Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Markham Park Info

Update! Sunday 10-27-13 the trails will be closed for the FSC race till late afternoon. Please don't bother coming in if you are not racing. It will be heavily patrolled... On Saturday you can ride the race course only!! Please respect the tape as it is a major PITA to set it all up.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    on saturday...will all the trails be closed all day except race course? or...will they be out setting up the course during the day and at some point trails will close? also, the do you know what/where the course will be and what skill level will be required to ride it?

saturday am is my usual ride, but, i'm a novice and wouldn't want to get on a race course that went through some advanced/expert areas that i cant handle...yet

Markham Park Info

To what extent the course will be set up I don't know but it will be rideable by all but the most novice riders. Don't forget you can always get off your bike too..

mtbr member
    lol good point...thx as always

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Update! Sunday 10-27-13 the trails will be closed for the FSC race till late afternoon. Please don't bother coming in if you are not racing. It will be heavily patrolled... On Saturday you can ride the race course only!! Please respect the tape as it is a major PITA to set it all up.
    also saturday afternoon, scheduled at 4pm, there will be a short track race related to sundays race...
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    also saturday afternoon, scheduled at 4pm, there will be a short track race related to sundays race...
    Thanks for that, I almost forgot...Ooooops..

rubber side down
    To what extent the course will be set up I don't know but it will be rideable by all but the most novice riders. Don't forget you can always get off your bike too..
    So it looks like my son wants to race on Sunday. He is 12 y/o. We're both stoked! Will we be able to ride the actual course he'll be racing on Saturday? Friday?

Since this his first, would he enter the "XC-J" (10-14?)...guess so since that is the only one with his age range...

Should be a fun time!~
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    So it looks like my son wants to race on Sunday. He is 12 y/o. We're both stoked! Will we be able to ride the actual course he'll be racing on Saturday? Friday?

Since this his first, would he enter the "XC-J" (10-14?)...guess so since that is the only one with his age range...

Should be a fun time!~
    The course should be set up by Friday Afternoon.

You should also be able to register the day of the event if you arent sure on proper category. Go to Gone Riding and give them a phone call, they should be able to answer any questions on category. and also look into putting your son into the Free kids riding clinic put on by one of the pro racers. https://www.facebook.com/bobmccartyracing
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

rubber side down
    The course should be set up by Friday Afternoon.

You should also be able to register the day of the event if you arent sure on proper category. Go to Gone Riding and give them a phone call, they should be able to answer any questions on category. and also look into putting your son into the Free kids riding clinic put on by one of the pro racers. https://www.facebook.com/bobmccartyracing
    I appreciate the reply and the information!
    TAOS on pinkbike

Thanks for the info Sandspur! I have been in the Keys all week dealing with some personal issues and business… Hopefully I can make it Sunday to help patrol the course..

rubber side down
    The race course was really fun, wish it could have stayed up for a while! Good turnout. My son finished the 2 laps and proud he did so! Some sandbaggers in his class
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The race course was really fun, wish it could have stayed up for a while! Good turnout. My son finished the 2 laps and proud he did so! Some sandbaggers in his class
    what makes you think theyre sandbaggers?

The race was a big success and the trails are still in great shape considering the traffic we had. The race course had to be taken down as per county directive as there were trails in reverse and we have too many people who, sadly, can't follow the rules as… We only had to ask 3 people to leave the trails during the race but they left without issue. One of our patrollers is a BSO officer……

Glad you and you kid had a good time. Sandbagging is a way for some to feel better than they are and if that makes them happy than so be it. Their fantasy world will collapse soon enough… That kid with all that stuff on his helmet was one annoying dude btw.We had to toss him out of the skills area as he rode the closed teeter. Both Chris and I were ready to spank him after giving us lip about it… I think he won the kids race too..

rubber side down
    Glad you and you kid had a good time. Sandbagging is a way for some to feel better than they are and if that makes them happy than so be it. Their fantasy world will collapse soon enough… That kid with all that stuff on his helmet was one annoying dude btw.We had to toss him out of the skills area as he rode the closed teeter. Both Chris and I were ready to spank him after giving us lip about it… I think he won the kids race too..
    I could tell that many of those super fast kids are annoying...but maybe not all their fault...I saw many annoying adults too...I just hope my son wants to try another race...either way, we both have blast just riding together.....Hope to see (and actually meet you) out there soon!
    TAOS on pinkbike

rubber side down
    what makes you think theyre sandbaggers?
    I may have signed him for the wrong class then....but they did not have many options for the 10-14y/o class. A few of those kids looked like they were older...and sure rode like they were... My bad, not looking to offend, but I'm not the only one that brought it up.
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I may have signed him for the wrong class then....but they did not have many options for the 10-14y/o class. A few of those kids looked like they were older...and sure rode like they were... My bad, not looking to offend, but I'm not the only one that brought it up.
    Im not familiar with any of the racers in that class, so you didnt offend. I was just curious why. I know Juniors 10-14 have no ability categories.. so you could have juniors who have almost 10 years on a bicycle if their parents started them early...

I could tell that many of those super fast kids are annoying...but maybe not all their fault...I saw many annoying adults too...I just hope my son wants to try another race...either way, we both have blast just riding together.....Hope to see (and actually meet you) out there soon!
    There were some annoying adults too but we as patrollers only dealt with the 3 trail poacher and that was quickly and nicely resolved. I was pleased to see so many kids were out as that is the future of MTB right there. The community is pretty strong and for the most part all went as well as it could go. We should meet up one of these day and go for a ride!!

The peeps that put up the race did not offer that many choices for the kids "races". With kids it is very hard because there is a big difference between an 8 yr old and a 10 yr old and the list goes on. You'd have to have many categories of age groups to separate them all and keep boys and girls apart as well. That make for a long day. The skills section is a huge success and some kids went and build the bridge feature we couldn't finish in time… We have to take it apart and redo it but never-the-less they have fun and are learning to ride.

rubber side down
    Thanks for the info....after looking at the registration form again, I should have entered him in the XC-4 class. Main reason I did not is because they didn't have any age listed...(should have said (all ages). That group only had to do one loop, plus I could have raced with him....which we may do for the next race. I'll just have to call to confirm.
    TAOS on pinkbike

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Markham Park Info

Anything happening at Markham this weekend?

I have a friend coming down from Orlando to ride...

Thanks...

All should be ok this weekend AFAIK but likely will use the WEST GATE by GunRange to get in. There is the Jamaican Jerk festival on November 10 though and the trails will be CLOSED that day… The vendors use the 8th street gate and make a left past the pump track through the main gate to get in…. The only peeps that can enter are the MTB patrollers at that time. NO exceptions!
    Last edited by OscarW; 10-30-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Markham Park Info

Thanks!!!

Appreciate the quick reply...

mtbr member
    All should be ok this weekend AFAIK but likely will use the WEST GATE by GunRange to get in.
    this weekend 11/2-3 the normal entry will be closed?

It is possible, just keep an eye out for the sign the park puts up in the median right out of the main gate..

This coming Sunday, the trails at Markham will be CLOSED due to the Jamaican Jerk Fest.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast