mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Newbie in AL needing help

hey guys im new to the whole biking deal and was seeing if I could get some help... im looking to purchase my first bike, I know I want a hardtail forsure... I have a trek/specialized dealer along with a cannondale dealer around town. im about 6'2" and about 180 if that comes into perspective.. if you can think of a good beginner bike that would last me a year or so to see if im gonna like riding then if I do ill take the next step..any help is appreciated thanks in advance..

cowbell
    Consider this before you buy a bike that will last you a year. You're going to spend at least $500. If you plan to sell that bike if you don't like this as much as you though, the resale on it will be nothing. If you buy a nicer bike - say $1200 to $1500, you can potentially ride that bike for a much longer time. Maybe a few parts need upgrading, but you'll get a good frame, and if you look to the upper end, maybe a decent fork as well. If you don't like it, you can sell it and at least get something for it. While if you like this, you buy the cheap bike, then a year later turn around and buy another - then you're looking at having spent $500 on a bike you aren't riding any more, and can't sell for anything. And that's enough money to put a decent set of wheels on a bike in that other price range. If you're stuck on the less expensive bike, I recommend you visit your LBS and ride everything in your acceptable price range, and buy what feels best when you ride it. If you think my advice sounds like good sense....go to your LBS and ride everything in your acceptable price range and buy what feels best to you. At this point, I suspect you see a pattern developing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    thanks man that helps a little im goin to the LBS this weekend and do some riding

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I rode 2 cannondales today really like the 29er trail 2012 version its white and dark red...im also lookin at the 29er diamond overdrive v and 26er response let me know wht yall think

cowbell
    Well, the Cdale is a nice bike. Have ridden the other two yet? Rides really do make all the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ok so I went to another lbs and I have threw the cannondale out because I find I like the hydro brakes better than mech brakes....so now I have these 2 and I need input on both..the 2013 trek mamba or the 2013 specialized rockhopper? let me here yalls opinions thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I live in Alabama and recently went with the Rockhopper as recommended by my LBS. Several folks in my town have them and I get nothing but great feed back so far.
    Brakes are terrific, certainly compared to the other much older bikes and trikes I've ridden.