mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Nashville Rent-a-bike vs. Mother in law. Help!

I'm in Nashville the week of 4/12 with the inlaws, who live in Greenhills.

I need to rent a bike to get away. I've googled the MOAB bike shop near Natchez Trace trail. However, that seems to be the kind of paved trail where you need a bell & basket on your handlebars to politely warn others of your presence.

Is there anyplace better I could consider? I probably won't have a car to drive (drop off & pickup at LBS by wife), so I'd need trail access reasonably close to LBS.

I'm willing to go roadie, too, if that's a better alternative.

Much appreciated. If you're ever coming to north or central Jersey, let me know how I can help.

big daddy
    Nov 2004

trace

I don't know about off-road trails in the area but you won't find a better place than the Trace to ride on road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Chickasaw and Lock 4 are 2 of the best trails in the area. If you want rocky technical and I mean very rocky, Hamilton Creek is ok too. Out of all of them I think I'd ride lock 4 first.

You should call MOAB in Murfreesboro and see if they will rent you a bike. They seem to be nice guys, I stopped in to check out a Titus Eleven frame they had in the store and it was a nice facility.

enjoying the kool-aid
    I'm guessing you're in the area now... (4/13)

if you haven't already checked out MOAB in Murfresboro you can but Mufresboro is 30 miles from Greenhills.

You can check out Cumberland transit or bike pedlar on west end. They will be the closest bike shops to Green Hills.

You will need a ride though to a local trail as there aren't many close.

Closest trail is Hamilton Creek which is Exit 219 of 40East (Stewarts Ferry Pike Exit) about 25-30 min commute from Green Hills.

next would be Lock4 which is north in Galatin. Take 65North to Vietnam Vet's blvd. (a good 45 min commute from Green Hills)

then Fairview is next but isn't a great trail.

Monty Bell is next and a bit farther out than Lock4

The guys are CT or Pedlar can offer some advice too.

Head over to http://www.nashvillemountainbike.com also for a lot of great information about trails, riders, photos, and use the messageboard there to post up rides.

oh and Chickasaw is supposedly a great trail (I haven't ridden there yet) BUT... it is roughly an hour drive.

old and busted
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez
    oh and Chickasaw is supposedly a great trail (I haven't ridden there yet) BUT... it is roughly an hour drive.
    For shame, Greg. You need to get out there. There are some really fun and fast sections that weave in and out of the woods at Chickasaw. I like riding out there a lot.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by shivers
    For shame, Greg. You need to get out there. There are some really fun and fast sections that weave in and out of the woods at Chickasaw. I like riding out there a lot.

yea I know! This is what I hear! I wish it was closer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Update on rent a bike search

Kenfromjersey here.

Went to Moab bikes near Natchez Trace... and the shop closed! It's under new ownership called Trace Bikes. Things are just getting set up there, so it was a bit disorganized.

They plan on renting eventually, but don't currently.

So I'm bikeless for the time being. Thanks anyway for everyone's help.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by kenfromjersey
    Kenfromjersey here.

Went to Moab bikes near Natchez Trace... and the shop closed! It's under new ownership called Trace Bikes. Things are just getting set up there, so it was a bit disorganized.

They plan on renting eventually, but don't currently.

So I'm bikeless for the time being. Thanks anyway for everyone's help.

I'm not sure if you've already been there but check out http://www.nashvillemountainbike.com
    This site has almost all the shops in town are listed there.

There are a bunch of shops around that rent.

Cumberland Transit and Bike Pedlar are the closest to you in Green Hills. I know Cumberland rents bike.

I'm sorry you had to drive all the way out to the Natchez MOAB. Hopefully you ate at Loveless so not to make the trip in vain!

Goodluck

enjoying the kool-aid
    oh and Chickasaw trace trail might be close right now due to the fatal bear attack there this week.