mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Night Riding in the Upstate (SC)

Hi all,

Can you legeally ride the local trails at night. Tour de Dump, Newberry, Issaqueena? Are there any group rides?

Thanks

RT

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

As far as I know...

YOu can ride at the dump at any time of night, any day of the week, as far as I know, I've never been hassled. Isaquenna is an experimental forest and there is an organized night ride there during the winter months on Tuesday nights with the local roadie fags, I mean ..., anyway, I think folks meet there around 6 on tuesdays and it splits to two groups. There is a vicious rumor that you can ride at Paris MT. (on legal days, ie. monday, wenesday, Friday, Sunday) so long as you are out of the park by 8, and I mean out. But I would confirm this because the posted rules say dusk. Ty and the park have been pro moutain bike, and I think the upstate would like to keep this, so ask before you push the limits. Other than that, head to NC because the forest service doesn't have hours on usage. But regardless, make sure to ride conservatively and have your ducks in a row, regardless of light, evacs don't make land managers happy. Peace. Nick

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks. I am moving back down in the next couple of weeks, and no night riding was my biggest fear. It would kill me to not be able to get my ride fix on during the week.

From the local clubs website, sounds like there is not a lot "group rides" that happen (other than Issaqueena).

RT

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Issaqueena: me and a couple buddies ride there sometimes Tuesdays sometimes Wednesdays, no set schedule, all depends on work requirements...but on both nights there seems to be a large (8-12) riders that get started around 630-7ish... don't know if its organized through a shop or not...Maybe SunshineCycles in Clemson?...

Riding the Southside loop on several occassions, it was on a tuesday and there is always some other folks nightriding. Gusto cycles (in Grrr) used to have a group ride....not sure if theyre still doing it

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I talked to Ty the other day about night riding at Paris Mt. Currently, it is not allowed. The park closes at 5:30 during winter months. He did say that if there is enough interest they could justify opening the park for night rides. He recommended getting a petition together through the G-ville spinners. Contact him and let him know you are interested.
    We also have a small group that does some night riding but our times are eradic. We typically leave from a trailhead in Issequena around 5:30 to 6:00.
    I think that there are small groups of people ridding most nights at both southside and Isq. We were at southside a few Wed. ago and there was a group of about 6-7people riding.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks again....that is good news.

Thanks again.

Looks like my wifes job is going to come through, so she should be down soon. All I gotta do is find one now. I cant wait to get back down there, I have been itching to ride Issaqueena again.

RT

mtbr member

Greenwood

There is a group in Greenwood that rides every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:00 on the Long Cane Horse Trail. Typical ride is around 17 miles, sometimes more, just depends on the group. The trail is freakin' awesome right now and it's only an hour south of Greenville.