Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Alright so it turns out I'm going to be needing a few hours this summer to become a member of NHS at my high school. Just to review, trail building is the first Sunday of every month, minors can participate, and I can get credit for the hours. Correct? Also do you guys know roughly how long you work each day? And what time do the troops assemble?

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    I rode again today. Markham is SICK!
    Here is my new time and distance according to my computer.
    I did the WHOLE park. didnt skip anything

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

U guys think the distance is accurate?

Hop Head
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Pretty spot on, but Deep Dark is now part of Rockgarden as they merged these trails into one longer trail. I added a few new trails/names since they are recent additions.
    Before rock garden and deep dark merged, i remember these was a fun feature in rock garden that had a sharp left, then sharp right into a pretty sharp steep rocky climb. Am i crazy or was this feature taken out of those merged trails? Also, coming out of route 66 expert, what the heck is cat walk? Is that just the exit to the trail head? Sorry but i'm trying to mentally follow the flow of the trail order listed and i got all of it except those. Thanks..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by toofdoc View Post
    Before rock garden and deep dark merged, i remember these was a fun feature in rock garden that had a sharp left, then sharp right into a pretty sharp steep rocky climb. Am i crazy or was this feature taken out of those merged trails? Also, coming out of route 66 expert, what the heck is cat walk? Is that just the exit to the trail head? Sorry but i'm trying to mentally follow the flow of the trail order listed and i got all of it except those. Thanks..
    I remember that feature as well, it was a fun section. The way it's laid out now though it still exists, you just go over it in reverse so it's a quick little rocky drop now. And since Rock Garden is longer now, it's later on in the trail.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

The Cat Walk is 'Land of Oz' and is the long bridge feature in the expert part of 66, just before the steep hill with the rubber mat..66 now exits near where the original entrance used to be before it was moved to the current location near the exit of Black Snake/Alligator.

Since Rock Garden is reversed when it was merged with DDF the climbs became descents and nothing was left out, it is just in reverse now.

The flow of the trails is more logical now than let's say 2+ years back when I started riding there. The new little 'connector' trails like Iguana Ridge and Las Olas make for a more intense work out if you want too.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Hop Head
    Cool, thanks, i thought DDF was reversed. I'm also diggin iguana ridge. Only thing, like mentioned before, that berm on the first drop needs to be higher in order to be huckable (is that a word?) Also, where is las olas?

The Cat Walk is 'Land of Oz' and is the long bridge feature in the expert part of 66, just before the steep hill with the rubber mat..66 now exits near where the original entrance used to be before it was moved to the current location near the exit of Black Snake/Alligator.

Since Rock Garden is reversed when it was merged with DDF the climbs became descents and nothing was left out, it is just in reverse now.

The flow of the trails is more logical now than let's say 2+ years back when I started riding there. The new little 'connector' trails like Iguana Ridge and Las Olas make for a more intense work out if you want too.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by reedfe View Post
    Alright so it turns out I'm going to be needing a few hours this summer to become a member of NHS at my high school. Just to review, trail building is the first Sunday of every month, minors can participate, and I can get credit for the hours. Correct? Also do you guys know roughly how long you work each day? And what time do the troops assemble?

Thanks so much!
    You have to register with the county for volunteer work and than you can get your hrs signed of by the guys in charge of the trail build crew. We meet at about 8:30 AM on the first Sunday every month. The hours put in will vary from person to person. Some people stay for a few hours while others stay until their project is finished.
    Some things take more time than others to accomplish depending on how many people show up.
    Best to bring a camelback, snacks and work gloves, long-sleeved shirt(old) pants and work-boots of some type. Bugspray is helpful too..
    After work some of us will meet up at Big Al's sports bar across the street from Markham in that shopping plaza for food and a beer or ice tea if you're a minor...

Cool, thanks, i thought DDF was reversed. I'm also diggin iguana ridge. Only thing, like mentioned before, that berm on the first drop needs to be higher in order to be huckable (is that a word?) Also, where is las olas?
    I agree with you on that drop/berm thing in Iguana..It leaves me wanting for a better solution too.
    Las Olas is that pump track like trail past Area 51 where you ride on Pipeline. Way past Pipeline you will get to a small wooden feature that you huck off from and normally make sharp right. Instead of making a right you go straight up the hill and you're in Las Olas. LO will drop you 50 feet further on the same trail you left earlier, but just before the 'Huck You' drop in the Eviction area. I hope this didn't confuse you...

Hop Head
    I agree with you on that drop/berm thing in Iguana..It leaves me wanting for a better solution too.
    Las Olas is that pump track like trail past Area 51 where you ride on Pipeline. Way past Pipeline you will get to a small wooden feature that you huck off from and normally make sharp right. Instead of making a right you go straight up the hill and you're in Las Olas. LO will drop you 50 feet further on the same trail you left earlier, but just before the 'Huck You' drop in the Eviction area. I hope this didn't confuse you...
    Followed you completely, i have been riding LO and didn't even notice. Thanks buddy!

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    You have to register with the county for volunteer work and than you can get your hrs signed of by the guys in charge of the trail build crew. We meet at about 8:30 AM on the first Sunday every month. The hours put in will vary from person to person. Some people stay for a few hours while others stay until their project is finished.
    Some things take more time than others to accomplish depending on how many people show up.
    Best to bring a camelback, snacks and work gloves, long-sleeved shirt(old) pants and work-boots of some type. Bugspray is helpful too..
    After work some of us will meet up at Big Al's sports bar across the street from Markham in that shopping plaza for food and a beer or ice tea if you're a minor...
    Is there a number I should contact or just the park number? And just to clarify, are the trails still open for riding that day? I'll be coming from west palm so I hope i can ride too as it is one of my favorite trails in the area

And lots more trails are being changed/ renamed. Is there possibly an updated map?

... and if we just ...

Try this link for the volunteer form http://www.co.broward.fl.us/Parks/Ge...0enterable.pdf

And this link for vids on the trails Markham Park Trail Video's

This for the trail map, however the latest is not on this map as things evolved rather quickly...
    Markham Park Mountain Bike Trails

The trails are open for riding, although some may be temporary closed for obvious reasons.
    Hope this helped out..

mtbr member
    Try this link for the volunteer form http://www.co.broward.fl.us/Parks/Ge...0enterable.pdf

And this link for vids on the trails Markham Park Trail Video's

This for the trail map, however the latest is not on this map as things evolved rather quickly...
    Markham Park Mountain Bike Trails

The trails are open for riding, although some may be temporary closed for obvious reasons.
    Hope this helped out..
    Thanks for the Links.. .I liked the videos
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did 12 miles today...pretty dead comparedf to last time I was there. I missed the back sections of Gunrange last time and RT 66 was closed, so did those also liked the reroute of iguna ridge and the otherconnector trail. Loved the boardwalks on Rt 66. Had to life flight a guy out of iguana ridge this afternoon went OTB on the drop and severed his main artery in his leg...OUCH!!!

I'll be back in Miami for three days at the beg. of July so I plan to do MArkham, Virginia KEy, and Amelia...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

Hop Head
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    Did 12 miles today...pretty dead comparedf to last time I was there. I missed the back sections of Gunrange last time and RT 66 was closed, so did those also liked the reroute of iguna ridge and the otherconnector trail. Loved the boardwalks on Rt 66. Had to life flight a guy out of iguana ridge this afternoon went OTB on the drop and severed his main artery in his leg...OUCH!!!

I'll be back in Miami for three days at the beg. of July so I plan to do MArkham, Virginia KEy, and Amelia...
    Wow, that's terrible. There are a lot of people on the trails on the weekends that really shouldn't be ...
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yes, it could happen to anyone, but it seems I always see quite a few folks at MArkham on trails that are above their ability. Last time i was there there were a group of 4 or 5 kids and 2 of them had BMX bikes, and the other 2 had Wal-gooses, didn't seem like a good mix for the trails.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

Hop Head
    Yes, it can happen to anyone, but less likely, as you said, if you ride within your abilities. I cringe sometimes when I pass people on more difficult trails and pray they don't get hurt, especially the kids on BMXs
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

Wow that sucks! An OTB can happen anytime, but that is pretty bad. I hope that guy will be fine. I agree that too many peeps are in over their heads and let their ego's dictate their ride. I always tell folks; "when in doubt, walk it out" .
    Markham is still quite hard even after all the improvements made. Even though I can ride all the trails, I still have days that I will skip a trail or part thereof just because it doesn't feel right. Careful out there folks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I rode Markham Thursday for the first time in a long time. I primarily road ride, but I like to mix it up and go beat up my 10 yr old mtb (LOL) to have some fun. My skill level is above average and I have no problem hanging with other riders, HOWEVER, my biggest complaint about Markham is the snobs (or I should say groups) that ride all out like they are pro's racing for money. This made the afternoon extremely dangerous because I was riding with a friend that a group of riders forced off the trail to overtake him. He apparently wasnt riding up to their speed so he was forced off the trail, this happened more than once by different groups. I was very close to approaching the guys as they were chatting by gun range, but I wasnt worth it.

Guys like that make me want to stay on the road and take the risk of 4000 missiles flying by me, I actually feel safer.

mtbr member
    having never gone to Markham it concerns me to think that other riders don't have the proper trail courtesy as the other parks I've rode at. there is no reason a group of riders or one person should force another rider off the trail just to get past them.thats the way riders with less experience get hurt and trails get closed.
    29er from now on!!!

Hop Head
    Quote Originally Posted by SlurpeeKing View Post
    I rode Markham Thursday for the first time in a long time. I primarily road ride, but I like to mix it up and go beat up my 10 yr old mtb (LOL) to have some fun. My skill level is above average and I have no problem hanging with other riders, HOWEVER, my biggest complaint about Markham is the snobs (or I should say groups) that ride all out like they are pro's racing for money. This made the afternoon extremely dangerous because I was riding with a friend that a group of riders forced off the trail to overtake him. He apparently wasnt riding up to their speed so he was forced off the trail, this happened more than once by different groups. I was very close to approaching the guys as they were chatting by gun range, but I wasnt worth it.

Guys like that make me want to stay on the road and take the risk of 4000 missiles flying by me, I actually feel safer.
    I posted about this in another forum and people gave me negative rep for whining, I guess people are allowed to just do whatever the hell they want without reguard for others...

Trail etiquette
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not surprising really, I've seen quite a few that think they are the final lap of world championships, and will blow you off the trails.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am always courteous to other riders and try to stay aware of those coming up behind me but if some knuckleheaded dirt roadie can wait 30 seconds for me to give them the right-away. They will end up in the bush. I'm not clipped in, ride a durable bike, and not afraid to crash. Just show respect for all skill levels.

A little courtesy goes a long way to make trail riding a lot more fun and safe for everyone.
    I am not the fastest rider, but I must say that it is annoying to be behind someone who isn't making any attempt to get out of the way when asked.
    I make room for those who want to pass me when it is safe to do so too. I won't pull over just anywhere, but it isn't going to take half the trail either....
    If any rude behavior is experienced, you should find one of the many Patrol guys out there. Thursdays, Friday and the weekend there are at east 4-5 of them riding as well as doing trail work...

mtbr member
    I make room for those who want to pass me when it is safe to do so too. I won't pull over just anywhere, but it isn't going to take half the trail either....

Exactly, keep it courteous, keep it safe.. thats how it should be. I think that's the way its been for me in MKM.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SlurpeeKing View Post

that's just south florida for you. People here have the "huck you" mentality...

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast