Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Markham Park. Route 66!?!?!

When is this going to open back up? Is it because of all the rain we are getting ?
    Cannondale F5 '10

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes muddy area that drains poorly

Be patient grasshopper it's the season...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Haha nice, I dont know if Ill be here much longer though.
    Cannondale F5 '10

mtbr member
    very soon. such a fun trail.
    ride more. work less.
    2010 ibis mojo sl
    2010 motobecane fantom 29er SS
    2009 kilo tt fixed gear

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great. This rain is really a pain.
    Cannondale F5 '10

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey fellows. Yeah I went riding this past Thursday and it was STILL closed. Its been over a month already right?

mtbr member
    it's just the way the cookie crumbles. it's the lowest part of markham and floods way too easily.

have you ever attended trail maintenance there? they haul tons of rock into the trail and it still floods. no fun.
    ride more. work less.
    2010 ibis mojo sl
    2010 motobecane fantom 29er SS
    2009 kilo tt fixed gear

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Naaaa I've never really attended the maintenance days, I've been thinking of giving back and going out there one of these days to help out. Oh well, hopefully it will get open if we STOP getting so much rain :P The rest of the park is still good so, I haven't even try Amelia, that must be a pond.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dasaltek
    Naaaa I've never really attended the maintenance days, I've been thinking of giving back and going out there one of these days to help out. Oh well, hopefully it will get open if we STOP getting so much rain :P The rest of the park is still good so, I haven't even try Amelia, that must be a pond.
    last week and today,Amelia was mostly dry.2 or 3 mud spots but once you get past the Camelback's its dry.

Trail Junkie
    I tend to ride early in the morning, and cannot tollerate those ants..they are getting pretty bad. I haven't tried riding in the evenings or afternoons, but I know I am miserable in the morning when there is still dew on the ground. I have been sticking to Markham and Oleta lately.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The ants stick to you early in the am when it's wet. I wear long cycling pants and long jersey..never get bit that way!
    Ant extermination officially starts Friday, Sept 10th- we're spreading hundreds of pounds of Amdro (the only thing that kills them) I hope it works!! We'll all soon know!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    The ants stick to you early in the am when it's wet. I wear long cycling pants and long jersey..never get bit that way!
    Ant extermination officially starts Friday, Sept 10th- we're spreading hundreds of pounds of Amdro (the only thing that kills them) I hope it works!! We'll all soon know!

So are the ants gone??
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    That is all fine and dandy, but I am not from Florida, and it is a rediculous idea to be clothed from head to toe in the South Florida in the middle of summer, and pedal my butt off down a hot and muggy trail. I am originally from Upper Michigan, and just tolerating the summers down here alone is hard enough.

I don't want to be a negative nancy about it, even though I don't make it to maintenance days, I do pick trash up on the trail when I see it, but for the time being I am riding Markham/Oleta a lot more, but looking forward to riding Amelia this winter to work on sprint/cardio rides since it is the closest park to my home.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was able to spread Amdro over all trails west of the road that goes thru the center of the trails. I rode 2 laps today with shorts and short sleeves, I got 1 ant at the end. The Story I'm getting from everyone else is that they didn't get any bites today....
    I still know that the trails east of the road need Amdro broadcast...it's just a hell of a lot of walking with that spreader!! I did 4 miles already. I'll probably get the rest done this week...

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZDR420
    When is this going to open back up? Is it because of all the rain we are getting ?

Still closed as of this AM....
    I don't forsee it opening for a bit, as we obviously had a lot of rain. However all the other trails are in great shape as I rode all of them this AM...

Trail Junkie
    Thanks for the update, I was wondering if I should have rode this morning, guess I should have listened to my instincts. I will be there tomorrow morning for sure!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That's really good to hear, I'm heading over there this weekend so it should be good. I might help out this Sunday during the maintenance, if they are get together that is.
    Damian

Good job!

Whatever maintanance was done this weekend has been outstanding!!! My hat's off to the volunteers. There is still some 'construction' on Big Gulp I guess. The entrance to Warm-Up loop has been fixed really well and some of the bigger mud puddles have been filled in all over the place!!. Entrance to Black Snake is now very fast too...

mtbr member
    I was at Markham today. I had a flat and walked 66 as a shortcut to get back to the trailhead. The bridge at Ozz was a massive pool. It will be a long time before we can ride that again.

I was surprised to see a lot of tough spots that were smoothed out in several spots. Challenging hills, etc.

Trail Junkie
    Yah, the trails have progressively gotten easier over the years, and the same can be said for Oleta as well...to the point where Black Diamond and Double Black Diamond may not longer be the right rating for the trails. Don't take this as a rant, or complaint as I work when trail maintenance is conducted and can't participate so there is not much I can say, and on a positive note, it will be safer for the newer riders, and attract more people rather than scaring them.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

Easier or not, they are still a lot of fun to ride and RTe 66 is now open too!!

Trail Junkie
    I will most likely see you out there Oscar, seems like I always do! Trails were great on Tuesday! Going tomorrow morning..should be great!

Also props to the guys for building that new connecting section on the tail of Deep Forest! Its a little rough now, but it will be broken in before too long! It nicely connects some what was otherwise a lost section of trail!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

... and if we just ...

Yep Kudo's for sure! Deep Dark Forrest is more interesting this way. It is still a bit fresh and does need some rain to settle the dirt a bit. I also noticed that the big rock at Big Gulp has been 'remodeled'/ read flattened... . I guess the powers that be, want to make the trails safer as to encourage more riders to come out and ride.
    See you in the park!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What they did to DDF is a travesty. They ruined a great blue trail. There is no reason why they had to combine them. On a side note the new iteration of the FHL is a lot of fun.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarino
    What they did to DDF is a travesty. They ruined a great blue trail. There is no reason why they had to combine them. On a side note the new iteration of the FHL is a lot of fun.
    DDF was very nice but a bit boring after a while of riding the old route....(flame suit on ) I agree it is a bit tougher now, but there are 2 escapes if you don't want to ride the entire route that connects to rock garden that is under construction??
    FHL is really nice too and more interesting to practise taking curves a bit faster. It is cool that Armadillo has the connection to FHL and FHL leads back into Armadillo....
    Just my 2 pennies....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast