Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    X/C trail rider
    Novice is the Beginner category. Then Base (also known as Intermediate) is the next one up, Then Sport is one notch below expert, then Expert. In reference to the Rumble in the Jungle, its the same course, since its a endurance race.

In other types of races like the typical cross country race, Novice would be the shortest distance and easiest competition, with the categories increasing in difficulty and length through Expert.

In sanctioned races you would get promoted to the next level by winning or placing in the top 5 for a certain number of races.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the explanation!
    This will be my first race, so I registered the team as novice. Bit didnt want to do a shorter easier race...

Quote Originally Posted by MHodges View Post
    Novice is the Beginner category. Then Base (also known as Intermediate) is the next one up, Then Sport is one notch below expert, then Expert. In reference to the Rumble in the Jungle, its the same course, since its a endurance race.

In other types of races like the typical cross country race, Novice would be the shortest distance and easiest competition, with the categories increasing in difficulty and length through Expert.

In sanctioned races you would get promoted to the next level by winning or placing in the top 5 for a certain number of races.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    So is there going to be trail maintenance this Sunday? I was planning to come with a friend but I'm just wondering because of the race.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by reedfe View Post
    So is there going to be trail maintenance this Sunday? I was planning to come with a friend but I'm just wondering because of the race.
    No there will not be any trail work done. I just got back from setting up the race course and most of that is clear to ride. The next repair day will be in Sept.
    My friends and I have been trimming stuff on the side and that has been about it.
    There will be a TON of work in Sept though so please stay tuned....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    No there will not be any trail work done. I just got back from setting up the race course and most of that is clear to ride. The next repair day will be in Sept.
    My friends and I have been trimming stuff on the side and that has been about it.
    There will be a TON of work in Sept though so please stay tuned....
    Alright. Guess I'm going to need to find some other volunteer work then. You can count me in for September though. Maybe I'll get my friend to do the race with. If we race as a team do we race at the same time or does the first person do 25 miles then the next person do 25 miles after the first racer returns? If this is my first race should I register as novice? And what does "package pickup" mean?
    Last edited by reedfe; 08-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Alright. Guess I'm going to need to find some other volunteer work then. You can count me in for September though. Maybe I'll get my friend to do the race with. If we race as a team do we race at the same time or does the first person do 25 miles then the next person do 25 miles after the first racer returns? If this is my first race should I register as novice? And what does "package pickup" mean?
    Hope to see you in September too!

If you decide to race as a team of two, I'd ride two laps, than your buddy rides two laps and so on. It is better to switch it up a bit and get some rest while your buddy rides. You can pick up your race package at Markham Park tomorrow between 10 AM and 2 PM and register there as well if you didn't on-line. It will contain some swag and your race # to be put on your bike / jersey.
    I'd register as a novice since it is you first race. You will still do the same race route however. Even if you don't finish the whole thing it is a good way to get your feet wet and have a great time with all the other folks out there!!
    Hope it helped.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Hope to see you in September too!

If you decide to race as a team of two, I'd ride two laps, than your buddy rides two laps and so on. It is better to switch it up a bit and get some rest while your buddy rides. You can pick up your race package at Markham Park tomorrow between 10 AM and 2 PM and register there as well if you didn't on-line. It will contain some swag and your race # to be put on your bike / jersey.
    I'd register as a novice since it is you first race. You will still do the same race route however. Even if you don't finish the whole thing it is a good way to get your feet wet and have a great time with all the other folks out there!!
    Hope it helped.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds exciting! Let's hope I can convince him to do it with me. And one last question. I live up in West Palm so Markham is about 1 hour away. Is it possible to get the package on Sunday or do I have to pick it up Saturday. If it is Saturday, I'll scope out the course a little.

And you will definitely be doing it September 2nd even though that is labor day weekend?
    Last edited by reedfe; 08-03-2012 at 04:45 PM.

... and if we just ...

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds exciting! Let's hope I can convince him to do it with me. And one last question. I live up in West Palm so Markham is about 1 hour away. Is it possible to get the package on Sunday or do I have to pick it up Saturday. If it is Saturday, I'll scope out the course a little.

And you will definitely be doing it September 2nd even though that is labor day weekend?
    You're welcome! I believe that Sat would be the day to pick up the package in Markham and to register if you haven't yet. I'd definitely would want to pre-ride the route as well, since it is all new even for the veteran riders.

On the maintenance day I would check in a little later, since it is a holiday weekend but that hasn't stopped us before..

... and if we just ...

I rode the race-route this AM and it is great! There is some climbing in it but nothing really bad. There are a few more wood bridges in it than I initially thought, but again nothing crazy. Take it easy on the trail and enjoy!!
    There are 85 solo riders and 55 teams so far in the race and this doesn't include people registering today!! Thanks to all for participating!!!

Good job!

There were a total of 330 riders in Markham today and so 'Rumble in the Jungle' was an enormous success!
    A big thanks to all the participants and the sponsors

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great race today. The course was perfect imo.

Saw a handful of people taking pics. Any idea where we might be able to view some of them?

Thanks again Oscar, cant wait to race there again.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    Great race today. The course was perfect imo.

Saw a handful of people taking pics. Any idea where we might be able to view some of them?

Thanks again Oscar, cant wait to race there again.
    Your Welcome ! Glad you enjoyed he event and course.
    Probably tomorrow pics will be posted on the trail-build site as well as on FB.
    On FB look for the Markham Park mountain bikers page. I can add you to the group if need be.
    The next race will be the 12 Hours of Markham on Dec 15th... That will be the first time to ride there at night!! I will race in that one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I joined the fb group. And we'll be there in dec for sure!

^^ Cool! This way you can keep up with what is going on at the park.

mtbr member
    To everybody involved in one way or another in the Rumble in the Jungle,
    THANKS!!!!

You guys outdid yourselves! great event. count my team in for the next race!

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    since Markham is in Broward i'm asking this here...anyone do any track racing at the Velodrome in Broward?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticKJ View Post
    since Markham is in Broward i'm asking this here...anyone do any track racing at the Velodrome in Broward?
    Don't know about that. There are folks who ride both street and Mtb but I personally don't know anyone going to the velodrome in Broward.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by pablobaq View Post
    To everybody involved in one way or another in the Rumble in the Jungle,
    THANKS!!!!

You guys outdid yourselves! great event. count my team in for the next race!
    Thanks for your support The next race is the 12 hour of Markham on Dec 15 2012.

The whole affair was somewhat overwhelming in a very positive way. There were 334 riders and between the riders and generous contributions from sponsors, close to $10 K was raised for the trails. This was way beyond expectation.
    There is a lot that can and will be done with that money. All we need now are more people to physically help on the trail-build days so that we can quickly fix trails like Outback extension and Rte 66. The latter needs to be raised in places for it to stay open all year or at least more than it is now.

... and if we just ...

Trails are in great shape this AM. Just some puddles in the usual spots, nothing too muddy, unless you aim for it...

Trails are dry and fast! It was actually pretty muggy this AM and when you were out of the shady area's, pretty fricking hot too..

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Trials were in great condition today! Rte 66 was still closed though :/ . I rode 2 loops on my new singlespeed and conquered more hills than when it was geared! I finally grew a pair and did all of the drops that I chickened out on the previous 2 times. What a great way to spend the last day of summer before school starts!

Great report and ride for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit muddy this morning after the deluge we had around 5 AM.

... and if we just ...

Trails are pretty dry and kudos to whom ever has been cutting the veggies!!

Hopefully we won't need kayak's to get around the trail system...
    For sure Rte 66 will be a flood zone.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast