Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Hopefully we won't need kayak's to get around the trail system...
    For sure Rte 66 will be a flood zone.
    I'm sure there will be lots of trail maintenance to do as well this coming Sunday.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by reedfe View Post
    I'm sure there will be lots of trail maintenance to do as well this coming Sunday.
    Yes I am sure we will have our hands full with cleaning up, not to mention what the pooh-bah's may have had planned for repair...I can only hope that there will be a bigger crew coming out this time around...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Yes I am sure we will have our hands full with cleaning up, not to mention what the pooh-bah's may have had planned for repair...I can only hope that there will be a bigger crew coming out this time around...
    Well I'm hoping I will have the car this weekend. Then you can add 2 maybe 3 to that equation.

... and if we just ...

Well I'm hoping I will have the car this weekend. Then you can add 2 maybe 3 to that equation.
    That would be greatly appreciated!!

I tried to ride Markham this AM and the situation is as follows.
    There is a lot of debris on all the trails and some are blocked or impassable because of that and the flooding that has occurred. There is 14 inches of water between Puma trail and Gunrange, 6-8 inches in Rockgarden and the approach to Crimescene also. I have never seen this much water in Markham ever. Rte 66 has enough water to float the QE II in..
    The good news is that the trails themselves faired very well with minimal damage. When the debris is cleared and the water has receded all should be well soon. This weekend is trail-build day and now is definitely the time to come out and help to clear the trails as it would take way to long with the usual small crew....

Hop Head
    I tried to ride Markham this AM and the situation is as follows.
    There is a lot of debris on all the trails and some are blocked or impassable because of that and the flooding that has occurred. There is 14 inches of water between Puma trail and Gunrange, 6-8 inches in Rockgarden and the approach to Crimescene also. I have never seen this much water in Markham ever. Rte 66 has enough water to float the QE II in..
    The good news is that the trails themselves faired very well with minimal damage. When the debris is cleared and the water has receded all should be well soon. This weekend is trail-build day and now is definitely the time to come out and help to clear the trails as it would take way to long with the usual small crew....
    I actually rode very early Saturday am before the rain started. I had to clear a small fallen tree from obstructing a trail in washing machine. The trails were very soggy then, i can't imagine what they are like now, I'm assuming pretty UN-rideable. I'll do my best to make it out this weekend to help out..
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

Hope Markham is CLOSED!!

Markham is CLOSED till further notice!!!!

This coming Thursday from 2 PM till dark, there will be an effort to clean up the debris from the trails and determine which trails are rideable and which ones will need more work. Among the damage is that a huge boulder came down on Crimescene and it is blocked with trees too.
    Go on Facebook Markham Park Mountain Bikers group for more info.
    I am sure that the trail-build days will be very interesting as we may have to keep some trails closed depending on what closer inspection will reveal.
    If you can come out Thursday 2 PM or Saturday & Sunday 8:30 AM any and all help will be appreciated. This is your park!!
    Last edited by OscarW; 08-28-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Hop Head
    Markham is CLOSED till further notice!!!!

This coming Thursday from 2 PM till dark, there will be an effort to clean up the debris from the trails and determine which trails are rideable and which ones will need more work. Among the damage is that a huge boulder came down on Crimescene and it is blocked with trees too.
    Go on Facebook Markham Park Mountain Bikers group for more info.
    I am sure that the trail-build day will be very interesting as we may have to keep some trails closed depending on what closer inspection will reveal.
    If you can come out Thursday or Sunday any and all help will be appreciated. This is your park!!
    What time will you be there Thursday?
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by toofdoc View Post
    What time will you be there Thursday?
    I will be there at 2 PM. I think we will have a small core group of peeps, but you are very welcome to join in!!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Trail build days @ markham park

This week the trails will be closed for riding!

Work will start on Thursday@ 2PM and on Saturday and Sunday @ 8:30 AM due to the huge amount of work needed to reopen the trail-system.
    Markham can only open when all trails are cleared and repaired. Please come out and help to open up your trails.

Good job! Markham will be OPEN

Markham will open in time for the holiday weekend. We did a ton of work this afternoon and even though Gunrange remains closed the rest will open up. There will be some trail closures. Here's a list;

Crimescene is CLOSED. The boulder on the climb will be used to build a new feature and to help reinforce the fragile hillside. That will happen this weekend if all goes well.

Outback extension is still CLOSED as there is too much damage. We intentionally left the downed trees in place so STAY OUT!

We cleaned of the debris of Pipeline which will be CLOSED due to the slippery conditions as most of the roof shingles are gone. It will be re-decked with new roofing material this weekend.

There will be TWO days of trail work going on this Saturday and Sunday, so please keep in mind there are people at work with either sharp tools or other implements.

If a trail is marked closed PLEASE STAY OUT you will be in the way unless you want to lend a hand which would be great!!

I will ride tomorrow AM and update the latest conditions.

Markham will open on Saturday!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OscarW; 08-31-2012 at 02:56 PM.

No trail work on Saturday!

There will be no trail work today! Tomorrow at 8:30 there will be regularly scheduled trail work.

... and if we just ...

Trails are open and fast!! Pipeline got re-shingled and some trees got removed there. It is now open and airy there. Outback had been filled in for the most part so there won't be any more puddles on the trails there , I hope .
    Enjoy the weekend!

Hop Head
    Since the park closure, been riding the levees. Early this morning on the south leg of the levee loop a bobcat ran out in front of me. I have seen deer, armadillo, snakes, but a bobcat is a first in all my years. Very cool. Just wanted to share.
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

Great!! That is a rare sighting since they are pretty shy! Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofdoc View Post
    Since the park closure, been riding the levees. Early this morning on the south leg of the levee loop a bobcat ran out in front of me. I have seen deer, armadillo, snakes, but a bobcat is a first in all my years. Very cool. Just wanted to share.
    I happened to see a bobcat myself at Markham a few weeks ago. None of my buddies believed me so I'll have to show them this thread! The little fella was right in the middle of the trail, next to the DNA bridge.

Hop Head
    Quote Originally Posted by PannikAttk View Post
    I happened to see a bobcat myself at Markham a few weeks ago. None of my buddies believed me so I'll have to show them this thread! The little fella was right in the middle of the trail, next to the DNA bridge.
    Very cool. Doubt it was the same one since the one i saw was on the levee. The one i saw was about 2.5 times larger than domestic cat. I wouldn't doubt they are hanging out in the park too with the amount of rodents in there, plenty to eat.
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    Markham appears to be hosting the firs race for the 2012-2013 Coconut Cup race series starting in late October...

I'm a novice rider for sure; I don't even know the course paths for any of the trails used for this series. My girlfriend is also a novice, but we are not sure if that "novice" category is for men and women, or just men. The previous results really only show men's names in the results, i'm not sure if novice women are not there by design or choice. Do novice women riders ride in the novice group or the women's base group? She really doesn't want to start off the race against guys, but I guess that's better than being blasted in the base group...

... and if we just ...

I don't know how the situation will be for the race in as far as the classes of riders is concerned, but I am sure there will be some separation. What I do know is that the race course will be parts of the current trails with some of those trails reversed as well. I don't race myself but have set up the courses in the past and from what I understand, everybody liked the 'Rumble in the Jungle' track so that may be used again. Just keep an eye on the Markham Park FB pages and the Coconut cup site.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Any update on which trails are open? Trying to decide if to head back to Markham or try out Amelia (if all is dry) this coming weekend.

... and if we just ...

Any update on which trails are open? Trying to decide if to head back to Markham or try out Amelia (if all is dry) this coming weekend.
    All trails are open and actually have been except for Outback Extension (the one with the stupid wooden wall and dangerous drop). OB ext. is going to get a major overhaul next trail-build day in October. It will take 3 days and 4-5 dump truck loads of fill.... The wood wall will be replaced with a clamshell design with a better radius making it a better ride.
    Pipeline has been resurfaced last Sunday so it is safe again even if it were to rain.
    Enjoy!

Bring bug spray!! The skeeters are bad!!

TJK
    MTB Noob Adrenaline Lover
    Sep 2012
    Bring bug spray!! The skeeters are bad!!
    I can only imagine! The water around my house has brought tons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Forgot bugspray last weekend, my room mate quit halfway through and went back to the car the bugs were so bad. I didn't make it up a few climbs that I usually do because you couldn't slow down at all between trails to take a breather or the bugs would eat you alive. I need to get in better shape.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast