mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Nashville advice

Greetings All,

I will be hanging around Nashville for a short vacation and am bringing my bike. I would like to know if there is anything fun and flowy to ride close to the city. I am an advanced XC rider but will be with a beginner girlfriend rider. Ideally I would like some place we both can ride and I can break off for a loop. Also hoping she can shop for day so I can shred some trails. We will have drove down from Toronto so I don't want to be driving too far to trail heads and don't mind riding a few miles to get to some. any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

cowbell
    For both of you, check out the trails and Cane Ridge Park. That's a project with multiple phases, currently I believe only Phase 1 is finished, although Phase 2 is well under way, and I can't promise they haven't finished it yet, or won't have by the time you're here. If you want to drive a little further, Gallatin has Lock 4, which is likely the most popular destination in this area, it's probably about 45 minutes, maybe an hour from down town Nashville. She would probably be ok on the green loops there, while you would likely get a kick out of the rest of it, although none of side of the road with the parking lot is too much for my 10 year old son. Some of the G-outs on the other side of the road are still a little intimidating to him.

If you're into longer rides, Montgomery Bell is about 45 minutes from down town as well, and there's much more trail there. That might be the place for you to head by yourself though. I recommend you check out Sorba Mid TN for directions, trail maps, etc. - let me know if you have other questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I will be sure to check out these spots.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    +1 for Montgomery Bell

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Lock 4 is also a bit out of town, but was my favorite trail when I lived there. Better riders can have a challenge with a fast run, and beginners simply take it a bit slower. Nice a flowy without a ton of elevation change.

Kneel Before Your Master

Re: Nashville advice

Cane ridge is too much in the beginning stages to mess with. Lock 4, montgomery bell, or chickasaw trace are some good trails. They are about 45min away.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bspeed View Post
    ...would like to know if there is anything fun and flowy to ride close to the city. I am an advanced XC rider but will be with a beginner girlfriend rider. Ideally I would like some place we both can ride and I can break off for a loop... We will have drove down from Toronto so I don't want to be driving too far to trail heads...
    I have been here since Jan. 2013 and have ridden most of the trails listed on the Mid TN Sorba website other than Lock 4. I moved here from the north east Georgia area where we have some fantastic single-track. So far, I have been disappointed with what Nashville has to offer. I don't consider Chickasaw, Montgomery Bell or Lock 4 in the Nashville area though as they're each about an hour drive from downtown.

Cane Ridge - Skip it. It's only 1.7 miles in length and it's brand new.

Montgomery Bell - It's about an hour west of Nashville. It has some really good technical places and is a great ride, but it doesn't have as much flow as some of the others. It has almost 20 miles of trail.

Hamilton Creek - is close to Nashville but not worth your time and doesn't fit the description of what you're looking for. It's rocky, not well maintained and will most likely be wet as it takes well over a week of dry weather for it to dry.

Chickasaw Trace - is about 50 minutes south of Nashville but is my favorite trail I have ridden thus far. It has a great mix of trails and would be my recommendation for you. It's about 8.5 miles of a good mix of single-track. It has some great log crossings, rock gardens, and great climbs and downhills with some fast, flowy areas as well. It's also really easy to navigate and your wife could easily do a shorter loop and cut across the park back to the car if you'd like to do a longer ride.

Like I said, I haven't ridden Lock 4, but I hear it is great as well.
    - KERSH -

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all y'alls input. Yesterday we drove out to Lock 4, only took about 40 minutes. The trails were great and in great shape too which is nice for us this early in the year. Fun flowy trails and everyone we encountered was real nice. We spent a few hours there.

Cheers,