mtbr member
    Oct 2005

MTB Trails near Clearwater FL?

Looks like I wll be heading down to Clearwater FL for a few days. Any good MTB trails near there? Can they be ridden to from Clearwater? I'm looking at 4 to 6 hour rides so an hour or so of road to get to the trails is fine.

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Alafia and Balm Boyette
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

not that close

hey eskimo,
    it looks like your looking for trails within pedalling distance, which i don't think is available. if you can drive an hour or so there are some gems down here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm expecting a long road ride to get to the trails. Hopefully not much over 2 hours. All I ride on my MTB right now is road and paved trails so a little dirt will be great (I done't have a road bike, who needs one Looks like Morris Bridge are the closest trails.

Now I'm trying to figure out a safe route via bicycle from Clearwater to Morris Bridge Rd.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiHoEskimo
    Now I'm trying to figure out a safe route via bicycle from Clearwater to Morris Bridge Rd.
    Safe? Strap your bike into the bed of truck and sit on it while somebody drives you.

But seriously, it depends on where in Clearwater you're coming from. The only real way will involve some very busy roads with no bike lanes or shoulder. You'll want to ride on the sidewalk in those places.

Try this. From SR 580 and McMullen Booth Rd in NE Clearwater, go East on 580. Turn left on Forest Lake Blvd. (first light after big bridge) Forest Lake becomes Linebaugh when you cross Race Track Rd. Just keep going for a very long time- you will have a bike lane for most, if not all, of the way. After about 10-15 miles, you'll get to N. Dale Mabry Hwy. Turn left. Go to Fletcher Ave, turn right. Fletcher becomes Morris Bridge when you go under Interstate 75. (the second interstate you go under, the first is 275)

I engineered up a map. It says you're lookin at almost 30 miles.

Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member

Anyone?

Anyone at least live in this area? I'm stuck w/ only my bike and can't get anywhere. I don't have any other friends that have as much of a passion to ride ...sucks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    Safe? Strap your bike into the bed of truck and sit on it while somebody drives you.

But seriously, it depends on where in Clearwater you're coming from. The only real way will involve some very busy roads with no bike lanes or shoulder. You'll want to ride on the sidewalk in those places.

Try this. From SR 580 and McMullen Booth Rd in NE Clearwater, go East on 580. Turn left on Forest Lake Blvd. (first light after big bridge) Forest Lake becomes Linebaugh when you cross Race Track Rd. Just keep going for a very long time- you will have a bike lane for most, if not all, of the way. After about 10-15 miles, you'll get to N. Dale Mabry Hwy. Turn left. Go to Fletcher Ave, turn right. Fletcher becomes Morris Bridge when you go under Interstate 75. (the second interstate you go under, the first is 275)

I engineered up a map. It says you're lookin at almost 30 miles.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Good luck man. It is a very long way, you'll be looking at probably over 80 miles on the day. You also might want to make sure that you can pass under 75 and 275, many of the roads under 275 don't allow pedestrians to cross at all.

mtbr member
    If it were me I wouldn't risk the ride. The Bay area has some of the highest instances of pedestrian involved fatalities. Best bet would be to rent a cheap car and throw the bike in the back.

You could also look into public transportation. There is a bus that crosses the Bay in the morning and afternoon commutes. I know some of the ones in Tampa are equipped with bicycle carriers on the front...not sure if any of the ones that cross the bay have the same sort of carrier. Something worth looking into if you are serious about getting out to ride some trails.

You are fairly close to the Pinellas Trail (a long paved bike/jogging path that goes from Clearwater to Tarpon Springs). Not a MTB trail, but still fun and relatively safe.
    Signature

blet drive
    is there any riding in clearwater
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    none that i'm aware of. the trails mentioned above in this old thread are the only game in town but i'm new to the area so don't take my word for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i live half a mile from eagle lake park, it has some shell covered trails through the woods as well as some unmarked singletrack (really short but single track nonetheless) i can ride there for an hour or 2 without getting bored. I hear there is a place in st pete called boyd nature reserve and it seems to have a few miles of gravel trails. prolly closer than morris bridge. i stay in clearwater as well, would be nice to have a real trail system in pinellas county