Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    You're welcome. I heard that up to 40.000 bikes could show up.
    after last year and seeing how the park looked like a garbage dump the day after, I believe it....
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I was working inside the trails and heard the helicopters and bikes and music all day long! I guess it was busy… The high school kids, volunteering to clean up the garbage, were being prepped for a thankless job.. I was getting fuel for the dozer when I saw them getting ready to work.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Update!

After 9 days of reconstruction, we reopened Armadillo trail and I must say it is really nice! We also finished the third section of the AMTB trail and had one of our AMTB riders out riding to see if we needed to change/add anything and it is all good l! We also have a new sign for this trail system and hope that IMBA will pick up on this design.

Adaptive Trail Sign-1.pdf

Watch for these signs to pop up soon on Warm-up loop, Fishing-hole loop, Red-back Bypass, the new AMTB section after Traverse and other places these bikes can ride. The AMTB riders will have right of way on any trail designated for their specific use!! These trails will also get the green designation as beginner trail and fall between green and blue in all reality. We are building the AMTB trail in such way that there are some challenges ,so these guys and gals can get stronger and better and not get bored by just riding fire-roads. Total mileage when all is said and done is about 4+ miles. Markham Park will be among the first municipal parks in Florida (maybe the country?) to have a dedicated trail designed and built for the AMTB riders within an existing trail system.

More Human Than Human
    Hello Oscar,

Yes, I have seen you guys working the trails and creating magic! Again I thank you for the dedication you and the team of volunteers provide to these trails. I enjoy each and every ride no matter if it is sunny or raining, hot as hell or cold as hell, full of Florida's national birds (a.k.a. The Mosquito) or green riders it just brings a grin to my face. Here is a shot from one of my recent rides (last Saturday I had a flat and had to retire early from my regular 3 hour ride):

Markham Park Info-markham-december-2013.jpg
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    -Confucius

Glad you're enjoying the trails. My brother just bought himself a Niner Jet9 last weekend and he will start riding also!
    I guess I rubbed off some enthusiasm for the sport and got him going too!

We rerouted the Washing Machine trail today which is now longer and a little more challenging than before. It will still put you out toward Alligator Alley and Rte.66. Some other minor fixes were taken care off as well. Next weekend there is the Markham 360 race and the trails will be closed during the race and reopen in the late PM… Pre-riding can be done Friday PM and Saturday all day. We hope peeps will stay in the marked trails like that did last time!!!

This coming Sunday the 12th, the trails will be CLOSED for the Markham 360 race. It is a fundraiser for us and we have amazing sponsors and raffle prizes. The race course will be set up this Friday in the AM and you can ride the course in the PM and all day Saturday.
    Hope to see some of you out there!

Markham 360

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Race course is set-up!

The race course has been set up today and we ask that everyone PLEASE follow the course arrows.
    The entrance of the trails start at the East Gunrange Trail Gate north of the 8th Street Gate.
    Follow the arrows and you will end up at the trailhead. Some trails are reversed and we like to keep everyone safe by not allowing anyone in the regular way. The Pump-track and Skills area are CLOSED to keep people from randomly riding around…

Good job!

The race was a great success today. Everyone had a great time and besides the usual mechanicals we had no emergency's and we raised the funds needed for the trails.
    A big thank you to our sponsors and all the racers for supporting our trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Great to hear! Thanks for the dedication

You're Welcome!

Trail maintenance is this coming Sunday Feb 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Markham Park Info

Im planning on riding here this weekend for the first time. What should I expect for trail conditions? I see there has been a good amount of rain in the area the past few days. Thanks.

mtbr member
    i'm expecting everything to be great. we needed some rain. there maybe some areas with some mud, but generally i think they should be fine. route66, which is one of my favs is prone to getting muddy. Oscar will know better then me what the current conditions are. i'll be out there Saturday for a personal inspection

Markham did get 2" of much needed rain and yesterday the trails were wet but not too bad. The usual spots will have mud and, as I didn't ride today, I expect 66 to be very wet possibly needing to be closed. I will ride tomorrow and the group will make a decision about the 66 trail. Just remember that the wood features are slippery when wet.
    This Sunday we also have trail maintenance day to address overgrowth and various issues on the trails in order of urgency. The big county dozer broke this week and we couldn't stage fill where needed so we are limited in what will happen..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Markham did get 2" of much needed rain and yesterday the trails were wet but not too bad. The usual spots will have mud and, as I didn't ride today, I expect 66 to be very wet possibly needing to be closed. I will ride tomorrow and the group will make a decision about the 66 trail. Just remember that the wood features are slippery when wet.
    This Sunday we also have trail maintenance day to address overgrowth and various issues on the trails in order of urgency. The big county dozer broke this week and we couldn't stage fill where needed so we are limited in what will happen..
    I was there testing my new Santa Cruz Heckler in that rain, was fun! Didn't ride Route 66 although the intermediate warm-up trail was pretty overgrown, but that's part of the fun! lol

How does the volunteer trail maintenance impact the availability of trails?

A little late, but usually when we do trail work we try to minimize closures but sometimes we have to close one entire trail if there aren't any bypasses in that trail. Today Pipeline was repaired but the rest of Area 51 remained open. We also worked on Rte.66 but that trail is closed due to mud and standing water. When we work on Armadillo we also have to close part of RockGarden as the exit drop shoots you into Armadillo. Today we closed the second Outback trail as we rebuild the big berm and the drop leading into it. Doing that work required partial closure of the AMTB trail that also got fixed near the end of it. We never got around to doing any cutback so that will happen in March I guess..

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Markham Park Info

I for one appreciate all the hard work out there... Thank you!

You're welcome!! I like riding as much as building and the new berm in the Whale trail (before Gun-range) came out beautifully! Dropping in makes for such fast flow that the only pedaling needed is just before the exit drop. Next major fix in there will be the climb after the wooden berm.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Markham Park Info

You're welcome!! I like riding as much as building and the new berm in the Whale trail (before Gun-range) came out beautifully! Dropping in makes for such fast flow that the only pedaling needed is just before the exit drop. Next major fix in there will be the climb after the wooden berm.
    I rode this afternoon... The berm is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
    I rode this afternoon... The berm is awesome!
    Glad you like it!!! It took 6 peeps, 20 tons of fill and the Dingo to get it build…

This Sunday there is the usual TM day. There is lots of cutback to do and also trail repairs that are overdue. The crew can use some help as our trusty Dingo is in the shop for a leaky seal in the hydraulics..

This weekend we will have two races. The one on Saturday PM is a short track race put on as a fundraiser for Cory Zimmerman who was involved in a car wreck. Cory is one of the main guys in the free ride area and has helped us numerous times in the regular trails as well. Check out this site… Home

The Markham 100 on Sunday is our trail fundraiser. It will be great fun while we help out a fellow rider and the trails all in one nice weekend.

5 hours left to register on-line! You can also register tomorrow at the scoring tent near the trail-head.

More Human Than Human
    Some awesome trails at Markham! Enjoying them all since 1997!

Markham Park Info-2013-04-26-14.47.33.jpg
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    -Confucius

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast