mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Need help with tire size

I am trying to pick up Continental Vertical 2.3 or Kenda Nevegal 2.1 for my boyfriend. He rides 2010 Trek 3900 Hardtail and would like new tires. I called some local bike shops to see if they have them in stock and thatís when one of the bike shops told me that 2.3 tire on this bike will be too big. We ride in Florida (rocks, roots, sand) and I need help in deciding what size tire. I know that both Kenda and Continental are great tires but itís the size that I am concern. Now I ride 2010 Trek 3700 and was thinking if I get him Kenda 2.1 and if he wants to go bigger I can putt Kenda on my bike. I donít know, if you know anything that can help me with the size I would appreciate. Thanks

ChiliPepper1
    Just stay with the 2.1's then. If the LBS said that the 2.3's are going to be to wide, then trust them on that one. Some bikes just will not take a 2.3 or larger. The 2.1's are a good size for FL riding. At least they are fast with very little rolling resistance compared to the 2.3's. Yeah, I know, not a whole lot, but they do have less rolling resistance. You really do not need big tires for FL riding, especially if just XC riding. Riding like I do, gravity riding, you need at least some 2.3's and larger. Those Kenda's are some great tires with sure grip. Anyways, good luck and the best of riding for the two of you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks so much, I decided to go with Nevegal 2.1 in back and Blue Groove 2.1 in front. I guess let him test those out and if he wants to go bigger then he can order them later. I know he wants to built downhill bike so I guess I can get him 2.35 for that bike.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosanka
    Thanks so much, I decided to go with Nevegal 2.1 in back and Blue Groove 2.1 in front. I guess let him test those out and if he wants to go bigger then he can order them later. I know he wants to built downhill bike so I guess I can get him 2.35 for that bike.
    I'd put them the other way around. Nevegal always up front
    Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think im just going to let him decide what he wants to do, he would know better then me anyway, im just a girl who loves to ride but putt me in a shop and Houston we gotta problem lol. I already order them and they will be here Thursday canít wait for him to see them.

TRANCER
    Did you order both as 2.1? If so thats perfect and he will definately put the Nevegal up front when he sees what he has
    Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yea I got both as 2.1 and ill let you know which one he put up front...

TRANCER
    Ride

Where is my mind?
    For future reference the Verticle tires at 2.3 are narrower than the Nevegals 2.1. The Nevegals are better tires.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Its got what plants crave
    Nevegals run a little big too. I think the 2.35 Nevegal is closer to 2.5

I'd run BG front and Nev rear myself. It's not going to roll fast but it will hook up for sure.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Trail Junkie
    Bosanka, I ride oleta and markham regulary (miami lakes local). I would say the Nevegals would be a better choice, but they don't hook up that great for the terrain we have down here..that and they weigh quite a bit! I know I am a bit too late on the respond but also consider maybe Maxxis Ignitor (front) Crossmark (rear). They hook up really well and roll fast! If you run tubes make sure to buy Exception series, if you run tubeless no bigger than 2.1s..but they do make 2.3s which provides quite a bit of extra bite in the corners (loose over hardpack) Either way, happy riding, Nevs are good tires...just more suited for riding out west.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3