Not one rider I've met has said the opposite.

#14 ·
looks like a construction site, and in my opinion woods are more natrual than a construction site, also more fun to ride through.

this is just another example of gvmt WASTING TAX DOLLARS and in the process ruining one of my favorite trails.

this 'restoration' is becoming the biggest threat to our south florida trails. just look at quiet waters and how natrual it looks now, you can see all the way across the park to the highway, big improvement :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Flboy said:
RIP quiet waters. Man I miss that place. It is fun but nothing like it was.
ive yet to see a trail improve after its destroyed by the city,county,state etc. as hard as the riders try afterwards the area doesnt seem to get restored properly and your left with little to no tree cover.

i suppose its possible but i just cant see the park going in and replanting enough trees to actually restore the area.

#21 ·
If the stairs in Gatorbank are gone... it's gonna be a fight.

I guess I dont understand the whole "invasive species" crap... yes, they're non-native, but so what? They're there now! I don't know if they were doing any harm to the ecosystem or not...

#23 ·
Word is this video made its way all the way up to Tallahassee and the "restoration" project has been temporarily put on hold! Including a flood of e-mail complaints and comments from a local Facebook group which was forwarded to Tallahassee.

Now time to see what happens next....

#24 ·
Welcome to Fl!

WOW!

I am hearing the same cloak and dagger logic used with Quiet Waters. We'll get IMBA in here to help us rebuld an IMBA trail. It will be much better! :nono:

I will take the old Quiet Waters over the "new improved" Quiet Waters any day!

When Oleta becomes like Quiet Waters, the state will wonder why there is a severe drop in park revenue. Sadly, by that time it will be too late. 20 years later the canopy might be back.
Nick D is spot on!

#25 ·
nick d said:
looks like a construction site, and in my opinion woods are more natrual than a construction site, also more fun to ride through.

this is just another example of gvmt WASTING TAX DOLLARS and in the process ruining one of my favorite trails.

this 'restoration' is becoming the biggest threat to our south florida trails. just look at quiet waters and how natrual it looks now, you can see all the way across the park to the highway, big improvement :rolleyes:
What a lovely attitude you have there. You are quite an intelligent 2 year old. I didn't know every decision in the world has to have the nick d seal of approval. This is much better for the ecosystem and the trails as a whole.

#26 ·
schmitty8225 said:
What a lovely attitude you have there. You are quite an intelligent 2 year old. I didn't know every decision in the world has to have the nick d seal of approval. This is much better for the ecosystem and the trails as a whole.
While it may be best for an ecosystem as a whole, trail wise I'm not so sure. Often the rebuilding phase is many years, and sometimes other user groups or interest attempt to get their fare share from other groups when this happens. Sort of the one mans junk is anothers treasure, that is until a fresh coat of paint is applied.

Additionally, the remarks towards Nick ring hollow. I'd wager Nick has a sweat equity effort and desire for good trails in South Florida that very few can match.

As another longtime rider I tend to agree with them, just as Nick and Ottoreni, their opinions are sound and justified from past experience of other locations.

With effort and hope, the information regarding the video and Tallahassee will help produce a better trail trail system with a viable ecosystem.

PK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.