Kid disguised as an adult

Need some travel advice going through or around Louisville KY and Nashville TN

I'm reposting this from the Off Camber forum:

We're driving from Michigan to Alabama for the first time on Friday 5/2 and were wondering about any recommended routes through or around Louisville and Nashville. I'd rather rely on local knowledge than what the electronic stuff tells me.

We're coming down I-71 to Louisville and getting on I-65 south, but would we be better off taking the I-264 or I-265 loops around to I-65 south rather than going straight through town?

When we get to Nashville should we just stay on I-65 through town or take one of the alternate routes around the city and back on to I-65 South?

We'd appreciate any guidance from those who know the areas.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

mtbr member
    Nashville will depend a little on time of day. If you get here in the afternoon, after, say...3 pm, and you're going south, you just as well get a hotel room in Nashville. Otherwise, stay on 65.

Ok, you won't actually need a hotel room. Just be aware that 65 is the best route for you in Nashville, regardless of time of day, but be aware that between 3 and 7 traffic and suck worse than you imagine. People not from Nashville doubt that, but I'm telling you - the number of people who have come from all over the world to Nashville to work in the music industry all drive differently, and when LA meets NY meets Idaho meets KY....madness ensues.

Kid disguised as an adult
    Hey, thanks for the info! I appreciate the warning. Chances are we'll be coming through at the peak of the madness, around 4-5pm, but if we know what to expect it'll be easier to just relax, stay on 65 and go with the flow.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.