Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    This is a direct quote from the park manager in regards to my question about the fee's for family's

"Yes, we will be assisting the families of 4 or more. We will charge the parents and not the children. However, if the parents do not ride then we will only charge the children. It should never exceed $75."

I hope this helps....
    Excellent, thanks for the information

rubber side down
    To clear up the controversial fees that have started at Markham heres a post from one of the Markham Park Trail Builders:

"This morning the core group of Markham Trail Volunteers had a meeting with park management to get the FACTS regarding the new "Amenities Fees" the county will be charging. So in efforts to keep everyone informed of what's going on I want to share the information to set things straight.
    As of April 1st, 2013, Broward County Parks will begin charging an "Amenities Fee" at all county parks. In regards to Markham this will include a $25 per year usage fee for the MTB Trails, Model Airplane Field, and Dog Park (all separate fees). There will also be a one day pass available for $5. Starting April 1st, anyone wishing to enter the Trail Head Gate must go to the Park Office and pay the fee, sign a new updated waiver, and receive a new access card. If you have the current access card you will not need to watch the safety video again. It will be required viewing for any new riders as it has been for the past several years. This is an annual fee that expires on Dec 31 each year and will need to be renewed. Once you have obtained an access card at Markham or Quiet Waters it will be good at either park or any other Broward County Park that opens a designated MTB trail. There will be concessions made for any current registered volunteer who has logged 50+ hours in the previous year .
    Now to answer the big question, "Where is the money going?"
    We have been informed that Markham will be getting a new Trailhead Pavilion which has already been approved, as well as a new composting restroom at the trailhead. We could not be given a definite time frame as to the completion of the projects due to the large number of projects currently ongoing throughout the county, but they are coming. Also keep in mind that although the Markham Park Trail Building Fund is able to fund a great majority of the materials and equipment used for upkeep of the trails we are still supported by the Park Management with equipment rentals, materials, signs, our fund raising races, as well as many other aspects of daily activities required to keep the trails open.
    So, think about this. Up until now, the Trails have been a parcel of land that at anytime the powers that be could come in and shut down to use for whatever they wanted. Now that they will be a "Revenue Stream" for the county it will make it that much harder for them to do so. And at $25 per year plus $1.50 park entry, it still makes Broward County Park's Trails less expensive to enter than any other South Florida Trail.
    So, as with anything new, there will be some growing pains I'm sure. But, in the end we (The Usual Suspects) feel that in the long run this will benefit the S. Florida Mountain Biking Community greatly.
    Thanks,
    Chris"

Markham Park Info

Thanks for that post TAOS ! I have been super busy with work and so Mtb has taken a back seat for now. Depending on work I may come out this Sunday for TM day as the work will include some much needed repairs in a few spots. If one volunteers X hours, the pass will be free btw....

rubber side down
    Thanks for that post TAOS ! I have been super busy with work
    When we goin'? lol

Lemme know...LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Went to the park on Wednesday and got my new permit for $26.00. Rode in and no one was there checking riders entering. Came out three hours later and and no one there still. When I left, I stopped at the office and asked for a manager. I inquired about the permanent person who was suppose to be checking the riders entering the trails now for the new fee schedule that has been imposed and I was told that a person would only be checking for the new pasees on the weekends. Guess its better to just ride without regisrering like a lot of people have been doing.

Don't feel bad having paid for a pass as from what I heard it will change, however slowly. There will be someone at the gate in the weekends at first, since this is the time for more problem peeps to show up and wreak havoc on the trails.
    Weekdays early AM, is when the fast riders are out and they know what they are doing causing little to no issues. I don't remember seeing an ambulance during the week for example. We will start patrolling more as well, also during the week. If people think they can get away with crap we will just dial 911 and have law enforcement deal with the trespassers/idiots. There is a resident BSO officer on the property, so it will take mere minutes for him to show up anyway..

Today was a TM day and the usual clan was working on Iguana Ridge to repair it and some headway was made in the new skills area near the entrance. My friend and I cleared out the vegetation above Pipeline to keep the wood from rotting out. Nothing major was done but some essential stuff.
    There was a person at the gate to check for the new cards and apparently the office was busy selling them most of the day. It is also apparent that the need for a gate keeper is great as there were plenty of peeps who shouldn't be on the trails. A hardhat doesn't qualify as a riding helmet, just to mention one example...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Markham Park Info

Today was a TM day and the usual clan was working on Iguana Ridge to repair it and some headway was made in the new skills area near the entrance. My friend and I cleared out the vegetation above Pipeline to keep the wood from rotting out. Nothing major was done but some essential stuff.
    There was a person at the gate to check for the new cards and apparently the office was busy selling them most of the day. It is also apparent that the need for a gate keeper is great as there were plenty of peeps who shouldn't be on the trails. A hardhat doesn't qualify as a riding helmet, just to mention one example...
    Bought my pass yesterday and QW was busy selling them a lot of the day too. But really a hard hat?!?!
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Yes, some moron tried to ride in with a hardhat...I don't know what happened with him as I went to work..The gate was manned for most if not all day and the park is making an effort in doing this daily.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    First wanted to say thank you for all your hard work, I really should show up one of these Sunday's to help out. I don't think the 25 is a big deal since it was.so cheap before. I rode today and had a blast. I've been going to markham for a couple of years but have been going more frequently since my new bike purchase last year, anyhow I just discovered twisted trail today! I feel like an idiot for not knowing that it existed but what a kick ass trail , I was too tired to ride route 66 but will probably go tomorrow. I usually ride through everything and end up leaving after gun range. So my dumb ass didn't know about Bermuda triangle, twisted trail , route66!! I guess I should look at a map!
    Im thrilled to hit them up tomorrow, I wonder what other gems I'm missing at markham...

Thanks and since you missed Bermuda before, you probably missed Alligator Alley/Black Snake and Las Olas?? If you ride every trail you come to a little over 9 miles of trail. This year we will reach our goal of 10 miles.

As an FYI for everyone, the gate is now manned for the foreseeable future!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I guess I dont pay that much attention to the signs while riding. My typical ride looking at the map is warm up loop(expert), then rock garden, armadillo, traverse, area 51, supercross to eviction.
    outback, then I ride gunrange. I guess I was not aware of the trails on the eastern side.
    Yesterday I found what I think was twisted trail and I saw route 66 but was winded.
    The trail that im talking about was like a roller coaster mostly black dirt hills, had some killer wood ramps. which trail is this?
    Whats the best way to enter all those trails on the east?

If you come out of Gunrange you go over a little berm by the lake and make a sharp right just past the exit of the first Outback trail you exit before you went into Gunrange. This trail makes a few twists before you get into a gnarly climb followed by a sharp left turn and a drop. Keep riding until you see a trail bearing left, that is Outback Extension which has the big Ski-slope drop. This leads over a small wood bridge into an open area. There you bear left toward Crimescene, Jet Ski and Twisted Trail. Out of Ted's, aka Twisted trail, you make a turn right, a left turn and a climb that leads toward the wooden ramp and the big dirt hill after which you either go left to Bermuda or right to Alligator Alley and Rte 66..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks Oscar, Ill try that route next time, I think I have ridden outback extension but didn't do the ski-slope drop, is this the one that has a slight right turn before heading down?
    so which trail is the one I am describing with the rolling hills?wooden plank ramps?
    it was a blast!

You're welcome. The only one I can think of outside of Gunrange would be Pipeline which is part of Area 51 just past Traverse, or you may have ridden Alligator Alley as this trail has the 'High Point' wood structure in it.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    dam maybe ill take a map with me next time, I still cant believe I have been missing out on trails...DOH
    is the map on clubmud the most recent one?

Uh not really, as we added trails like Las Olas, Iguana Ridge, a small bypass trail on the East side of the trail system, and the new addition to Black Snake, not to mention the addition in Warm up loop you already found. If you want to ride with me one day I can show you around. Much easier to do...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I personally liked las olas very much. But that ski-slope drop is the thing that ended my ride 2 weeks ago... No clue exactly what happened so we can just call it a wipeout.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Markham Park Info

Sorry for your spill. It is a double red diamond trail... I should know as I helped build it. There are two signs on that trail warning people and it even took me by surprise when I rode it the first time, as you pick up so much speed...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sorry for your spill. It is a double red diamond trail... I should know as I helped build it. There are two signs on that trail warning people and it even took me by surprise when I rode it the first time, as you pick up so much speed...
    Even though I am newer to the sport I have very little issues regardless of the trail difficulties, I went on all the double diamond trails including gun range but the only time I fell was on that drop. Those trails are awesome wish I could make it out their more often.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    what part are you calling las olas?
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 11trk4300 View Post
    what part are you calling las olas?
    There is a trail called las olas. It's sign is not a traditional one though, it looked to be made out of wood. Thats how I could tell it apart from most others by memory.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Las Olas is the trail that you can ride after you come from Area 51 and the big undulating wooden bridge feature called Pipeline. Just go straight when you pass that tiny wood bridge and you see the wooden sign "Las Olas". The trail is almost like a pump track. Las Olas will lead you into "Huck You" and Eviction. The woman who makes the signs is on a mission to replace all the trail signs with different designs and cool lettering.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast