Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Steep on the Cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Next week we are meeting with a few riders who will inform us of their abilities and the bike's capabilities and the type of trail they like to ride. We are also getting bike dimensional measurements making our job a bit easier to build the trail. I.E we don't want to build a hump that would high center a long wheel based bike. We are exited to help in any way we can and provide a challenging trail that is also rideable by novice riders. We hope to get this project of the ground ASAP and also hope our race in March brings in much needed funding too.

More parks are going this way and Amelia has done some work in that area too. We are taking a little different route by getting the Wounded Warriors on board as well. This project is exciting in that we can give back to those who otherwise would be left out of a sport that brings a lot of camaraderie among the participants. The way we, preliminary, have laid out the trail makes it run parallel to the trails the 2 wheeled bikes ride, so that all riders can meet up at the end of each trail making for more of a group ride. A lot of the AMTB peeps do have friends riding with them who are on 2 wheels. Inclusion is the name of the game here.

Stay tuned!
    Just want to toss a at this whole concept.

I saw a fellow at Amelia a few weeks ago on a four wheeled rig that he was operating with his arms/hands. He appeared to be a double amputee below the hip. He was decked out in full riding gear, too. He was getting tons of cheers from everyone as he powered by.

The whole scene choked me up a little, and provided a whole hell of a lot of inspiration to achieve, accomplish, and overcome. It also put a lot of the things I complain about into perspective.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Markham Park Info

We did the ride and we were all amazed at how well our friend rode his bike on some existing trails that we thought he couldn't do. Boy were we all in awe! We are all dedicated to make this adaptive trail system work. We are also in touch with the Wounded Warriors to make them aware of what we are doing. The park manager is fully on board and dedicated to this project. More to come!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Has anyone rode or know of anyone who has a stumpjumper 29er HT in this area? I've been looking at them and wondering how they ride and handle markham and the other parks...
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benja1min View Post
    I'm sure it is a personal like or dislike but I've never been there either and was considering that too.
    I've been to markham before just asking how the bike felt there more or less, guess its different for everyone just wanted some local reviews that's all..
    2011 Trek 4300....

Next weekend we have the Markham 100 race to benefit the trails!!

Markham 100k Mountain Bike Race

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Next weekend we have the Markham 100 race to benefit the trails!!

Markham 100k Mountain Bike Race
    I've been looking at the races you guys hold. Too bad I was not ready for it yet. I'm trying to train for your rumble in the jungle race that you hold in summer time and already up to 14 miles consistant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Amie573 View Post
    Do Not skip Santos !!!' it's awsome.
    Hah for some reason that trail set scares me. I'm thinking about riding it this summer when I go to ocala but don't think i'll race it.

Markham Park Info

Remember to have fun when racing! The Markham races are to benefit the trails and aren't like the State series and CC races.
    Plenty of peeps ride as much as they can, mainly because the race course is so different from the regular course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Remember to have fun when racing! The Markham races are to benefit the trails and aren't like the State series and CC races.
    Plenty of peeps ride as much as they can, mainly because the race course is so different from the regular course.
    Oscar-was planning a ride at Markham this weekend with my fiance who is just starting, could I ride on Saturday before the day of the race or are trails closed for preparation??? Thanks.

Trails will likely be set up for the race, but if you follow the arrows and ride the course you should be fine.
    I have no idea what the course is going to be, as I am out of town for that weekend too.
    The trailsystem will be closed on race day until the race is over.

mtbr member
    Finally get to ride markham it's been awhile...ill be out there Wednesday afternoon sometime after 230
    2011 Trek 4300....

Good job!

The Markham 100 was a HUGE success with 250 riders and quite a few sponsors!!! Thanks to all who raced and donated money to the trail build fund!!!
    It was the largest turn out ever for the Markham races!!
    We are planning great things and the AMTB trail is high on the list as is the new skills area. The Teeter Totter has been build and is actually in the way of all the other goodies that have been build. The MuckTruck will be repaired and should be in full action for the April TM day.

Markham and QW will as of April 1st. start to charge a fee to ride the trails. There is an annual pass available for $ 25.00 , or a daily fee of $ 5.00 for trail access. The weekend entry fee of $ 1.50 is still applicable too. The pass is valid for all Broward parks!! It is a no brainer to get the annual pass. Some of the money generated will actually benefit the trails.
    The positive thing is that with the checkpoint at the gate, it will eliminate the idiots who shouldn't be on the trails. $ 25.00 is less than a set of grips, so it isn't all that bad. You can thank the morons for filing frivolous lawsuits against the park system for the county to want to recoup some $$...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    :/ i dont like that, liked the fact that we didnt have to pay for the trails but I guess I will get over it.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Markham and QW will as of April 1st. start to charge a fee to ride the trails. There is an annual pass available for $ 25.00 , or a daily fee of $ 5.00 for trail access. The weekend entry fee of $ 1.50 is still applicable too. The pass is valid for all Broward parks!! It is a no brainer to get the annual pass. Some of the money generated will actually benefit the trails.
    The positive thing is that with the checkpoint at the gate, it will eliminate the idiots who shouldn't be on the trails. $ 25.00 is less than a set of grips, so it isn't all that bad. You can thank the morons for filing frivolous lawsuits against the park system for the county to want to recoup some $$...
    Unreal. I knew this was coming. The same thing happen in the Ga. state parks last year. Entrance fee and separate trail fee. I think it BS. And if it gonna help solve the liability issue, how about building some dirt jumps to go along with the pump track.

^ ^^ There is a lot of resistance to this user fee..aka TAX, but there are a few pro's too.
    This fee will see some returns for us in Markham, as in a Pavilion and a real bathroom in place of the lab experiment currently serving as such...
    The park manager is an avid rider and has funded equipment rentals and materials for the trails too, so that has helped out quite a bit for us volunteers and the trails.

Right now, there is a person on duty turning away riders who have no pass. It has been mandatory for quite a few years to have a pass, which meant you had to watch the video and sign the waivers, and there are signs at the (main) gate stating this. For the those who don't comprehend this...tough sh^t.

I don't agree with yet another tax either, but there is not much we can do as the county could just also close the place up, thus eliminating the frivolous lawsuits like those that have happened in the past.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    C'mon $25 for a year is a bargain......it costs $5+ every time you go into Virginia Key

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    C'mon $25 for a year is a bargain......it costs $5+ every time you go into Virginia Key
    I agree and one reason I've never been to Virgina Key. $25 is fine as long as the money goes back to the trails. I'll get the pass and ride. As an example though, I don't go to Ft Yargo any more, even though it the closest to my parents in GA. I'm not paying $5-8 dollars to ride a trail when there are others near by that are free. If I lived there that would be a different story. They have the same annual fee. My point being you might be locking out people who would try MTBing or come from other areas and what about a family that wants to give it a shot. And I understand the liability issue. I had a DJ/BMX track in my yard my yard for 5 years before an 11y/o parents decided to sued me for a broken ankle. It gave kids a place to hang out, dig, and have fun. I just thing the individual fee is a little high for those wanting to try the sport and is gonna be a shock to others coming in from out of town. Markham has the best all around trail in S.Fl. I hope the money works it was back to the trails.
    Last edited by OffCamber; 03-22-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Markham Park Info

I hope this will be strictly monitored and enforced throughout the open hours of the park...

I'll be pretty pissed if I play the responsible one and get my pass just to see knuckleheads out there without their cards and helmets riding around for free....

Again, thanks for the trail work... I love Markham!!!

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

I have only been to Markham once (May 2012) as I don't get down there very often. The one time I did get down there and hit it almost all the trails were closed due to being under water. I am considering heading down there this weekend before the new policy goes into effect on April 1st. I don't have an issue with the price except that there are 5 Peoria in my family that ride so while $25 doesn't seem like alot with 5 people that means I would have to drop $125 just to get in the gate and with only getting down there once or twice a year or so it will make more sense to pay the $5 per person when we go. I hope has more trails open when I go this time.

Can everyone tell me what they're favorite part of Markham is and why, post photo if possible.

Bustermin, I see your dilemma and perhaps there should be a family plan in place. I will email the park manager and ask him about it. At the moment ALL trails are open too.
    My personal favorite trail is Alligator Ally and Rte 66. I also like Outback and Armadillo trails. To me the whole system works well and yes I am biased I know...

FWIW, I understand is that there will be someone on duty 7 days a week from here on keeping the usual idiots out..

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Bustermin, I see your dilemma and perhaps there should be a family plan in place. I will email the park manager and ask him about it. At the moment ALL trails are open too.
    My personal favorite trail is Alligator Ally and Rte 66. I also like Outback and Armadillo trails. To me the whole system works well and yes I am biased I know...

FWIW, I understand is that there will be someone on duty 7 days a week from here on keeping the usual idiots out..
    Don't get me wrong I am not opposed to the fee as it can only help improve the trails county wide as well as possibly fund the creation of future trails.

I understand but perhaps the county should have taken into account multiple users in one family...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

This is a direct quote from the park manager in regards to my question about the fee's for family's

"Yes, we will be assisting the families of 4 or more. We will charge the parents and not the children. However, if the parents do not ride then we will only charge the children. It should never exceed $75."

I hope this helps....

mtbr member
    My wife and I are going on vacation next week in south Florida. We are thinking about giving Markham a rip, so my question for you guys is, can we rent some real mtb bikes around there? My wife is 5'3" and we currently ride custom built Specialized Pitch Pro and Myka fsr. So what are our options for around there?

Thanks

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast