mtbr member
    May 2005

NW GA and Tansai Shuttle trails

I know this is not necessarily a popular question but I'm looking for trails that can be shuttled and later ridden solo. I'll be in the Winder area and have some friends who are gonna be in Blairsville. I have ridden most of the urban trails around Atlanta but never up (except the Ellijay DH course) there because I typically travel solo. Since I have some others to meet me, I'd like to shuttle some of these trails and become familiar with the area so when I'm solo it's less of an issue. Plus the people that I'm meeting have never ridden any long descents and I think they'd have a blast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do you mean Pinhoti? Tanasi is over in Tennessee by the Ocoee River and is not typically shuttled since the trails form loops. If you are talking about shuttled downhill trails then it's probably Pinhoti. Unfortunately I can't offer you any advice on those. But I solo Tanasi a couple of times a year and it's no problem to link up loops. The best trail by the Ocoee though in my opinion is the Brush Creek Trail, which is not technically part of Tanasi because it's on the other side of the river. Smooth, flowy, good views, plus it's real single track. A lot of the Tanasi trails are old fire road. Stop into the Ocoee Whitewater Center for maps. I think it's closed for the season right now but should open up within the next few weeks. [edit] If you are looking for downhill at Tanasi then Thunder Rock Express is the downhill. I do not enjoy that but it's the one downhill riders love.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks. I'm just not fimilar with the area at all. I'm thinking Bear, P1, P2 and maybe shuttle P3 one day.

Looking at some trail maps. Im wondering when riding Brushy, does it intersect with 64 and what's the climb like to Thunderock?

Also, does the trailhead at the top of Oswald have trails that run back to 64? Looks like Benton Falls to Clemmer might or Azalea to Clear Creek.

What's a typical route that you run out there? Thanks

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I've shuttled Bear Creek before. It was a long time ago though before the trail was "reworked", now I don't know if it would really be worth shuttling. I don't know if it was really worth shuttling before either, just climb it.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I usually park at the Brush Creek Trailhead right on Hwy 64, then I ride out Brush Creek (don't miss the right turn just downhill from the road). It's 6 or 7 miles to the junction with the Brush Creek Spur, keep left to stay on the main trail, then at the T I take the connector up to Boyd Gap overlook to enjoy the scenery (short but steep climb). Then I ride back down the connector and go the other way at the T to ride down the steep switchbacks of the Brush Creek Spur, this joins back into the trail so turn left to get back to the car, about 13 miles or so I'm told. Keep in mind this is not technical riding but smooth, flowing, singletrack with a wilderness feel.

If you want something shorter, then you could just take the road back out to Hwy 64 from the Boyd Gap overlook and back to your car, if you want something longer you could ride down the other trail that leads from Boyd Gap overlook to another road, follow it downhill to Old Copper Road, follow it downstream along the Ocoee River to the Whitewater Center (mind the roots) and figure out if you want to keep riding. Those are my typical routes.

As for Thunder Rock, I would not ride up it under any circumstances. Steep as $%i# and dangerous if there is any downhill traffic. For that matter it's pretty dangerous going downhill. There are a couple of sections where you will not be able to stop without crashing. The climb up to it will be circuitous and several miles of more gradual climbing but it pretty much makes my knees hurt whichever way I go. If you are in shape and less than 40 then good to go, if you are not in shape and/or over 40 it may seem like a bit of work for the payoff, but then I don't like downhill.

With regard to Clemmer, I've ridden it several times and it's a brutal uphill but not very technical as it is "fire road". It's quite feasible to shuttle that one. I blogged it a long time ago. I'm a better rider now and have a better bike.

Ravine Ravings: Clemmer Trail by Mountain Bike

I also went back a bit later to explore some more of the trail system on Chilhowee Mountain.

Ravine Ravings: In Search of the Epic, Unrideable, East Coast Hike-a-Bike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks. Thats what I was looking for. I'm 48, pretty good shape but raced BMX into my mid 30s. So the DH appeals to me more but really just like being on the bike. Even if I'm pushing it. Ha.
    We'll probably do the short Brushy route and try to figure the top and bottom trailheads to shuttle Clemmer.
    Cool blogs. I'll look at them a little better tomorrow when I have access to a computer. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    The Clemmer trail is worth the climb. In reality the uphill is only a little over 2.5 miles, with the first 1/4 mile being the hardest. At the top is a nice little camp ground with pond. Stop at the waterfalls which is near the top. It's a nice decent with the overall loop about 11 miles. Nothing too tech but several creek crossings and a few rocks involved. It's pretty much a straight bomb run the last 2.5 miles coming down. Don't crash hard, it's fairly remote and you'll average about 25-30mph coming down. I'm in my 40's and not much of a downhill fan, but I love this one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    The Clemmer trail is worth the climb. In reality the uphill is only a little over 2.5 miles, with the first 1/4 mile being the hardest. At the top is a nice little camp ground with pond. Stop at the waterfalls which is near the top. It's a nice decent with the overall loop about 11 miles. Nothing too tech but several creek crossings and a few rocks involved. It's pretty much a straight bomb run the last 2.5 miles coming down. Don't crash hard, it's fairly remote and you'll average about 25-30mph coming down. I'm in my 40's and not much of a downhill fan, but I love this one.
    Which trails are you riding at the top to get the eleven miles? And do you know the name of the campground? I might stay the night and meet them in Ellijay later.

mtbr member
    Chilhowee camp ground. You Would have to check if the facilities are open when you are planning to visit. The primitive camp grounds are open year round, but I believe that the bathrooms, electricity, and etc are closed during the winter. According to Strava it's 13 miles from the trailhead (Clemmer) up to the campground around the little pond and parking lot with 1681 feet elevation. That's up and back. Brush creek can be had from the campground as well. The Ocoee white water center is just down the road with good riding as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks. I'll be there sometime around the first week of April. I'll check.