Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Mount Dora Trail official thread.

We are close to getting this trail officially legalized so thought I'd start it's own thread. We have started construction on it and are just waiting on the attorneys to come to an agreement before we have an official work day to really get it completed. It shouldn't be long from now though.

Here's a quick sample of the trail done with a crappy digital camera. Hit a huge spider web where I stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

ChiliPepper1
    Cool video, but my head is still bobbing after watching the video.....LOL! Looks like its going to be a real sweet trail once groomed. Whats the word on any real technical challenge? You know, like jumps, drops to huck, skinnies, rollers, or even rock gardens...etc.?

Would be nice to have this trail, though it could never replace Santos, Alafia, nor Carter, but a heck of a lot closer. Great job guys and gals getting this trail pushed through. Seriously!

Curb Jumper
    Wow, things have come a long way in the past month or so. Between getting my bike stolen and traveling back and forth to S.FL for family business I haven't had much time to check up on things. My birthday is on Sunday and I'm thinking about getting myself a new bike. I'm thinking a Jamis Komodo won't be too plush for FL riding, but have some meat on it's bones to soak up some drops. Or do you guys think that a Jamis Dakar XC would have enough of a backbone for some hard riding? I'd love to get a FS bike but they're much more expensive than a hardtail so I don't want to spend more money on a bike that I don't need...

Curb Jumper
    I drove over the the Icehouse Theatre the other day and I couldn't see where the trailhead would be. I drove over to the dog park area too and saw what looked to be an entrance to a trail. Can anyone explain where the trailhead will be?

Curb Jumper
    *double-post*

Curb Jumper
    Anyone out there?

TRANCER
    Congrats man. Wish things went as smoothly here where I am. The political bs down here in South Florida is not so simple. There are some trails that have been approved already and little legal shits still holding it from being built.
    Ride

not so super...
    Mt Dora = the Mt Dora near Eustis / Tavares?
    Nothing to see here.

Curb Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Mt Dora = the Mt Dora near Eustis / Tavares?

The one and only! I really wish Mt. Dora Cycles would reply to this thread. I was looking for the trailhead the other day and I can't seem to find it. My new bike comes in on Saturday and I'm itching to get back in the saddle...

robe2
    Oct 2008

Trail not yet open!!!

Please, this trail is not yet "legal", nor is construction complete.
    Again, the trail is not open!
    The Ocala Mountain Bike Association is close to finalizing the legal agreement with the City of Mount Dora on this new trail. Until that has happened and we have official work days for construction, please do not ride this trail. Do not screw it up before we get it off the ground!

Keep your eyes on the forum and homepage of www.omba.org for more information on this trail.

The entrance will temporarily be near the dog park until construction of the new park and parking lot w/facilities is complete on 9th Avenue. Following park construction, the trails will be accessed from this location.

Thanks,
    Rob Ern, VP
    OMBA
    Rob
    ...._o
    ..O>'O....

Curb Jumper
    Hey Rob, sorry if that came out a little off. I wasn't looking to ride the trail, nor will I be when my bike arrives. I was just in the neighborhood and was trying to find where the trailhead would be. I'm itching to get out there and start cutting though! Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Like Rob said, please don't go out there riding it yet. The video was just a preview to show what to expect. It isn't completed yet anyways so you won't enjoy it. Please have some patience, nobody expected Mount Dora's attorneys to be this difficult to deal with. Let me tell you though, it will be worth the wait. It's turning out to be a short loop, but very difficult endurance wise. I can't wait till it's open.
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

Curb Jumper
    Aww... endurance? Will there be room to expand? Don't worry, I won't be riding out there until it's open.

oh, where did you move your shop to? My new bike just came in and I need some stuff.

robe2
    Oct 2008

City Council Meeting, Tuesday night

The Mount Dora City Council will be meeting this tuesday night at 7 pm to consider the agreement between the City and OMBA allowing us to construct and maintain these new trails. Show up if you are able, or email the council members with your words of support. Keep is short and respectful.

We're very close!!
    Thanks
    Rob
    Rob
    ...._o
    ..O>'O....

Curb Jumper
    Awesome, I'll try my best to make it out to the meeting.

Nobody knows where Mount Dora Cycles moved the shop? I guess I'll be taking my business elsewhere

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [dB]Will
    Awesome, I'll try my best to make it out to the meeting.

Nobody knows where Mount Dora Cycles moved the shop? I guess I'll be taking my business elsewhere
    Contact Rich (Mt Dora Cycles). He has not reopened his shop yet. He's working on getting it. He's a great mechanic and can still order parts/items you need. I'm sure he will get on here and respond. Give him time.

Curb Jumper
    Sorry I couldn't make it out Tuesday. Prior plans along with the Hell that was this past week prevented me from attending. Any good news? Any update on when we can start cutting/riding?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    What's the elevation out there? is there another FL Trail you could compare it to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker
    What's the elevation out there? is there another FL Trail you could compare it to?
    Not quite sure what the elevation is exactly. I know that the trail is roughly a mile long and has around 200ft of elevation change. I cannot think of any of the trails around Central FL that are similar. It's in a hole and is HOT and HUMID!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASpot13
    Not quite sure what the elevation is exactly. I know that the trail is roughly a mile long and has around 200ft of elevation change. I cannot think of any of the trails around Central FL that are similar. It's in a hole and is HOT and HUMID!!!!

wait, so it is hot and humid and there are no other trails in central florida that are similar?
    Deltona (between daytona and orlando)
    2006 trek liquid with beefy freeride components for my fat arse

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbatson
    wait, so it is hot and humid and there are no other trails in central florida that are similar?
    It's worse than any other trail I've ridden in central florida. Santos/Carter/Reddick/etc...don't compare. It's incredibly thick vegetation in a pit. The heat and humidity just sit and there is no breeze. However, it's a great workout and excellent training loop with the amount of elevation. BTW, conditions are a little dusty back there right now, it could use a good rain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Id say Soldiers Creek is in a whole with thick vegetation.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry I haven't checked this lately. The agreement was accepted and the trail is official now. We are working on setting up a group work day to clean whats been cut so far and look into new section to blaze. As posted, it does have a lot of elevation change, it is short for right now, and it does get hot and humid back there. Think rain forest here. The misquotes are so big they can knock the wind out of you on downhill sections. I swear one smiled at me before taking half my blood while doing work back there.

As far as my shop, I still haven't re-opened. Wished I could but the economy sucks and most locals in this area are hurting pretty bad. Not to mention the landlords of Mt Dora have the city by the balls and can charge crazy amounts for old run down buildings. I do love this city though. I'll be back open soon.

Curb Jumper
    Glad to hear you'll be back at some point! I have Friday off and can help out but I'll be out of town the rest of the weekend. I have a lot of free time on my hands usually so I'm willing to go out there and work by my lonesome during the week as well. I'm just itching to ride!

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225
    Id say Soldiers Creek is in a whole with thick vegetation.
    Where do you get that from, Soldiers Creek is not even in a whole (what you said and whatever that means) nor a hole. Not sure what you mean by thick with vegetation either???? It is a typical FL trail as most trails in the SE are!

Maybe you are smoking some vegetation, hey?

Soldiers Creek is not long, but it has always been fun for such a short trail.

Anyways, getting over vegetation head above. Great to hear that the trail is official now. That makes the first one, now they need to officially get the Orlando MTB trail on the books as well. Now, any one that does not like vegetation, go west! WAY WEST!!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast