mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mtn biking around Pigeon Forge, TN

Any trails in this area to be ridden? Thanx!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Found an older thread ... Haw Ridge. Sounds fun!

mtbr member
    I may have to check that place out next time I go up to Gatlinburg.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Haw Ridge will be way too muddy for another month or 2.
    Check out Norris.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Haw Ridge is also about an 1.5 hour drive from Gatlinburg, on the other side of Knoxville. There are a few other places to ride in Knoxville, but Haw Ridge has the most milage. You can check out IC King Park which is solid, but i'm not sure about current conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Haw Ridge, IC King Park, Hastie Park, Concord Park, Norris Dam, Georgia/Ross Marble Quarry, Windrock (if you're really feelin' gutsy)...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We're in the area for a mid-July vacation. Maybe Haw Ridge is dry then?
    Mapquested Tsali, and it looks to be about 70 miles south of where we're staying. Thinking of getting up early to drive there and check it out.

Not sure what gutsy means, but it'd be nice to find some flowey, XC trails. Not interested in big drops.
    Climbing is definately welcome!!

Wyld Paq
    Jan 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

Went to Haw Ridge yesterday... Eh its not too muddy. When there is mud, usually there is a line around it. Just keep an eye out for stuff that looks real shallow. I thought i was going through about a half inch of mud when i went in the mud, ended up being >6 inches. haha. Just my luck.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Panther Creek State Park. About 40 miles or less from Pigeon Forge. It's underrated and a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxson View Post
    We're in the area for a mid-July vacation. Maybe Haw Ridge is dry then?
    Mapquested Tsali, and it looks to be about 70 miles south of where we're staying. Thinking of getting up early to drive there and check it out.

Not sure what gutsy means, but it'd be nice to find some flowey, XC trails. Not interested in big drops.
    Climbing is definately welcome!!
    If you're not interested in big drops, and like a little technical, and like a little lake scenery then I'd hit either Norris Dam or Haw Ridge. Haw Ridge being the more technical of the two. Both great rides. Dress warm for the first leg... That wind coming off the lake cuts deep when the wind chill is in the teens... Yesterday anyway

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, Panther Creek sounds great too. Saw a few photos posted ... nice lake overlook.

Not so sure about panthers, tho. Not used to dealing with those guys in Ohio.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxson View Post
    Yes, Panther Creek sounds great too. Saw a few photos posted ... nice lake overlook.

Not so sure about panthers, tho. Not used to dealing with those guys in Ohio.
    Also, there are new trails that have been built recently that haven't been updated on the park's information. We built a new extension that overlaps with what use to be a hiking only trail. It around 20-30 miles of mountain biking by just riding the trails once. The new Lost Road Trail is quite amazing. A mile of nonstop climbing, and you should see the descend on the other side. We're also building another reroute onto a trail that also use to be hiking only. We been able to regain some old trails that were off-limit to mountain biking. Panther Creek compare to other places I have been flows a little different due to roller coaster like feel, but it is still plenty of fun and one of most underrated place in East Tennessee.

The panthers are all gone, the only wild cats left are not the feline type.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther Creek. View Post
    Also, there are new trails that have been built recently that haven't been updated on the park's information. We built a new extension that overlaps with what use to be a hiking only trail. It around 20-30 miles of mountain biking by just riding the trails once. The new Lost Road Trail is quite amazing. A mile of nonstop climbing, and you should see the descend on the other side. We're also building another reroute onto a trail that also use to be hiking only. We been able to regain some old trails that were off-limit to mountain biking. Panther Creek compare to other places I have been flows a little different due to roller coaster like feel, but it is still plenty of fun and one of most underrated place in East Tennessee.

Nice to hear about the trails at Panther Creek. You guys have been busy! I live in the Corryton area and am new the whole MTB scene so have been looking for local places to ride. Can't wait to check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bradktn View Post
    Nice to hear about the trails at Panther Creek. You guys have been busy! I live in the Corryton area and am new the whole MTB scene so have been looking for local places to ride. Can't wait to check it out.
    We also got land that is own by the state that the park ranger willing let us have access to build us a biking paradise. It is separate land from the main state park itself. We just haven't got enough recruits to go forward with the project. The parking lot is there, and we have scouted the area for layout, but haven't gone forward with actual trail building. We also been finishing up the Lost Road reroute and currently working on new reroute for the Ore Mine trail. I'm recovering from surgery right now, but currently the organization I'm involved with only been averaging 4 people or so per work session so it slow going to finish up the new reroute projects.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther Creek. View Post

20-30 miles of trail sounds like more than enough! You should try and post a ride video of Panther Creek sometime yet this spring?
    I'll have to look you up when we're down in the area, although I'll be doing my riding during the weekdays. I also plan on bringing my road bike as well!

Thanks for the postings!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't have a camera. If I'm still in the area in July I'm down for some riding! I graduate from college in May and I don't know where I'm going afterward yet. Where ever the job market take me I suppose.
    Last edited by Panther Creek.; 02-20-2012 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    X2 for panther creek great place to ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Can't wait to check it out!

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Looks like a cool place to ride overlooking the lake, sort of like Tsali.... I roll up to the Newport / Gatlinburg area often and glad to hear of more trails nearby.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I really enjoy Panther. Very good scenery and great trails. I try to go at least a couple times a week after work.