mtbr member

Moving to the Knoxville, TN area

Hi all, I'm moving to the Knoxville, TN area, and I'd like to get involved in the local sorba chapter. I'll be in West Knoxville, I'm assuming this is the one: AMBC Trails | Appalachian Mountain Bike Club

Their link to the forums is non-operational, though. And I know that Haws Ridge trail will be close to me, but it isn't on the list of trails.

Does anyone here have knowledge of the area and the local sorba chapter?
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    AMBC is the local SORBA/IMBA chapter.

Here is a list of trails around East Tennessee.

The knoxvillecycling.com forum is being revamped I believe and is currently only used for classified ads. If you want to connect with local riders everyone has moved to facebook. Search for "Knoxville Cycling" and join the group.

West Knoxville covers a pretty broad area, but I'm going to assume Farragut, so the closest trails will be at Concord park off of Northshore drive. Haw Ridge, IC King, and Ijams/Meads Quarry/Forks of the river (otherwise known as the "Dirty South") will be the other trail networks that are within a 15-20 minute drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I try to ride a few times a week, there are group rides on Tuesday at Ijams/meads quarry in south knox Wed night group rides at concord...I live closer to Ijams now(also referred to as the dirty south trail system) i used to live about 10min from haw ridge. Unfortunately i work alot but if you get a chance send me a message, i usually ride with a buddy if mine but our schedule is kinda out of sync now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Aw crap cant modify my post...anyway what i meant to say was if you wanna join us just send me a message...there are quite a few good local shops that are also very helpfu too, friends of haw ridge is also informative(website and FB page)

mtbr member
    I dont know what all type of riding you like to do or try, but there is some good local DH trails not to far from Haw Ridge (Windrock). Let me know i you are interested.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS2345 View Post
    I try to ride a few times a week, there are group rides on Tuesday at Ijams/meads quarry in south knox Wed night group rides at concord...I live closer to Ijams now(also referred to as the dirty south trail system) i used to live about 10min from haw ridge. Unfortunately i work alot but if you get a chance send me a message, i usually ride with a buddy if mine but our schedule is kinda out of sync now

Have the Wed. night rides at Concord started? I've ridden there once, and I thought it was pretty fun. But I'd definitely get lost trying to navigate by headlamp in the dark...
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    I dont know what all type of riding you like to do or try, but there is some good local DH trails not to far from Haw Ridge (Windrock). Let me know i you are interested.

-Brett
    Brett, I'm definitely interested! A couple trips to Whistler has me hooked! All of my protective gear is buried in storage, though. I have a MX full face, goggles and gloves, though, so all I'd need to get are knee & elbow protection.

Let me know if you'd like to take turns shuttling. I can transport a total of 4 bikes/riders.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Whistler is a ton of fun. Windrock is a lot of older school, steep, rocky, technical, and loads of fun.

I do not have a truck I can shuttle with, but I have a group of guys I ride with all the time from NC. I am riding with them on Saturday in NC then I believe we are going to Windrock on Sunday as well.

Are you already in Knoxville?

-Brett

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How much harsher is Windrock than haw ridge, only been once and that was in a 4x4

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They are still doing Tuesday and Wednesday night rides but youll need lights. Not sure how many more there will be though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS2345 View Post
    How much harsher is Windrock than haw ridge, only been once and that was in a 4x4

WR is a place where if you go more than once or twice your gonna want a bike with at least 6 inches of travel. 7-8 is best for you and your bike. If you want an idea of what some of it looks like, then you can check out my Youtube channel here.

We are always looking to get new people to WR.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well i guess ill stick to haw ridge for now, a hard tail with less than 80mm travel doesn't sound fun for WR. My only FS is a mongoose blackcomb that was free...couldn't pass it up, plan on parting it out onto my sisters bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    Sweet! Whistler is a ton of fun. Windrock is a lot of older school, steep, rocky, technical, and loads of fun.

I do not have a truck I can shuttle with, but I have a group of guys I ride with all the time from NC. I am riding with them on Saturday in NC then I believe we are going to Windrock on Sunday as well.

Are you already in Knoxville?

-Brett
    Yeah, I've checked out some YouTube videos. I dig that stuff too.

I have already relocated to Knoxville, but I don't think I'll be up for Windrock this weekend. I really need to pick up some elbow and knee protection first.

And no worries about shuttling- I'll be happy to shuttle all afternoon in exchange for having someone show me the trail (and call the paramedics for me!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Yeah, I've checked out some YouTube videos. I dig that stuff too.

I have already relocated to Knoxville, but I don't think I'll be up for Windrock this weekend. I really need to pick up some elbow and knee protection first.

And no worries about shuttling- I'll be happy to shuttle all afternoon in exchange for having someone show me the trail (and call the paramedics for me!)
    Haha, sounds like a win to me. I will let you know the next time we head over there and we can go from there. Showing you the trails? No, we will let you be free! Nah, we will show you all the gaps, drops, etc that way yo know where they are until you got used to the trails. New people are coming more and more to WR!

-Brett

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll already be up there all weekend working on the trails. But I plan to try and ride some on sunday if I can get my fork working right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hopefully you have been to a few AMBC social events already. The Christmas party was this past Monday and the fall festival was last month. Just check out the website or FB group.