mtbr member
    May 2010

Need advice on Ft. Yargo

I am just getting into mountain biking and live near Ft. Yargo. I've been to Chicopee and rode the tortoise trail and felt pretty comfortable.

Are there any trails at Ft. Yargo that compare to this? Which ones should I stay away from that might get too difficult?

mtbr member
    The trails at Yargo might be a bit more challenging but just walk the parts you don't feel comfortable riding.

mtbr member
    there is an inner loop. I think it was 8 miles, but it should be considered a beginner loop, but mostly just because of distance, slightly easier trails. Most everything at Yargo isn't that technically difficult. It's basically two big loops (inner and outer), with a few trails connecting them, back and forth along the way. It goes around a lake, so once you're out, you're pretty committed to at least 8 miles.

If you go the outer loop, you'll want to skip the horseshoe drop, and the monster mile (there's bypasses for both).

Other than that, just maintain a safe, comfortable speed, and walk anything that scares you. < There's really no other way to learn. bring plenty of water, and food. spare tube and pump, bike tool. have fun.

you can get a trail map at http://yaba.homestead.com/Trails.html
    Last edited by d365; 05-10-2010 at 06:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you live near Ft Yargo then you are also very close to the trails at Harbins park in Gwinnett....maybe 10 miles from Yargo...there are 4 trails currently with a 5th being built. Harbins is part of the Gwinnett parks system in Gwinnett County....also the Gwinnett Area Trail Riders (GATR) are always around...check it out too!

mtbr member
    Lot of local knowledge can be found here

SORBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yargo is definitely more challenging than chicopee. The trails are narrower and there are more roots and obstacles. Having said that it is a good choice for a change of pace. If I were you I would ride the rest of the loops at chicopee first and see how you do. IMHO the outer loop at chicopee is easier than the big loop at yargo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    Yargo is definitely more challenging than chicopee. The trails are narrower and there are more roots and obstacles. Having said that it is a good choice for a change of pace. If I were you I would ride the rest of the loops at chicopee first and see how you do. IMHO the outer loop at chicopee is easier than the big loop at yargo.
    You must not ride the same Chicopee that I ride. Ride all 21 miles at Chicopee and see how you feel compared to the 12 mile outer loop at Yargo. Not to take anything away from Yargo and all the hard work YABA has done out there but it doesn't have as much variety as Chicopee and I don't think it's any more technical than sections of Chicopee IMHO. Still a great trail!

To the OP - Yargo seems more challenging due to the length of the one trail and the fact that it's directional. I'd suggest you study the map and get familiar with the main roads throughout the park. You can always ride several miles of single track then detour on a hard road back to the parking lot as there are several places where you come close to a road or cross one.

If you're riding Chicopee you can also ride out on the White Tail and ride the Red Tail loop then back to the Tortoise for another 3 miles or so. Or ride out to the Fly'n Squirrel and cut it short by taking the bypass to the White Tail. There are lots of options to mix it up and ride different trails to taylor your ride to the length and dificulty you want.