mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Good job! New to the forums, sport, and moving to a new city (Huntsville AL).

Hello all,

My name is Paul, I'm new to riding, bought my cannondale trail 6 29er about 2 months ago, have ridden just about everyday since. I currently live in the Gulf Shores area but will be moving to Huntsville AL by the end of next week.

I just wanted to say hello to any fellow riders in the HSV area and wonder if you guys have any local Co-op programs at any shops, clubs, etc?

Look forward to my first ride on Monte Sano in the next couple of weeks and maybe I'll run into a few of you soon.

Paul

re member
    Hi! I'm a local there. If you want a trail guide some time, let me know. I'm riding at MS almost daily lately.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Pablo!

net worker - teach that kid the ropes, he needs as much help as he can get before I get up there to visit him(my brother) and kick his butt all around the trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Hi! I'm a local there. If you want a trail guide some time, let me know. I'm riding at MS almost daily lately.
    Hey Net Wurker,

Thanks, I will definitely take you up on that offer! That avatar of yours, I've seen it many time recently while browsing youtube videos of MonteSano. Are you affiliated with Fletch Dog Productions?

Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Pablo!

net worker - teach that kid the ropes, he needs as much help as he can get before I get up there to visit him(my brother) and kick his butt all around the trails
    Hey Mat,

I'm hoping by the time you guys make it up, I'll have had lots of ride time! My goal is to leave your tail behind One can dream eh?

re member
    Paul, yes, I am Fletchydog productions. Me and my GoPro....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Paul, yes, I am Fletchydog productions. Me and my GoPro....
    You have some great videos from the area and trails, thanks for all the time you've put into them! I look forward to meeting you one day soon!

re member
    Same here! You'll love the trails at Monte Sano...kinda rocky and technical, hope that's your thing.

And, this is Fletch. He is no longer with us. He was a great dog!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to the forums, sport, and moving to a new city (Huntsville AL).-fletch.jpg  

re member
    Paul, here's a link to my Vimeo page. There may be some videos on here that didn't make it to Youtube. Lots of Monte Sano.....

https://vimeo.com/morgan48

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Technical will be a challenge at first, from your vids and others like yours, it seems to be pretty rocky, I've been riding road, dirt roads, and some local trails (dirt with limited elevation). So anything beyond dirt and tarmac will be new, exciting, and challenging... sort of like my move up.

That's a handsome dog, sorry to hear about your loss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Paul, here's a link to my Vimeo page. There may be some videos on here that didn't make it to Youtube. Lots of Monte Sano.....

https://vimeo.com/morgan48
    Thank you sir! I'll have look now!

re member
    If you like riding tech stuff, you're in for a treat! if not, yer gonna hate it. Actually, there are about 10 miles or so worth of trails up top that are fairly smooth and flowy. Anything else, once you drop off the top and into the moutnain, it's mostly super-chunk everywhere.

re member
    When are you getting into town?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you like riding tech stuff, you're in for a treat! if not, yer gonna hate it. Actually, there are about 10 miles or so worth of trails up top that are fairly smooth and flowy. Anything else, once you drop off the top and into the moutnain, it's mostly super-chunk everywhere.
    Never ridden anything super technical, I've only been biking for about 2 months but I think I'll be 100% okay with it... anything fun, with moments of "that was close" will be perfect for me! My bike will need upgrading, I'm riding a budget 13' Cannondale trail 6 29er.. I'll be fine with the rocks as long as my bike can handle it

When are you getting into town?
    We're aiming for Thrusday-Friday, start work on the 28th so it'll have to be for the weekend at least. We'll be around Owen's crossroad for 1-3 months till our house down near Gulf Shores rents/sells then we'll be more towards Bailey's cove... hopefully

re member
    So did you want to ride this weekend? Or is moving weekend too hectic already? Where are you going to be working?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So did you want to ride this weekend? Or is moving weekend too hectic already? Where are you going to be working?
    Next weekend for sure, this weekend will be an epic cluster.... we have lots to do.

I'll be working with an IT Company named "F1 Solutions", seem to be really great people!

re member
    Cool! Let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Will do!

mtbr member
    Not to hijack, but... where is the section shown @ 2:15 in the Monte Sano Chunk video?

Was just there on Friday, but only got to ride the Goat Trail and Mountain Mist inside the park, plus Warpath and Red Lizard on the Land Trust.

That downhill minefield on Red Lizard is the most technical 'trail' I've ever ridden. What a fantastic challenge that was! It took a little blood and skin from me, but it was worth it. :-)

re member
    That is the second newest trail out there....I'm not sure it's even named. If you ride out to Oshaunassy Point, (the very top intersection where Warpath starts) and ride away on South Plateau trail, going opposite the way that heads back to the parking lot, after about 75 yards or so you will see the McKay's Hollow drop in on the left, where that little bench shelter is. You ride down McKay's Hollow for about 150 yards, and on your left you will see a trail entrance (unmarked).... that is the tail @ 2:15. It connects back around to Goat.

And yeah, Red Lizard is pretty thick chunk. What did you do once you got to the bottom of that? To get back up?

Here is some video from when we were building on that trail a couple winters ago. My dog wore the GoPro for trail day!

mtbr member

Re: New to the forums, sport, and moving to a new city (Huntsville AL).

I hiked back up that part and finished out my goat lap, which was my original intent. My foray to the lizard was a happy accident.

re member
    Kewl. I love coming down warpath....it's a blast, espicially that stuff at the bottom right before you pop out into the power lines area.

re member
    Great ride today, Paul. Here's the video....

Nov-3 from Clay Morgan on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Clay,

Had such a great time with you this morning and again this afternoon with you and your wife.

This morning was very challenging... in a good way. Can't wait to see how the bike rolls with a few upgrades in a few weeks. As long as the weather holds, I'll be going out again next weekend... more than likely Sat & Sun. Probably take the missus out again Sunday one afternoon just me and her so we can roll at our own pace and have a little adventure!

Great ride today, Paul. Here's the video....

Nov-3 from Clay Morgan on Vimeo.

re member
    What kind of terrain are you looking to ride on the non-GF (saturday?) ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What kind of terrain are you looking to ride on the non-GF (saturday?) ride?
    Probably do some South Plateau, Bucca, to Mountain mist, then up the sinks, etc. May be up for some more of that chunk too :-D