mtbr member
    Jul 2009

My Boyette Experience

So me and two of my buds went to ride Boyette for the first time this past Saturday – it was an interesting time to say the least.

THE GOOD:

First off I want to give a HUGE thanks to Forum member Clay Roberts!!! The route he provided by sequential trail name was invaluable to say the least. I kept saying how lucky I was to have this – because trying to figure that place out on our own would have sucked a lot of fun out of the day.

Everyone I met at Boyette was super nice and helpful. The trails are so full of flow its almost unfair to have to settle for anything less. Pure win at that place. I like really technical rides but I’ve come to appreciate flow just as much thanks to Boyette. Unfortunately we had to cut the ride short and rush out of there (thank god we got to do ridgeline) – this is why………..

THE BAD

So everyone is at the trail head unpacking their gear. I grabbed my front wheel and almost fell to my knees….I searched around the truck, but it was just a formality – because once I saw no Thru axle in my fork I knew I left it 250 miles away in my South Florida garage.

Unbelievable!!! Okay so all is not lost…where there is a trail there is an LBS right. Some trail goers gave me a couple numbers. The first place didn’t st0ck the 15mm TA my Giant Trance X uses. But they gave me a number to a shop that was sure to have it AJ’s Bikes and Boards..Okay I feel not so bad now plus this is the second number that was given to me. I call em up and explain what happened. I drove 250 miles up and left my TA can you help me? The dude came back and said they didn’t have any in stock and can only order it but they can rent me a bike as an alternative. I explain that I really want to ride my bike and ask if they sell bikes that use the 15mm axle. I tell them I’m willing to pay for an axle and use one from their bike. He checks with the owner the owner says no and they keep offering the rental. I guess I have no choice. I drive 10 miles over there, to see a big GIANT sign in the window. Wow these guys are giant dealers, surely I can plead my case one more time right? They have 15mm axled bikes lining the walls and are putting more together in the work area. I offer to borrow an axle, pay for a new one, leave my DL and CC and return the axle free and clear. Still the guy says no. its Saturday and we cant have a bike down (“we are not going to part out a brand new bike for you” all smug and stuff) – like they are going to sell all those bikes in a day. So after about another hour of waiting for them to ready the rental, while leaving I see a freaking fox for with a 15 mm TA hanging on the wall!!! That’s coldblooded man! Anyway now I have neck pain from a size too small and the seat and post kept slipping. I’m trying to be pro bike shop but shops like these don’t help the case… No doubt the regular customers get treated better; but to be a giant dealer…help me out please!! Had to rush out of there to get the bike back by 5pm..Sucks!!!

What ever!

Cant wait to go back!

Thanks again Clay!!!!!!!!
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This is my regular shop of choice and I have to admit I am a little embarassed by your post. The guys at AJ's are usually great and do provide great service. I am bias though and it could be that they treat me differently since I bought mine and my fiancee's bikes there.

As for the trails at Boyette they are my favorite of the few trails I've been on. Being in FL the great flow is a nice change of pace from the typical root-filled sandlot systems. The SWAMP members that maintain the system do a great job and very rarely will you find an area that needs maintenance. They can not be thanked enough for the time and money invested in this.

mtbr member
    so had you remembered your TA, the ride would have rocked, right?!
    ride more. work less.
    2010 ibis mojo sl
    2010 motobecane fantom 29er SS
    2009 kilo tt fixed gear

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darty
    so had you remembered your TA, the ride would have rocked, right?!
    Did you read my post? The actual ride was a Blast - and I was indeed lucky to have a capable rental.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

TRANCER
    Sucks you went on such a mission to ride man. Atleast you got to ride and had a great time besides that mishap. Now I am gonna go buy an extra 15mm ta so I never have to go thru that. Id be pretty pissed ! Let me know when you guys decide to head back up there man. Maybe we can head up In a nice group?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Sucks you went on such a mission to ride man. Atleast you got to ride and had a great time besides that mishap. Now I am gonna go buy an extra 15mm ta so I never have to go thru that. Id be pretty pissed ! Let me know when you guys decide to head back up there man. Maybe we can head up In a nice group?

I think I need to just get off my ass and make a check list. We started going up once a month since march so..Next time should be a round Mid June.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

TRANCER
    Sounds awesome. I'm in.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Okay man, Ill keep you posted!
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I didnt buy my bike there but I have spent over $500.00 dollars there, but a few months back my daughter and I was buying something and one kid told me to put the item on the counter until I paid for it. The same guy who tried to stuff a trance x3 down my throat when that wasnt what I wanted. i WAS SO EFFIN PISSED... The guy knew that I was a repeat customer and he thought I was going to steal some grips? I swore I would never go there again but its too close to my house and they are very well equipped. And a few dudes there ARE pretty cool. But that particular dude is the reason I dont ride Giants even though thier great bikes.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by mmountainbiker
    I didnt buy my bike there but I have spent over $500.00 dollars there, but a few months back my daughter and I was buying something and one kid told me to put the item on the counter until I paid for it. The same guy who tried to stuff a trance x3 down my throat when that wasnt what I wanted. i WAS SO EFFIN PISSED... The guy knew that I was a repeat customer and he thought I was going to steal some grips? I swore I would never go there again but its too close to my house and they are very well equipped. And a few dudes there ARE pretty cool. But that particular dude is the reason I dont ride Giants even though thier great bikes.
    That's a dumb reason not to buy or ride a good bike that might of been the best bike for you. Just go to a Giant dealer where you are treated like a human being. I shop at a bike shop that's 20 miles from me. Why? Because they treat me the best. And I have found better prices in other places and there is a bike shop down the street from me. But I think they deserve my business.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah a specific dealer shouldn't stop you from riding a brand especially if you still provide them business- but I understand your gripe.

The thing is that shop is very well stocked.. I was actually surprised to see all the mountain biking goodies they have. I hate most lbs because they never have a lot of stuff I might want to impulse buy..you always have to order it..I can get most stuff quicker from Price point than I can from a local shop with the markup to boot. I do understand the importance of the lbs so I try to give them my business whenever it is feasible to do so - but that business still has to be earned.. The only bike shop that i have set foot into that was as well stoked as AJs was wheel world in California. Its a shame because i probably would have spent money with them on every visit to Tampa - but i never will.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

turtles make me hot
    That little shop across the street from the trailhead is pretty cool. Too bad they couldn't help you.

I was there Saturday for my first time as well... That trail rocks.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    OOps... Just realized I wasn't at Boyette on Saturday. I was in Ocala. Sorry. Boyette is cool though. I was there last winter.
    I like turtles

Trail Junkie
    I am still yet to rock Boyette and Alafaya...I am sure Tampa area is more forgiving than Oleta at 11am mid-summer! Its funny that a part they can order and have there by the middle of next week didn't sell vs. a bike that is going to sit on a rack for probably atleast 2 months! Interesting enough, the bike rental probably would have cost the same as a new TA paid for, and a lot less after mantanance.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES