mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Oak mountain AL in Jan?

Me and a few buddy's in Louisville are hoping to make a troop down South the weekend of the 6th in hopes of warmer dryer conditions.....so is oak mountain worth the trip? Would are time be better spent somewhere else and can anyone fill me in on trail conditions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I live in Nashvilleand haven't been there in about a year but it would be worth your drive. They have a lot of about everything. Hope this helps and you all have a great ride.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 12-24-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: My brain needs spell check :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    I live in Nashvilleand haven't been there in about a year but it would be worth your drive. They have a lot of about everything. Hope this helps and you all have a great ride.
    Thanks man. I guess i might need to get on the local form down there for some trail info

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just talked to a couple of guys from AL and they said Oak Mountain is pretty good right now, so I suspect a couple of weeks won't kill it.

mtbr member
    Last night we had alot of storms with flash flood warnings. This morning a friend rode it and reported very little standing water. Basically it's one of the few trails that always has good conditions. For a one day trip, hit Oak mtn. If you have two, add Tannehill or Coldwater. Coldwater is a 2-3 mile climb with a 3 mile downhill, very little pedaling on the way down. About 40-50 jumps at least. None of which require a pilot's license.....

mtbr member

Raccoon mountain

I would suggest hitting raccoon mountain and five points on your way back home. Raccoon mountain is in chattanooga and five points is very close by.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    if you go to oak mountail. swayback is only about 45 minutes from Oak. both are great traisl

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Second hitting the Chattanooga stuff while you're in the area. It's close and worth the time.

Enterprise South on the other end of town from Raccoon Mtn is good as well. They're easy trails without much climbing, but they're crazy fast. Especially good if you have newbies in the group and want something everyone can enjoy. They're short so it's easy to combine them with RM for a nice day of riding.
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    We will be running ,65 south from Louisville to Nashville so Chattanooga is out of the way this time. But im down in that area riding motorcycles every summer so this is good to know. We probably would have when to NC or east Tennessee but i was worried about rain/snow this time of year

mtbr member
    If you are traveling I-65 south, then a stop at Monte Sano in Huntsville is mandatory

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side View Post
    If you are traveling I-65 south, then a stop at Monte Sano in Huntsville is mandatory
    Interesting

mtbr member
    Monte Sano, good technical stuff.
    I don't know what type of stuff you want to ride, but Coldwater has been called one of the best downhills in the southeast.
    BUMP is having a workday so alot of members will be out, they work till noon, usually have a member do something good for lunch and ride afterwards. An out of towner MIGHT talk them out of some lunch even though it's usually for workday volunteers. There is also a big group ride at Coldwater Saturday at 9:00am central time. Want to know what all is going on in the area?
    Try these links.
    BUMP

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/317903591589725/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/bumpinham/

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlegsracer View Post
    Monte Sano, good technical stuff.
    I don't know what type of stuff you want to ride, but Coldwater has been called one of the best downhills in the southeast.
    BUMP is having a workday so alot of members will be out, they work till noon, usually have a member do something good for lunch and ride afterwards. An out of towner MIGHT talk them out of some lunch even though it's usually for workday volunteers. There is also a big group ride at Coldwater Saturday at 9:00am central time. Want to know what all is going on in the area?
    Try these links.
    BUMP

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/317903591589725/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/bumpinham/
    We are leaving from Louisville at about 8am (eastern timezone) Saturday morning, and making two stops along the way to pick up other guys. I'd venture a guess at departing Nashville a little after 11am.

From the YouTube videos Monte Sano looks like a blast and being pretty rocky and technical. We are all noobish, but I'd say we ride decently. Certainly no cross country racers or down hill gurus, just a bunch of motorcycle guys who bought bicycles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've gotta go to Coldwater soon. That place looks awesome!