Thread: Montgomery Bell

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Montgomery Bell

Looks like I'll get a chance to go explore Montgomery Bell early Friday. Couple of questions:

Any locals up for showing a Chattanooga fellow around?

Can anyone suggest a good loop? I have a map, but don't know the preferred directions / routes to take. I'd like to ride for at least an hour, probably won't have more than two hours. No big drops or free-ride stuff, more interested in flowing and / or techy XC type stuff.

Finally, should I bring my hard tail 29er or do I want my Yeti 575 on those trails?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You might want to post on http://www.nationalmountainbike.com. That's where most of the middle TN post at.

There isn't any free-ride stuff, unless it's been added in the last year.
    I would take the 29er.

I' don't know where to get a map. They have packed a lot of interconnecting trails into a small area, so getting turned around is easy. It's sort of hard to get really lost though since you are never very far from one of the paved roads the surround the area.

Tim S.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, I'll check that other site. I do have a good map, just not sure what routes are best - looks like there's a lot of trail packed in there.

So, is this rain going to make the idea of a morning ride not so appealing? How do the trails there drain, are the okay the morning after a few scattered (but heavy) storms?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    monty bell soaks up water like a sponge youll be perectly fine. What time you planning on riding? I may be able to swing down there and go for a ride been wating to for a while but I dont get off work till 7 am and its about an hour drive for me. I havent had a chance to hit the yellow loop yet cause of the fire they had recently but rode every bit of red white and the green "downhill" section and i only have a gary fisher wahoo and was just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I should be there around 7:45. Post back or PM me though, I'll check email from my phone. I can wait to roll out at 8:00, just need to be done around 9:30 or so to make it to a meeting.

mtbr member
    So how was it? I've never been there, but from the looks of the map, it's on the to do list. I'd be interested in our thoughts or anyone elses for that matter. Thanks in advance.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    So how was it? I've never been there, but from the looks of the map, it's on the to do list. I'd be interested in our thoughts or anyone elses for that matter. Thanks in advance.
    Enjoyed it a lot. Very different than what I'm used to (Raccoon Mountain, Oak Mountain, etc.). We rode the "yellow" trail. Extremely tight trail, lots of tight switchbacks and roller coaster like terrain. I'd have taken my Yeti 575 rather than my hard tail 29er if I had it to do over again. Much slower ride than what I usually do, but quite challenging for me as the terrain is so drastically different.

One thing - I wouldn't be inclined to ride it alone, even after being there once. Far too easy to get lost and / or not get the best ride in without an expert local guide (like Homer on the TN Mtn Bike Forum). Big thanks to him for taking the time to show me around.