Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

This coming Sunday it is TM day at Markham and since the trails are in great shape and only need a few minor tweaks, the focus will be on garbage removal and air potato removal too. The latter is important as these invasive strangler vines will kill off out shade if left alone...
    It is also Superbowl Sunday and the clan will be done by noon. If you want to lend a hand, just meet up at the trailhead at 8:30 AM on Sunday....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Tomorrow I will be helping out a fellow trail builder building a new feature that will go into an all new skills area near the pump track. If time permits he and I will also add about 150 ft of trail in the Alligator Alley area in the "one more time" section.. We spotted this possibility this AM and can do this build in about 2 hours. I am excited as Sunday I won't make TM day but can do a quickie trail addition to a very exciting area that will see some major work in March if the stars are all aligned.... Stay tuned...
    Last edited by OscarW; 02-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Might be in the market for some new wheels 26", I want light but still strong enough to take a jump or drop. Nothing crazy just what markham not the free ride section and central and south Florida have to offer. I weight anywhere from 200-210 and I have the stock dt Swiss 420s. What Easton, mavic I don't know wheels really so I need help.
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

I have Mavic's and after 4500 miles in Markham I can say I'd buy them again.. Being 200# myself they have held up very well...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    I have Mavic's and after 4500 miles in Markham I can say I'd buy them again.. Being 200# myself they have held up very well...
    will look into that company right now actually any certain model I should look at more then others..or just look at them all and find my style and $$ range rim.
    2011 Trek 4300....

I use the Crossmax SLR's. They are $$$ but deals can be had, specially on last years models.
    The new ones have a 4 pawl engagement in the rear hub and that is about it for new vs old.
    Go with what best fits your riding style and wallet...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cycle | Run | Swim | Wiggle Tri-Sports & Bike Shop

Check this site and look up Hope wheelsets. You get some options in rims for about $400 bucks shipped. Hope makes great stuff and the hubs convert to any wheel. You can even get the strait pull for a few dollars more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Cycle | Run | Swim | Wiggle Tri-Sports & Bike Shop

Check this site and look up Hope wheelsets. You get some options in rims for about $400 bucks shipped. Hope makes great stuff and the hubs convert to any wheel. You can even get the strait pull for a few dollars more.
    Ok thanks everyone
    2011 Trek 4300....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The trail is in awesome condition guys. My one peeve is the big climb in gunrange with the horrible traction at the top. I get to the top, but flop the transition down. I wasn't riding much in the past after a big crash 1.5 years ago after (nasty drop in OBX). I rode here and there but my heart wasn't it (the nerves sure were). I recently started to get back into the sport and a new bike plus the condition of the trails has seen my passion return. I really want to get out there and help with trail repair. I did a few in the past (not as much as I should since I live right across the st). I rode oleta on Sat. and the trail conditions are horrible and poorly marked. makes me really appreciate Markham and wanting to help out.

I think some no skidding signs are needed as well. I don't know if it will stop skidders, but it could help raise awareness.

I'll be at the next TM, please let me know if there is anything between then.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

Thanks man! Take your time getting back in the sport. Many things have improved and we are striving to keep the park tough but safe like the new OBX...
    I didn't ride Gunrange this AM, but I understand some work was done there yesterday. I was at work and couldn't make TM day. Over the past 6 months a lot of work has been done and more is on the way. The no skidding sign is a good idea, but since most peeps don't read or see signs anyway I doubt it will work. We are thinking of putting some free riding clinics together for the noobs and braking would be one topic.
    We always do TM on the first Sunday of every month and some "stealth" work is done somewhat out of the public eye by the TM core crew. We do post up on FB as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have been riding markham for many years and I ask that you take my comments as constructive criticism. First off, as I have previously posted I appreciate all the work that the volunteers put into keeping the trails maintained and in great shape. The constant addition of new trails allows me to ride once or twice a week and never get bored of the park. I have been riding markham park since 2000.

Over the last year or so, maybe longer, the trail maintenance has incorporated white rock (road rock) into the trails. While is see the maintenance advantage of this (Compacts well, does not get washed out or undermined in rain, less maintenance) there are also some disadvantages with the continued use of this road rock.

The disadvantages are subjective and only my opinion but I thought I would voice my opinion to see if there are others that have the same concerns.

My opinion of the road rock is that it’s making the park too easy to ride. This has the following adverse effects: more novice riders thinking they can ride markham and putting themselves and others in dangerous situations. Markham was knows as a difficult park and a park that novice riders should not attempt until they have conquered Oleta, Amelia or Quitewaters (many years past). There are no longer difficult sections in the trails. There are no longer unknowns caused by nature/rain that made the park fun. The other issue I have with the addition of the road rock is that it’s taking the uncertainty of the trails away. Mountain bike trails are meant to be off road and differing conditions adds a level of difficulty matched by no other……….many times I feel like I am riding on asphalt.

Again this is just my opinion, I understand the use of the white rock but I suggest that it only be used in certain areas. I feel that its slowly being installed on every trail and taking the difficulty of the trails with it. Lastly, I want to thank all the volunteers for keeping markham a great place to ride and hope you take my suggestion to “use less” of the white rock into consideration. I will continue to ride markham as its still the best park in the tri-county area.

Thanks,
    Simon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by papsmagu View Post
    I have been riding markham for many years and I ask that you take my comments as constructive criticism. First off, as I have previously posted I appreciate all the work that the volunteers put into keeping the trails maintained and in great shape. The constant addition of new trails allows me to ride once or twice a week and never get bored of the park. I have been riding markham park since 2000.

Over the last year or so, maybe longer, the trail maintenance has incorporated white rock (road rock) into the trails. While is see the maintenance advantage of this (Compacts well, does not get washed out or undermined in rain, less maintenance) there are also some disadvantages with the continued use of this road rock.

The disadvantages are subjective and only my opinion but I thought I would voice my opinion to see if there are others that have the same concerns.

My opinion of the road rock is that it’s making the park too easy to ride. This has the following adverse effects: more novice riders thinking they can ride markham and putting themselves and others in dangerous situations. Markham was knows as a difficult park and a park that novice riders should not attempt until they have conquered Oleta, Amelia or Quitewaters (many years past). There are no longer difficult sections in the trails. There are no longer unknowns caused by nature/rain that made the park fun. The other issue I have with the addition of the road rock is that it’s taking the uncertainty of the trails away. Mountain bike trails are meant to be off road and differing conditions adds a level of difficulty matched by no other……….many times I feel like I am riding on asphalt.

Again this is just my opinion, I understand the use of the white rock but I suggest that it only be used in certain areas. I feel that its slowly being installed on every trail and taking the difficulty of the trails with it. Lastly, I want to thank all the volunteers for keeping markham a great place to ride and hope you take my suggestion to “use less” of the white rock into consideration. I will continue to ride markham as its still the best park in the tri-county area.

Thanks,
    Simon
    Its a catch 22 and goes back to my comments about skidders. Ive seen some fairly newly repaired sections sections turn to garbage because of skidding. But I see your point about dumbing down the trails as well. I can say that while not as difficult as before Markham had zero flow which a lot of the recent trail building has sorted out nicely.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

While I see the point of perhaps too much lime-rock in the repairs, it is the ONLY material that holds up. Carpet has been suggested as an alternative to combat erosion, but if you like that I suggest a visit to Amelia. We have pavers in stock as we rather ride concrete/stone than multicolored nylon even if it is buried. That material has it's drawback's too, and the peeps in Amelia have done a great job working out the issues, but it is not for Markham.

The idea behind all the work we have done so far, is repair the worst spots first and than restore all the lost elevation in all the trails. This is a multi year operation and believe it or not we are planning about 2 years ahead with some projects.
    If you see yourself riding in between two walls of dirt, it means that the trail used to be higher-up on that spot. The roots that are popping up, only means that dirt has washed away by rain and all the riders. They are now perceived as part of the trail and a feature, when in essence they weren't there when the trail was first developed.

Then there are the skidders, who have no control of their bike and brake at every turn, every down hill and everywhere in between when they are about to lose control.
    Riding within your skill level is posted on several signs at the gate and promptly ignored by most. Then there are the litterbugs giving us even more to do, like I was born to clean up other peoples crap of the trails...
    We do feel we have become a victim of our own success by doing so much work. Yes, the flow is back but we are planning on throwning a few curveballs in the trails in the upcoming months to restore the fear factor. The only thing we have to keep in mind that we are bound by the county safety officer, as safety has a priority in regards to liability. We live in a nanny era where everybody is a 'winner', 'special' and not responsible for their own stupidity. All we can do is add more features and plug away. It will all come together at some point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Can't wait to see it going in the next 2-3 weeks. Already have that in the making. I think that's going to be the first trail ride on my new bike . And OscarW everything works itself out unfourtunately stupidity runs wild now-a-days.

Markham Park Info

Sfb12 I know all will work out and the compliments are streaming in at the front office... Enjoy your new bike and the trails!!

rubber side down
    If time permits he and I will also add about 150 ft of trail in the Alligator Alley area in the "one more time" section.. We spotted this possibility this AM and can do this build in about 2 hours. I am excited as Sunday I won't make TM day but can do a quickie trail addition to a very exciting area that will see some major work in March if the stars are all aligned.... Stay tuned...
    Dude, the new section is KILLER! Rode Saturday with my son. really like what you all did in there. Thanks!

rubber side down
    restore the fear factor.

Nice! I took a break from Markham and when I went back I was surprised by all the new "fixed" areas....don't get me wrong, I love it, but the "expert" sections aren't really "expert" anymore.

I had little to do with the new part in Black Snake actually, but knew about the build. I was still recovering from the previous trail-work with over 150 hours of work in them..

There is some stuff still left that is gnarly and won't get touched. The idea is to restore the lost elevations first and than add features to them. A log-over on a climb is one thing we can do to make it more expert. There are options but we also need to keep it safe while making it tough. No easy task but we will get to it. We are also scouting virgin areas for some really expert trails and things are looking good.

I have proposed a few very cool things that are in essence approved by the park manager, but we need $$$ to build them. We hope for a big turn out of people when we run our annual Markham 100 race to fund trail work.

rubber side down
    I'd like to come out with my son for some trail work, I think it would be great for him to 'give back' and learn about proper trail maintenance.
    Oscar, how do you have all this time for trail work? Off season for fishing?

Markham Park Info

Yeah I have a seasonal job and right now I won't be out there as much till the summer. I am getting booked up well again and tarpon season is near with people getting the "fever" for them...
    Any help you and you kid can lend is much appreciated and you will find that you see some of the stupid sh*t people try to pull off. This gives you a different perspective LOL

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Amtb

AMTB is coming to Markham Park! What is AMTB you may ask? It is Adaptive Mountain Biking. With the amount of disabled athletes and wounded vets taking more interest in mountain biking, Markham Park trail building fund is getting together with a few athletes who get around on special mountain bikes and together in the next few weeks we will adapt a few trails to the use of these bikes and their riders. We aren't going to change any of the trails that are more 'hardcore' as these guys don't want / need that, but we will add more trail to the Fat Tire trails and convert a few green trails such as Fishinghole loop, Warmup loop, Traverse and a small part of Rte 66.

These guys / gals are true athletes and will give anyone a run for their money on the same trails! They don't want pity or special treatment but like to ride as much as, and with, their two wheeled friends.
    My trail build friends and I had been scouting around and we came up with close to 4.5 miles of trial for this purpose. We will need to cut some new trail as well.
    All this will also benefit the new riders who can SHARE these same trails. In the case of the parts of existing trail we will have extra exits in order to promote flow and not to have to rebuild all of them.

We will introduce a new sign for these designated trails and we believe we are the first ones in the country to do so... see attachment.
    Adaptive Trail Sign-1.pdf
    All this is generating a lot of buzz even in the media. We hope that the Markham 100 race Fundraising Benefit Races - Markham Park Trail Building Fund will be successful in raising much needed funds to make it all happen sooner than later.
    Also the new skills area is getting closer to become reality. We recently built a teeter totter and are planning a few more things to get that off the ground as well.

Remember that the first Sunday in March is trail maintenance day and we can get a lot done if enough peeps show up.

Stay tuned!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    AMTB is coming to Markham Park! What is AMTB you may ask? It is Adaptive Mountain Biking. With the amount of disabled athletes and wounded vets taking more interest in mountain biking, Markham Park trail building fund is getting together with a few athletes who get around on special mountain bikes and together in the next few weeks we will adapt a few trails to the use of these bikes and their riders. We aren't going to change any of the trails that are more 'hardcore' as these guys don't want / need that, but we will add more trail to the Fat Tire trails and convert a few green trails such as Fishinghole loop, Warmup loop, Traverse and a small part of Rte 66.

These guys / gals are true athletes and will give anyone a run for their money on the same trails! They don't want pity or special treatment but like to ride as much as, and with, their two wheeled friends.
    My trail build friends and I had been scouting around and we came up with close to 4.5 miles of trial for this purpose. We will need to cut some new trail as well.
    All this will also benefit the new riders who can SHARE these same trails. In the case of the parts of existing trail we will have extra exits in order to promote flow and not to have to rebuild all of them.

We will introduce a new sign for these designated trails and we believe we are the first ones in the country to do so... see attachment.
    Adaptive Trail Sign-1.pdf
    All this is generating a lot of buzz even in the media. We hope that the Markham 100 race Fundraising Benefit Races - Markham Park Trail Building Fund will be successful in raising much needed funds to make it all happen sooner than later.
    Also the new skills area is getting closer to become reality. We recently built a teeter totter and are planning a few more things to get that off the ground as well.

Remember that the first Sunday in March is trail maintenance day and we can get a lot done if enough peeps show up.

Stay tuned!
    This is great to hear I hope more parks get into that idea.

Good job!

Next week we are meeting with a few riders who will inform us of their abilities and the bike's capabilities and the type of trail they like to ride. We are also getting bike dimensional measurements making our job a bit easier to build the trail. I.E we don't want to build a hump that would high center a long wheel based bike. We are exited to help in any way we can and provide a challenging trail that is also rideable by novice riders. We hope to get this project of the ground ASAP and also hope our race in March brings in much needed funding too.

More parks are going this way and Amelia has done some work in that area too. We are taking a little different route by getting the Wounded Warriors on board as well. This project is exciting in that we can give back to those who otherwise would be left out of a sport that brings a lot of camaraderie among the participants. The way we, preliminary, have laid out the trail makes it run parallel to the trails the 2 wheeled bikes ride, so that all riders can meet up at the end of each trail making for more of a group ride. A lot of the AMTB peeps do have friends riding with them who are on 2 wheels. Inclusion is the name of the game here.

Stay tuned!

rubber side down
    Rode Markham Saturday....trails were in great shape, super grippy due to the rain. Hit Oleta Sunday....decent, but their doing a Spartan Race there this weekend so avoid it.

My son was WAY faster at Oleta since we've been riding Markham more....Markham is the best. Looking forward to hitting Amelia soon too.

What do you Markham "regulars" look like? Would be cool to meet up and ride!

Glad you're liking the trails and the rain was a huge help! It was fast and tacky for me too. I tend to ride early AM weekdays. I ride in roadie gear like most of the regulars..

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast