mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Markham Tire Setup

Hey there. Not sure if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find any threads.

What is the best tire setup for Markham Park?

I currently have the original Bontrager tires that came with my 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8, not sure the tire model. I've read online they are not the greatest set.

Thanks

TRANCER
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 front and back. Stickee up front and dst in the rear I have great traction and descent speed with that combo. If you want more speed try The Kenda Nevegal front small block 8 rear combo. Alot of people i know like that combo alot. Especially for racing
    Ride

mtbr member
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up front and a 2.1 in the back....tubeless.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

Trail Junkie
    Nevagals are good tires, but they weren't really designed for the terrain here. They work, but they are very heavy especially UST. They range from 8.10g (2.10) to 1050g (2.35). One tire weighs as much as a road frame. I am not trying to sound like a weight weenie, but it is a bit rediculous. They work decent for a front tire since they are good for loose over hard. They are very durable (remember the weight) but they do not offer a very good tread pattern for a rear (thought the site says they can be). For the rear tire, you need as much contact patch as possible (think of the expert sections like Crime Scene, with a steep switchback). The ramped up nobbies keep portions of the tire from making contact with the ground, because of this, they also have a higher rolling resistance, which means it requires more energy to keep them moving.

To touch on the Small Block Eights, They are a great, fast, light tire, but not very durable, and they are one of the fastest wearing tires on the market. If you don't mind spending money on tires that may only last 1 season, or not even a year, they are great. They work best for a rear.

Kenda Website with the Specs.
    http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicy...n/nevegal.aspx

I have ran a few combinations that have worked well for me. I have only used a few brands over the last 12 yrs because I have not had bad luck, but I also consider the terrain when I purchase tires. All of my tires are tubeless, it is one of the best investments you can make to your bike IMO. Who wants to change a tube or do a repair in 95degree high humidity weather?

My current setup: Stan's The Raven 2.2 (510g ea.) F/R. They aren't the best for loose over hard, but Markham doesn't really have a whole bunch of that compared to Oleta. These are a more racey tire with very low rolling resistance. They really don't look that beefy, but it is more the compound that makes them hook up well, and they are very light for a UST...probably the lightest.

I have used Continentals and Maxxis tires for the last 12yrs.

My overall favorite for burly do it all tire setup is a Maxxis Ignitor front, Maxxis Crossmark rear. The Ignitor has good ramping nobbies on the sides and through the middle to keep that front wheel where it needs to be. The Crossmark offers low rolling resistance with enough corner nobbies to keep the rear from sliding out, and more than enough contact patch for climbing and acceleration. The Larson TT is a good second option for a rear.

Continental makes premo tires aswell and the Race King works well for a rear tire, and hook up really well when its wet, very fast tire. The Twister Pro or Trail king works well for the front. For a very fast XC setup a Crossmark Front, and Race King rear is pretty fast and smooth, but a little sketchy at Oleta with all the loose over hard. Works great at Markham though.

I know this was a little bit long winded, but I didn't want to just blindly state what I use, but also provide reasons why I use it, my experience with it, and what to consider when purchasing tires.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    !!!

mtbr member
    If you ride only Markham, then yeah a good semi tire, like the SB 8 is really good on the back or some of the Spesh tires or TT Larsens have really low rolling resistance too. I've not ridden the Crossmarks but the racerboys rave on them. Loose over firm like Oleta and QW need a bit more grip....more in the front than back but both ends need more bite everywhere else besides Markham (especially wet Oleta).
    Santa Cruz Bicycles ARE amazing machines, own one and say weeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb777
    Santa Cruz Bicycles ARE amazing machines, own one and say weeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I got a laugh out of that...you kind of snuck it in there
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by dasaltek
    Hey there. Not sure if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find any threads.

What is the best tire setup for Markham Park?

I currently have the original Bontrager tires that came with my 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8, not sure the tire model. I've read online they are not the greatest set.

Thanks
    My EX7 came with Bontrager Jones whatever and they skidded all over. Some of the riders at Markham advised me to get the Nevegal's and I am very happy with their advice. As soon as I had the Nevegal's, I stopped sliding around, my times improved and best of all I started falling a lot less due to the better grip. I only ride Markham for now so it seems Nevegals work for me there very well. YMMV..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT