mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Need 29" rear tire suggestion for south Florida trails

I've got a full suspension 29er and am having a hard time finding the right rear tire for me. I run tubeless and have a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 in front which I'm satisfied with.

First I had a Rocket Ron that my bike came with. I was satisfied with it's light weight and low rolling resistance but traction left a lot to be desired.

Then I tried a 2.1 Crossmark LUST. I rode it through most of the summer and generally liked it despite it being a little heavier than I would like. The problem is that it started loosing traction too easily now that it's been getting drier out.

I ditched the Crossmark and put a matching Nevegal on the rear. I took it for the first ride today and couldn't be more thrilled with the traction in the turns and on climbs but it just takes way too much effort to pedal.

I'm looking for something lighter than the Nevegal and Crossmark with less rolling resistance but is still knobby enough to rip through corners. I'd like to keep the width between 2.0-2.2.

It seems like Specialized's Captain or Ground Control might work for me. Anyone have experience with those riding south Florida trails like Amelia or Markham? Can you suggest any other tires I should consider?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The 2.25 racing Ralph is popular and is the tire I will replace my specialized fast track control with once it wears out. The Maxxis ikon is also very popular down here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For me the best all around tire there is the Maxxis Ignitor. All my bikes except one have them. Works in sand, some mud, loose over hardpack, and even rocks. One of the few tires I have complete faith in. I like the Nevegals alot as well, but are a bit slow. My race bike has a Rocket Ron rear and Racing Ralph front. They are not that great except for going fast, traction is sub par in all areas. I tried the Kenda slant six too but it would slip and lose traction standing still, not really but not any better or worse than the Schwalbes.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ignitor here as well

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Ignitor front with Crossmark rear is a good combo...

Currently I'm running RR 2.25 front and crossmark rear on a FS Anthem X 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Geax Saguaro 2.2 front and rear. Tubeless, 22 psig front and 26 psig rear.

mtbr member
    I'll second the Geax Saguaros. I've been running them front and rear for about 2-1/2 years now and they are a good all around tire for varying conditions.

mtbr member
    I really liked the Racing Ralphs I was using on a rental @ Balm.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I am not sure if you can run tubeless on them or not. However, my Continental MountainKing tires have amazing grip and great flow on the trials. Might want to look into it.
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

I'm Slow
    Ground control is really nice.

Also Specialized has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. So you can try a tire for 30 days and if you don't like it just return it. You only get store credit back, but I've used this to try some tires.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Maxxis Ikon EXO

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    SAGUARO TNT!!!!! geax makes great tubeless tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use the Ignitor on my 26 and love it up front with a Captain on the back. For the 29, I love the Fast Trak 2.2 SWorks on both ends. The Purgatory up front and Ground Control on rear that came stock were pretty good too. If they were lighter, I would use them more.

So far the Fast Trak SWorks is the fastes, lightest tire that I feel confident with. The Racing Ralph is a favorite down here, but I don't trust it. It has washed out on me many times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have Captains as my front and back. Only recently put them on but so far they seem great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up going with a Ground Control S-Works. It's been riding great so far. It's a little skinny for a 2.1 so I may end up swapping for a 2.3 but I'll ride this for now and see how it goes.