Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Markham Park Info

91K views 746 replies 85 participants last post by  475856 
#1 ·
I am planning on heading down to Ft. Lauderdale this weekend and was thinking of trying out the trail at Markham Park. I heard that the trail may be underwater due to the recent rains, is this true? Should I wait for another time to go for my first time, if so is there another park nearby I can hit while I'm down there? Thanks

#500 ·
There were 6 other guys besides myself and we had a good time at it. With the power tools it was not too bad. Amazing how fast all that stuff grows back as about a month ago one of the patrollers had cut back 80% of the trail. The skinny bridge at the end has a bypass cut out as the bridge itself is weak and has missing/broken boards. I also head that Pipeline in Area 51 is closed due to structural issues, but I am not sure. I am out of town, so I have no first hand account.

#501 ·
Update! Sunday 10-27-13 the trails will be closed for the FSC race till late afternoon. Please don't bother coming in if you are not racing. It will be heavily patrolled... On Saturday you can ride the race course only!! Please respect the tape as it is a major PITA to set it all up.

#502 ·
on saturday...will all the trails be closed all day except race course? or...will they be out setting up the course during the day and at some point trails will close? also, the do you know what/where the course will be and what skill level will be required to ride it?

saturday am is my usual ride, but, i'm a novice and wouldn't want to get on a race course that went through some advanced/expert areas that i cant handle...yet

#507 ·
So it looks like my son wants to race on Sunday. He is 12 y/o. We're both stoked! Will we be able to ride the actual course he'll be racing on Saturday? Friday?

Since this his first, would he enter the "XC-J" (10-14?)...guess so since that is the only one with his age range...

Should be a fun time!~

#513 ·
The race was a big success and the trails are still in great shape considering the traffic we had. The race course had to be taken down as per county directive as there were trails in reverse and we have too many people who, sadly, can't follow the rules as… We only had to ask 3 people to leave the trails during the race but they left without issue. One of our patrollers is a BSO officer……;)

#519 ·
Thanks for the info....after looking at the registration form again, I should have entered him in the XC-4 class. Main reason I did not is because they didn't have any age listed...(should have said (all ages). That group only had to do one loop, plus I could have raced with him....which we may do for the next race. I'll just have to call to confirm.

#521 · (Edited)
All should be ok this weekend AFAIK but likely will use the WEST GATE by GunRange to get in. There is the Jamaican Jerk festival on November 10 though and the trails will be CLOSED that day… The vendors use the 8th street gate and make a left past the pump track through the main gate to get in…. The only peeps that can enter are the MTB patrollers at that time. NO exceptions!

#527 ·
You're welcome! It was a nightmare last year and we posted this closure up on FB as well. We will be doing some work in the trails but that is about it. Only patrollers riding a bike will have a shot at getting in with all the people around. The gates will be locked so anyone caught in the trails will put to work..LOL!

#535 ·
^Yeah I guess so.

Today we had a fundraiser race and it was awesome! There were 75 racers, nobody actually was too serious and we all had a great time, good food and beer and raised some $$ for cancer research and the trails!!
Its too bad they scheduled it on the day of a FSC/CC race... they easily could have doubled the turnout otherwise.

#539 ·
November 30, 2013 - Markham Park: Meteorologist "predicted" 0% precipitation and fairly warm weather (~80 F) but received wet, muddy, 67 F (cool for So. Fl.) and still had a blast! Specialized MTB Bikes were being showcased that day and one guy was taken out on an ambulance for underestimating slippery drops (hope he gets better, looked like a broken collar bone):

P.S.: Sorry for the double picture, I am unable to remove them after having them uploaded.

Attachments

#541 ·
Note to self: I need to ride earlier!

I have just arrived to the trails when the rain started pouring buckets. I had no other choice but to ride it out since I have taken my bike in worse conditions.

#542 ·
To the scumbag that stole the Echo chainsaw near Rt.66/Washing Machine last Sunday, pray to whatever deity you like that we won't find out who you are…. :madmax:
This was the second chainsaw stolen from the trail crew and we are obviously pissed about this and are rethinking on how to do trail work in the future. We have had generous donations from many great people but this sh^t has to stop. Just thought I'd vent here..

#543 ·
To the scumbag that stole the Echo chainsaw near Rt.66/Washing Machine last Sunday, pray to whatever deity you like that we won't find out who you are…. :madmax:
This was the second chainsaw stolen from the trail crew and we are obviously pissed about this and are rethinking on how to do trail work in the future. We have had generous donations from many great people but this sh^t has to stop. Just thought I'd vent here..
That has to be a very low level life form and desperate/hungry enough to pull something like that. What I find odd is that usually only "registered" bikers ride the trails and it should be very obvious that any biker riding out with a chainsaw out of any of the gates into their car. This was most likely someone or group that is tracking you guys each first Sunday of the month to make this stupid stunt. Sorry for the loss, hopefully there was some biker that saw this activity going on and could help report it to the authorities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.