Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Markham Park Info

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Las Olas is the trail that you can ride after you come from Area 51 and the big undulating wooden bridge feature called Pipeline. Just go straight when you pass that tiny wood bridge and you see the wooden sign "Las Olas". The trail is almost like a pump track. Las Olas will lead you into "Huck You" and Eviction. The woman who makes the signs is on a mission to replace all the trail signs with different designs and cool lettering.
    Awesome. That sign is unique and pretty cool
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    To clear up the controversial fees that have started at Markham heres a post from one of the Markham Park Trail Builders:

"This morning the core group of Markham Trail Volunteers had a meeting with park management to get the FACTS regarding the new "Amenities Fees" the county will be charging. So in efforts to keep everyone informed of what's going on I want to share the information to set things straight.
    As of April 1st, 2013, Broward County Parks will begin charging an "Amenities Fee" at all county parks. In regards to Markham this will include a $25 per year usage fee for the MTB Trails, Model Airplane Field, and Dog Park (all separate fees). There will also be a one day pass available for $5. Starting April 1st, anyone wishing to enter the Trail Head Gate must go to the Park Office and pay the fee..."
    Wait so to clarify, us out of towners who drive down to Markham once or twice a year would only have to pay $5 to ride, not $25+ to ride? That's would be major bummer otherwise. It already costs me about $80 in gas.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No you can ride $5 a day per person as well.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    No you can ride $5 a day per person as well.
    Okay cool thanks. I love Markham, but the 3.5 hour drive keeps me from riding there more than very occasionally.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    The passes are being checked and I recommend getting it done. The holes in the fences will be repaired as well, so going through them will no longer be an option. You don't really want to get caught for destruction of county property and trespassing as well. From the 'powers that be' I was told that enforcement will pick up more and this can only benefit the trail system.

On a lighter note; the trails are in great shape after all the rain..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My first time there last week and did 2 full laps all trails....had a blast.
    Glad I followed someone with experience, since trail direction can be confusing.
    Watched the video, paid the $25 and ready to hit it on a regular basis.

^ Glad you enjoyed the trails!!

mtbr member
    cant wait to move back down there for good... now alafia is my home trail which is also amazing
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

Markham Park Info

Nothing wrong with Alafia though. Never ridden it, but hear good things about it and Balm Boyette too!

mtbr member
    You would really like Alafia it's very similar to markham
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

This summer I'll make some time to ride there. It will be hot, but so what right?? Good to lose some pounds that way too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Id like to say thanks to all the people that volunteer out at markham.... Just started riding there about 2 months because the the park manager had me all sketched out about the experience level needed to ride all the sections of the park....Known Trevor for a long time and trusted his judgement on bike experience

So after practicing my skills at quiet waters for 5 months straight, 4-5 days a week, i was surprised how easy the trails were....and how well they were maintained..... Unfortunately the park is quite a distance from my house which prevents me from volunteering there yet and riding there on the weekends! But this summer i plan to pay my respect and help out at a trail system which ive become to love....I find its challenging enough for me because personally i cant afford to get hurt and its just awesome with this rain coming down....

Rode there yesterday and it was fantastic until i broke a chain on the drops on Crime Scene.....then it was un-fantastic scootering my bike back to the parking lot.....Will never not carry a power link from now on.....DAMN OLD CHAIN! LOL

Big Thanks to all you Volunteers....See you out there soon!

Oh yeah and the $25 is sooo worth it to keep less desirables off the trails.....since i ride quiet waters, you'd see old woman on beach cruisers on the trails just destroying everything, and shouldnt be even trying some of the feature on bikes they were riding...No offense to woman riders...got my ass handed to me by one the other day! but Since implamenting the fee i havent seen any of those riders any more! And the trails are showing!

Markham Park Info

Thanks Mike! The fee helps in more ways than one . See you on TM days!

Tomorrow is TM day!! I hope to see a few peeps out there as we need to trim the veggies and pick up the potato vine seeds....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Rode markham on Friday morning and the trails were just perfect......Not one patch of soft sand nor mud.....what a pleasant ride!

Had my first sub hour ride there too..... 59:12 riding every trail the hard ways threw....all expert sections....I know its not fast but ive only been riding now 7 months and was out for a month with a bad shoulder....

It was still 6 mins faster then my best time.... I hear people can buzz threw it in under 42 mins so i have a goal to work toward.....

Hopefully i can get out there on tues or weds for another lap! See you on the trails~

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Rode yesterday, yes yesterday during and after all that rain. Trails were flooded but had loads of fun anyways. Trails were good as always, other than alligator alley being flooded almost completely. Keep up the good work OscarW and many others.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Thanks! We were working on Alligator yesterday and had to wait in the truck while it was raining... I couldn't help out today though but I am sure a few projects got done anyway..

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Someone was working around Big Gulp today. Trails was good, a little wet around 9am but riding well. We just go a town of rain here in Boca, not sure about Markham.

Markham Park Info

Big Gulp was restored to its old ways...

Update on Markham!
    It is soggy, wet and overgrown in places....
    Last TM day we only had 7 peeps show up and we tried to do what we could, but the Fakawi tour was going on too, so many regulars were riding that instead.
    Please stay out of the flooded Rte 66 trail, as nobody will come and get you if you have an accident. You're on your own in there. Oh one more thing, the mosquitos are out in full force, so keep moving when you ride. The bug spray I used, had little effect when I worked in Gunrange...

rubber side down
    Hey Oscar, thanks for all you do there! I have not been back to Markham for some time. Been hitting Amelia Earhart. Hope this week is dry, planning on hitting it up Sunday.

Hows the fishing? Heating up?

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Update on Markham!
    It is soggy, wet and overgrown in places....
    Last TM day we only had 7 peeps show up and we tried to do what we could, but the Fakawi tour was going on too, so many regulars were riding that instead.
    Please stay out of the flooded Rte 66 trail, as nobody will come and get you if you have an accident. You're on your own in there. Oh one more thing, the mosquitos are out in full force, so keep moving when you ride. The bug spray I used, had little effect when I worked in Gunrange...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Markham Park Info

I'm not oscar but I was there a week ago, all the trails were good other than Route 66 being flooded and closed off. Because most of the trails are under trees which I'm sure you know, they are a lot cooler and easier to ride.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    Hey Oscar, thanks for all you do there! I have not been back to Markham for some time. Been hitting Amelia Earhart. Hope this week is dry, planning on hitting it up Sunday.

Hows the fishing? Heating up?
    Fishing has been very good and still is although we are now all fishing in the AM as the heat is getting tough even on the water. I rode 90% of the trails this AM and if the rain stays away they will be perfect for the week. The only thing is that the vegetation is getting to be too much in places... Have fun riding !!

Hi There!
    Is it possible to get some signs on the connector trails that indicate which way toward the other trails? The other day I came off Rock Garden i think it was (it ended right by that freeride stuff), got out to the novice connector trail and had no idea which way to go. I've ridden there over 10 times thru the years and still haven't found all the trails I see on youtube. Trails I have ridden are very cool though, thanks.
    NTFTC

Right now we have a big issue with the overgrowth of the vegetation obscuring some trail connections but I see your point in better signage. Rock Garden actually leads to Armadillo and from there straight over the wood bridge into Redback that is next to the Free ride area...From Armadillo you can also go to Iguana Ridge/Fishinghole loop if you make a left across the open area (aka Dump) , climb the steep hill and follow that trail. It will lead back up to the exit of Armadillo.. Hope it helps...

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast