Thread: Oak Mtn

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

Oak Mtn

Heading to Oak Mtn next weekend to ride.

Does anyone know the route that the XTerra race used ?

From what I can tell the trail(s) is pretty easy to follow. Are there any areas that I especially need to hit ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not sure of the exterra course, but you should at least ride Jekyll and Hyde, West Ridge and Boulder Ridge, and the flow trail (Lightning). These are all accessible from the main loop. If you go to Bump.org, you can find a good trail map as well as more info from the local riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    From someone who's only been there a few times it's really easy to navigate. Maps are posted at multiple spots, hiking only trails are clearly identified, shouldn't have a problem linking the above trails together. Don't skip Boulder Ridge, crazy stuff. I was wishing for flat pedals once or twice (or 10xs, who's counting).

Fun place, make sure to stop in on my travels on that part of country any chance I get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ran the exterra race 2 years ago and I don't think it followed the mtb trail the whole time. the race entered the woods on the trail and followed it a little ways but seems like it veered off and on the trail shortly after that. I remember we ran on the fire road for a little while but turned to the right off of it before the long hill climb.

after that there were some real steep (but very short distance-wise) hills that slowed everyone down on foot. I don't see how anyone could climb them on a mtb.

mtbr member
    This years xterra had dfferent routes for different classes. Some if I remember went up jekyl n hyde and then did a clockwise loop, some only did a clockwise loop. Not completely sure though.