OMR - Old Man Riding

Cool-blue Rhythm Moving to Marietta area from SoCal... oh no!

Looks like our family is moving to the Marietta area sometime in Feb or Mar. Gonna miss the weather and trails here in SoCal. I've ridden Blankets Creek and realize that it is a different type of riding there... a lot greener, more in the trees, more roots and leaves... but, looking forward to new dirt.

I'm an advanced rider riding a Tallboy and have ridden all over the west coast and even managed to race once in New Hampshire (mud, roots and wet leaves!!!)...The only other place I've heard of is Mulberry Gap. Recommendations for advanced trails are appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

OMR (Old Man Riding)
    Warriors Society
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737 View Post
    Looks like our family is moving to the Marietta area sometime in Feb or Mar. Gonna miss the weather and trails here in SoCal. I've ridden Blankets Creek and realize that it is a different type of riding there... a lot greener, more in the trees, more roots and leaves... but, looking forward to new dirt.

I'm an advanced rider riding a Tallboy and have ridden all over the west coast and even managed to race once in New Hampshire (mud, roots and wet leaves!!!)...The only other place I've heard of is Mulberry Gap. Recommendations for advanced trails are appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

OMR (Old Man Riding)
    Warriors Society
    The summers get hot but don't sweat it (pun intended), but we have had teperatures in the 60's all winter so far even low seventy's. You can ride year round and spring and fall riding is pretty amazing.

There are a ton of trails within 2 hours of Marietta so you are good there. Not far from Chattanooga for a day trip (Racoon Mountain) and the North Georgia mountains have some stellar trails.

I'm not familiar with the SoCal trails but in GA we have some pretty darn good ones. Blankets is a staple and they are currently expanding the parking lots (way to small) and adding restrooms, bikewash, new skills area, and there are talks of a pump track as well. While I agree the trails are different they are some of the best maintained trails I have ever been to.

Rope Mill Park is 2-3 miles away (also maintained by Woodstock Sorba) are similar but fun as well with plans to have 20+ miles of trail added in the near future.

Fire it up...
    Feb 2004
    buy into the Timeshare option at Mulberry gap. you can string together 20, 40, 60 mile rides all on dirt from their parking lot. I think that's the best option.

As far as advanced riding - check out the Pinhoti trail, esp Snake Creek Gap Section in Dalton. (there's a recent thread on this forum about it. check out nwga sorba for trail maps, elevation profiles, etc.)

Georgia Pinhoti Trail | International Mountain Bicycling Association

Speaking of IMBA epics, there are probably 6 or more epic trailheads within a 2 hr drive. Bull Mtn, Tanasi, Pinhoti, Oak Mtn, Tsali, Racoon Mtn. Dupont/Brevard

It's all in perspective on what you call advanced. I consider advanced to tango with Epic. I know some folks who think Blankets Creek is advanced Mtn. Biking (mainly because they see the ambulances going in and out of there).

That's the beauty of riding in ATL. If you live in suburbia, you can ride the suburban trails during the week, and then put on your big boy shorts and shred in the Blue Ridge Mtns. PM me for questions or anything else mtb related in GA.
    LIVE for Today, never tomorrow.

mtbr member
    within an hour at Atlanta, you have Conyers Horse Park, Tribble Mill, Harbins Park, Blankets Creek, Chicopee, Yellow River, Big Creek, Fort Yargo, etc. All these trails are listed on Singletracks. There are also a lot of smaller trail systems within the 285 (or just outside) loop but those are not "official" trails most of the time.

www.sorba.org has a lot of good info about the area as well.

Go make a difference
    Leaving ol' Brian Blair and the gang at Warriors behind eh?! Well, welcome to Dixie my friend! I've lived in Marietta for about 12 years and will gladly show you around if you like when you get here. In your backyard, you'll have a trail that most on here won't mention but I will since I build and maintain there (and pushed the NPS to open more trails which are on the near horizon) -- Sope Creek. Good weekday workout for riding and trail running, if you're into that.

Obviously, we have other stuff at points north of ATL but you'll discover that stuff soon enough. Hit me up anytime and I'll gladly ride with you.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey there, OMR...this is your son in-law. It's good to see the bikers here in GA taking care of you. I think once we know the date you will be out here we should organize a intro to the east coast ride and go to one of the better trail systems. Maybe a Tanasi or Mulberry Gap.

If anyone who has posted in this chat has any good ideas let me know. I want to make sure Dad gets a taste of the good stuff to soften the blow of moving out of SoCal.

OMR - Old Man Riding
    Hi Nick... Yeah, looks like very friendly riders in GA willing to show an old man around the trails. I was practicing getting ready for Georgia this weekend riding in the rain, mud and 45 degree temps ( a tad unusual for SoCal!) Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on the single speed. In process of selling off the PRS guitar and the Washburn mandolin to fund the new acquistion... now to break the news to Ranger Nancy....
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome!! Are you getting the one off of The Clymb? Good luck with ranger Nancy.

OMR - Old Man Riding
    Yep... Got one on order. Should be here mid Jan. Hope you get to ride your new sled sometime soon!
    Older than Dirt!!!

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by GetOffRoad View Post
    Hey there, OMR...this is your son in-law. It's good to see the bikers here in GA taking care of you. I think once we know the date you will be out here we should organize a intro to the east coast ride and go to one of the better trail systems. Maybe a Tanasi or Mulberry Gap.

If anyone who has posted in this chat has any good ideas let me know. I want to make sure Dad gets a taste of the good stuff to soften the blow of moving out of SoCal.
    I know a few good places to do trips and can even set it up for you. While I have set trip itineraries, I also do custom / private trips. Don't be mistaken though by the word 'custom' -- that does not mean costly -- it just means that you tell me what you're looking for and I help you line it up.

I'd love to ride and meet you so drop me a line and let's get together! BTW, I saw the reference to Ranger Nancy -- are you with NPS and transferring here to work at CRNRA? If so, I would REALLY love to chat -- it'll be nice for them to get some fresh faces in that office

My email is adventureguru at 33north dot org. BTW, there's a big race this weekend up in Dalton -- it's a TT that's more of a massive group ride against a clock. Tough trails too which makes it more fun!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

OMR - Old Man Riding
    Thanks Charles for the offer & will take you up on this. Nothing better than new dirt!

No, not affliated with the NPS although as a member of the Warrior Society we work closely with them in the Cleveland National Forest. I also volunteer for the County of Orange as a Trail Assistant volunteer in several of their parks and wilderness areas in SoCal. Ranger Nancy is my wife ... who keeps tabs on me but allows me to play in the mud on occasion.

Also done some occasional guiding in Moab and St George, UT... and for fun I'm one of the original organizers of the 50 Mile Ride for Rwanda: ABOUT THE RIDE | Fifty Mile Ride.

I should be out in your neck of the woods in March/April time frame.

Again, thanks for the offer...

Gregg
    Older than Dirt!!!