Thread: New to Memphis

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New to Memphis

Been here about a month and all is well. Found Stanky Creek and have plans for the other local trails soon.

But I really miss the Socal and WA state stuff. Long, epic rides and trails that have both swoopy stuff and technical flow as well.

So, the short question is where do I go, within 1.5-2 hr drive, of Memphis, to find some longer trails with real climbs? Or if nothing within 1.5-2 hrs, how far do I have to go?

mtbr member

Nothing within 2 hours!

If you are looking for riding like Mt. Tam and Skyline, you will have to drive longer than 1.5-2 hours. Unlike CA and CO the Memphis area has a much longer commute for outdoor entertainment.

I have not traveled anywhere in TN other than Jackson, Nashville and Columbia, and none offer riding like you are requesting. With that said, I have heard that Birmingham, AL has some great riding. East and Southeast TN are also great. However, this gets in the range of > 4 hours travel time.

I have also heard that AR has some great riding outside of Little Rock, but I have never been. This is probably around 3 hours.

Best of Luck!
    Let me know if you find a good place within a couple of hours.
    Last edited by jspharmd; 02-14-2006 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, I guess I don't really expect rides like you'd find in the Cascades or Sierra, or whatever. I guess I meant something longer and cooler than a 9 mile twisty trail with very little elevation change. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Stanky Creek, I just want more, you know?

Dex
    mtbr member
    Maybe a few trails in Mississippi might be of interest to you.

Noxubee Crest Trails south of Ackerman.

More photos of Noxubee Crest

Bonita Lake Trails in Meridian.

More photos of Bonita lakes

Hope this info was of some help?
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    If you are looking for epic rides, Arkansas has 2. Syllamo and Womble. Syllamo is located in N Central/NE Arkansas and the Womble is located west of Hot Springs. Syllamo has recently expanded it's trail system to about 65 miles (over 3 or 4 loops) I think. Womble is 37 miles long.

Check bikearkansas.com for more info on either trail. Minno Arkansas trails/races at AMBCS.com, most of the race venues are good riding areas.

In Little Rock (about 2.5 hours west) we have the CARP (carpclub.com) trails, 40+ miles of singletrack. These trails are worth the drive. All you have to do is join CARP ($10/year at all central AR bike shops or you can join online). Thes trails are on a National Guard post, so to get a visitors pass you need a vaild DL (sometimes they run a DL check), proof of insurance on your vehicle and vehicle title if you drive. If you ride with someone else you only need a DL and a CARP card. If you are military all you have to do is show a mil ID. Don't know if they require mil people to have a CARP card or not.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Squalor
    Jan 2004

Fellow Memphian Here

Well - you've pretty much heard the story.

We do not have anything that is very long. The best long loop we have is to tie together the Wolf River Trails and the Tour de Wolf at Shelby Farms. That gives you about a 18 mile loop if you skip the section of the Wolf River Trails north of Walnut Grove that takes you towards Summer Av, with that additional section of trail you can squeeze in almost 25 miles of trail. Nothing technical and NO climbing, but trail nonetheless.

So that loop, Stanky Creek, and Herb Parsons is pretty much all we have for mileage on the trail. Herbs is actually my favorite, some good log jumps and a beautiful trail. There are plans in the works to squeeze about 10 miles of singletrack in at that location, hopefully before the spring.

Jackson has a trail, but it is not worth the trip.

The Nashville area has a few trails, but nothing of any real distance. Montgomery Bell just west of Nashville and Chickasaw Trace in Columbia are both fun trails.

For the distance riding, you really have to go to Arkansas. In the spring there are lots of trips to both the Womble and Syllamo. Syllamo will give you all you want....Rocks - check, Climbing - check, Downhill - check, Great Views - check

There is also a trail in Potosi, MO called Berryman that I have heard is nice, but I have never been there. If I am traveling for trail I am either going towards Chattanooga (have friends there) or more likely AR. The trails in AR really are great. Better than anything I have ever ridden.

To stay up to date on rides in the city check out the Mid-South Trails Association message board. Anything happening in the city related to a MTB will likely be posted there.

http://midsouthtrails.com/phpBB2/ind...4a2227ab062eed

If you see me on the trail, say hi. I'll be the skinny guy riding a SS 29er.

Do you also ride on the road? If not, you should probably take it up. There are some pretty good road rides in the area as well to keep you in shape for the weekend MTB trips and out of town events.

Lance