mtbr member

Ok here it goes. Whats the weather llike aound gainesville, san felasco?

Was going to ride san felasco this weekend but guessing the trails are going to be flooded. How's the weather that way?

mtbr member
    I work across the street from Felasco and it's been overcast with drizzle, but no heavy rain. I ride every Tuesday and Thursday after work, rode Tuesday with no issues, did not ride today due to the chance of rain. I'll give you an update tomorrow after work.

I plan to ride Santos on Saturday, how's the rain in Ocala?
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Not sure about Ocala but Orlando is flooded!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    I work across the street from Felasco and it's been overcast with drizzle, but no heavy rain. I ride every Tuesday and Thursday after work, rode Tuesday with no issues, did not ride today due to the chance of rain. I'll give you an update tomorrow after work.

I plan to ride Santos on Saturday, how's the rain in Ocala?
    It's been raining down here. Some heavy periods. I checked out Santos this afternoon. Yes its wet but not like georgia clay wet.

No standing water. You get some mud splatter off the tires but hey thats why Santos has a bike wash and shower at the trailhead.

I'd rather a bit of mud than trying to ride through Santos sand on a hot dry day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    The bad news, it rained all night in Gainesville! The good news, it's moving north and out of the area.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    The bad news, it rained all night in Gainesville! The good news, it's moving north and out of the area.
    How bad does the water sit around there? Need to make a call tonight! Do you think it will be soaked or just packed down really good?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    How bad does the water sit around there? Need to make a call tonight! Do you think it will be soaked or just packed down really good?
    From what I can tell based on my ride at Felasco lots of elevation changes. I do not think you will have an issue with standing water.

Trails like Tung Nut are wooded and I would imagine drain easily.

Yes you will be muddy a bit but riding through puddles i don't see it.

Again based on my one ride observation up there.

bust a move
    Mitch1171, the only part of SF that I have seen water standing is on the last mile or so of cellon creek trail heading back toward the bathrooms. I think they close that area off when its bad. Otherwise, the rest seems to drain pretty well.

drjay9051, I should have mentioned for you to take cellon creek to tung nut last week. Until I posted that map, I didn't even know about the meadow view trail. I think you will like the stuff you haven't ridden yet!

mtbr member
    Weather update in Alachua: started raining around 11:00am and hasn't stopped yet.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

Captain Climber
    Still raining at Chuck Lennon... Hasn't stopped in 48 hours and rained a lot for a few days before just in case anyone was wondering

mtbr member
    Had an interesting ride on Tung Nut yesterday. Saw lots of wild life, but what I didn't expect to see was a young Florida panther. Spotted it on Tung Nut near the intersections of Tung Nut, Cellon Creek, and the power line road. It was around 20 yards ahead with it's back towards me. As I stopped to grab my phone for a pic, it turned, spotted me, and darted off the trail. Tried calling the Park Rangers office today to see if they were aware, but no answer, so I'll try again tomorrow.

As for the trails, they were in great shape after the rain. A few down trees here and there, with a really large one on Tung Nut.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Had an interesting ride on Tung Nut yesterday. Saw lots of wild life, but what I didn't expect to see was a young Florida panther. Spotted it on Tung Nut near the intersections of Tung Nut, Cellon Creek, and the power line road. It was around 20 yards ahead with it's back towards me. As I stopped to grab my phone for a pic, it turned, spotted me, and darted off the trail. Tried calling the Park Rangers office today to see if they were aware, but no answer, so I'll try again tomorrow.

As for the trails, they were in great shape after the rain. A few down trees here and there, with a really large one on Tung Nut.
    That's very cool! I was born here in Florida and I have yet to see one! Cant wait to hit the trails this weekend.

mtbr member
    I spoke with a Park Ranger last week and mentioned the panther sighting. They've had sightings before, but are few and far between. Mostly in the Cane Brake and heavily wooded areas. So, what's next? A Bear or Big Foot sighting? 8^)
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I rode up on a huge black bear this morning, but it was at Wekiva not San Felasco.

mtbr member
    Yikes!! Did the bear see you? I would tune around and head the opposite direction.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes he did.
    We had just gotten on a section of double track, riding side by side discussing where the squeak was coming from on his bike. I was looking at his bike when he yelled "Bear" slamming in his brakes. I stopped and the bear was maybe 15-20 yards in front of us staring at us. The bear had his nose up and looked as though it was going to stand up. He then turned away and moved off into the woods moving off the trail. We gave it a minute and then continued past.
    They are skittish and usually run from humans. There are a lot of bears in this part of the state and are seen quite often. I live close to the park and we have them in our neighborhood all the time.
    I chased one out of my garage last year eating my garbage.

mtbr member
    San Felasco was fun Saturday. We saw some deer and a gator way up in the woods by a small creek I think on Odd Buck. It was about 6 ft maybe and was hissing at us when we rode by. I liked the trail a lot they keep it up great there! Very impressed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Look forward to heading up there soon. My son goes to school and works in Gainesville, so I have a place to stay.
    We have to plan a ride somewhere local soon Mitch. Maybe Snow Hill.

mtbr member
    Haven't thought about seeing a gator in a creek. I'll need to keep my eyes open this Saturday. How far did you make it to the back? There's a creek that runs between Odd Buck and Ravine, then one by the wood bridges / table. That's between Soggy Bottom and Redbug.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

XXIX
    We did everything but hidden rise and pine for you. I ran out of water and was feeling a little dehydrated so we headed back. Dropped my phone on Conquistador and had to ride it 3 times to find it. Awesome Trails, cant wait to go back.

XXIX
    P.S. Its tick season I pulled 4 of them of me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttrs View Post
    Look forward to heading up there soon. My son goes to school and works in Gainesville, so I have a place to stay.
    We have to plan a ride somewhere local soon Mitch. Maybe Snow Hill.
    Just give me a heads up and ill meet ya somewhere. Snowhill is not real exciting but its something! If your going to be in the Gainesville area San Felasco or Santos would be better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    We did everything but hidden rise and pine for you. I ran out of water and was feeling a little dehydrated so we headed back. Dropped my phone on Conquistador and had to ride it 3 times to find it. Awesome Trails, cant wait to go back.
    Conquistador three times?!?! Once is enough for me. I usually start on the west side, off of Hammock Hub and ride it counter clockwise. Seems a bit easier. When riding clockwise, that last hill on the west side is a doozy for me!!!!
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

XXIX
    Conquistador three times?!?! Once is enough for me. I usually start on the west side, off of Hammock Hub and ride it counter clockwise. Seems a bit easier. When riding clockwise, that last hill on the west side is a doozy for me!!!!
    Not by choice lol. If it was a cheaper phone I would have left it after the second lap.