Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    That depends on how much we need to get done and how fast that happens but generally around 4 to 6 hours, although some of us stay until the job is done....
    Even if you put an hour or 2,3 in, that is fine too and much appreciated, as it isn't a chain-gang we're running here,,
    Although some days I wish....
    Sounds good Oscar.
    In case volunteers arrive later, is there a way to join up ?

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Sounds good Oscar.
    In case volunteers arrive later, is there a way to join up ?
    Just go in and ride around until you find a work party and pitch in if you like. Some volunteers ride their bikes for an early lap and than help out. You can leave your bike close to where the work is being done so you don't have to worry about your bike.
    We may ask a few peeps to do some "less important" things like pick up trash from the trails..Some folks seem to think that this isn't part of TM but in reality, a little bit of trash becomes more trash. On Monday, I ran the ATV around to empty the garbage cans and yesterday I also filled in a hole, just to illustrate what is going on work wise...

Hope to see you Sunday.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just go in and ride around until you find a work party and pitch in if you like. Some volunteers ride their bikes for an early lap and than help out. You can leave your bike close to where the work is being done so you don't have to worry about your bike.
    We may ask a few peeps to do some "less important" things like pick up trash from the trails..Some folks seem to think that this isn't part of TM but in reality, a little bit of trash becomes more trash. On Monday, I ran the ATV around to empty the garbage cans and yesterday I also filled in a hole, just to illustrate what is going on work wise...

Hope to see you Sunday.
    Perfect, I will see you then.
    A clean trail is definitely something I appreciate/enjoy !

Good job!

Thank you all for coming out and volunteering today . A lot of things were done and it will make the trails even better than they are!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You guys are amazing. I was out there for about two hours and you guys were going for the entire day. Looking forward to the next maintenance day.

Richard, Jeff and I didn't leave until 3PM while most peeps were done around 1 PM......As you may have heard Richard and I are the ones who built 99% of Outback Extension, all 6 berms in Armadillo etc...
    We have been told by many to take a break and I am for now....Thanks for coming out and lending a hand. How much time you spend there on TM is not as important as just showing up and do what you can. Every little bit helps a lot!

mtbr member
    just wondering what psi everyone is running at markham park on 26er bikes and the rider is around 205... I run high 20's front and rear, just wondering if im pushing my luck with pinch flats?
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

On tubeless that is cutting it close anywhere really. I ride tubeless in the high 20's as I am 210# myself. With tubes I would consider around 30 psi as a minimum. It is a fine line between grip, speed and a pinch flat..I run the rear tire at a higher pressure than the front for the speed/grip factor. If you ride the right lines and avoid impacts from roots and rocks by riding 'light' and lifting the wheels up and over these obstacles you should be fine, relatively speaking.

There is some trail building going on this weekend, but it should not affect any trails. We are adding about a 1/4 mile of trail to Black Snake and are creating a nice bypass to the wood features after Pipeline. The 2 existing wood bridges after Pipeline are going to get removed later on. We are also going to pick up as many potato's from the Air Potato plants as they are a threat to the existing vegetation.

mtbr member
    There is some trail building going on this weekend, but it should not affect any trails. We are adding about a 1/4 mile of trail to Black Snake and are creating a nice bypass to the wood features after Pipeline. The 2 existing wood bridges after Pipeline are going to get removed later on. We are also going to pick up as many potato's from the Air Potato plants as they are a threat to the existing vegetation.

good job guys...wish I still lived there I would help you guys out, I should be back down there to live in about 11months cant wait.
    2011 Trek 4300....

mtbr member
    On tubeless that is cutting it close anywhere really. I ride tubeless in the high 20's as I am 210# myself. With tubes I would consider around 30 psi as a minimum. It is a fine line between grip, speed and a pinch flat..I run the rear tire at a higher pressure than the front for the speed/grip factor. If you ride the right lines and avoid impacts from roots and rocks by riding 'light' and lifting the wheels up and over these obstacles you should be fine, relatively speaking.
    I rarely get flats I was just wondering what everyone rides at, I feel my front tire grips really good at like 28psi with tubes. anything higher i feel it sliding out around turns
    2011 Trek 4300....

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 11trk4300 View Post
    good job guys...wish I still lived there I would help you guys out, I should be back down there to live in about 11months cant wait.
    Thanks..
    We ended up not being able to work on the second bypass after Pipeline because the new trail in Black Snake took longer than expected. The new addition is 2/10th of a mile long and is a nice challenging ride. It is not open yet pending county approval which could come as early as next week...

Quote Originally Posted by 11trk4300 View Post
    I rarely get flats I was just wondering what everyone rides at, I feel my front tire grips really good at like 28psi with tubes. anything higher i feel it sliding out around turns
    TP depends on body weight, riding style and trail conditions. In general terms you can ride with a lower pressure in the front vs the rear tire and a more knobby front that rear tire as well. The front needs to be grippier than the rear and a lower pressure in combination with a more aggressive tread can do that. I ride 23-25 PSI front and 28-30 in the back and am 210 # and ride on a HighRoller front and CrossMark rear. YMMV..

mtbr member
    TP depends on body weight, riding style and trail conditions. In general terms you can ride with a lower pressure in the front vs the rear tire and a more knobby front that rear tire as well. The front needs to be grippier than the rear and a lower pressure in combination with a more aggressive tread can do that. I ride 23-25 PSI front and 28-30 in the back and am 210 # and ride on a HighRoller front and CrossMark rear. YMMV..
    I run the same exact tire setup as you do... Are you tubless?
    2011 Trek 4300....

Yes I am running tubeless too.

This weekend we opened up a new section in Alligator Alley and it is an amazing extension to the Black Snake section which is now almost a 1/4 mile longer...

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    I'll be there tomorrow... Lookin forward to trying it out!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    OscarW do you guys work on the trail every weekend. Or whats the schedule? I may be interested in helping you guys out.

Hi SFB, We actually schedule the first Sunday of every month as the official trail maintenance day.
    However there has been extra curricular work done outside that day as some of us are used to working a certain way and get things done faster.
    This is not meant as a negative toward the volunteers, but a few of us have done 3 major trail rebuilds in short order while nobody wanted to help with that until it was almost all done.....

The new addition in Alligator Alley was done with the help of Alex Pro bike shop as all his sponsored racers have to put in time at Markham.
    This is why the new section was done so quickly after a few peeps had laid out the new trail as there were about 20 volunteers last week Sunday.

Sunday Feb 3 is the next trail maintenance day and we sure can use some peeps to help clean up the place too.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Sunday Feb 3 is the next trail maintenance day and we sure can use some peeps to help clean up the place too.
    I would be there if I could, but it seems you always schedule TM on a day I'm busy. . But seriously, I'll try to make it for the next one. That weekend is when I'm going to Santos

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I always say if you can't make the maintenance for what ever reason. The "Donation" button can be just as helpful.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by reedfe View Post
    I would be there if I could, but it seems you always schedule TM on a day I'm busy. . But seriously, I'll try to make it for the next one. That weekend is when I'm going to Santos
    No problem! There is always a new time and this coming TM day I am working and won't make it either...
    I wish I was going to Santos too as it is one of my favorite trails to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not to derail the current thread about trail maintenance or tire inflation numbers but a re-ocurring issue keeps happening and needs to be addressed openly and since more people seem to check in here, i figured I'd post it here. First, let me start by saying this is my first post however I have been riding for several years and visit this forum frequently,I Just don't comment much but enjoy the experience of all who post.. I feel it's unfortunate that I have to go into detail about the issue but if I don't someone is going to get hurt.

Last week I was riding, as I do every Mon, Wed., Fri. not once but twice, was nearly hit by bikers coming off of two different trails, specifically the exit of the warm up loop right across from the warm up area in the front and the long trail exit coming out from route 66 where it exits at the big palm tree with the picnic table adjecent to the entrance of rock garden.

I hate to label anyone but these 3 guys were in typical road bike atire, riding wheel to wheel and exiting at least 20-25 mph into the open riding area that all of us traverse going to whichever trail we choose. For whatever reason they feel they need to exit a trail into an open area where other riders are staging, resting or riding slowly, at that speed is obsurd to say the least. We all know how horific the injuries are of the road bike riders on the road with motor vehicle crashes but think for a moment of hitting someone broadside coming off a trail that fast on a bike. The injuries could be just as bad, especially if it's a kid. It's just a matter of time before it happens and there is really no reason for it. Mountain biking has not ever been about speed and riding wheel to wheel
    (unless its a mountain bike race) as fast as you can go against time, it's more technical riding and building endurance. It has only happened now that the road bike riders are now riding mountain bikes and trying to bring the road ride to the trails which is only going to hurt someone and themselves.

Another issue is that from what I know as a rider approaching a slower rider that you intend to pass, is a verbal notification of your intentions and give the person a chance to move over. Again, the racers feel that if you don't stop.....litterly on the trail..... and let them pass so they can keep their pace, you are intentionally trying to hold them up. I can tell you that I am not stopping on a trail a foot in width with a 10-20 foot drop on both sides simply because it would be disasterous for all involved. Again common sense is key here and I know some might feel a little cocky with the new bikes that they got for christmas but if you've seen some of the injuries that people are removed from the park with, you would think twice about your riding habits, trust me.

I like to ride agressively where I can and am not implying that anyone should not do the same, but others are noticing and commenting on way some of these riders are getting out of hand and making it dangerous for everyone when someone is going slower in front of them or when exiting a trail. Just use common sense. If not when you leave the park after riding, drive across SR 84 at the entrance to markham without stopping and see what happens. Why would you do the same on the trails.

I really don't think Oscar needs to put a stop sign at every intersection of trail exits. A little common sense goes a long way.

Hi Scottspark, Welcome to the thread and I must say you make valid points in regard to the disregard some riders have toward others.

Common sense should prevail and that is a big problem as so many peeps seem to have so little. I will bring your concerns to the group of trail builders and see what and If there is something that can be done. I see it happen to me too and fortunately I can yell at them with impunity...

Just yesterday I tried to do the right thing by letting another rider know I was behind him and he didn't need to move out of the way as we were near the exit of Warm-up loop anyway. Unfortunately he did move over and fell in some brush, I felt bad but at the same time I guess he got nervous despite my best efforts to calmly tell him he was fine riding at his speed...Sometimes you just can't help it...

As an aside, I ride in roadie gear too btw..... It is more comfortable and has less tendency to get stuck on your seat or handlebars when moving around on your bike....

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottspark29 View Post
    Last week I was riding, as I do every Mon, Wed., Fri. not once but twice, was nearly hit by bikers coming off of two different trails, specifically the exit of the warm up loop right across from the warm up area in the front and the long trail exit coming out from route 66 where it exits at the big palm tree with the picnic table adjecent to the entrance of rock garden.

I hate to label anyone but these 3 guys were in typical road bike atire, riding wheel to wheel and exiting at least 20-25 mph into the open riding area that all of us traverse going to whichever trail we choose. For whatever reason they feel they need to exit a trail into an open area where other riders are staging, resting or riding slowly, at that speed is obsurd to say the least. We all know how horific the injuries are of the road bike riders on the road with motor vehicle crashes but think for a moment of hitting someone broadside coming off a trail that fast on a bike. The injuries could be just as bad, especially if it's a kid. It's just a matter of time before it happens and there is really no reason for it. Mountain biking has not ever been about speed and riding wheel to wheel
    (unless its a mountain bike race) as fast as you can go against time, it's more technical riding and building endurance. It has only happened now that the road bike riders are now riding mountain bikes and trying to bring the road ride to the trails which is only going to hurt someone and themselves.

Another issue is that from what I know as a rider approaching a slower rider that you intend to pass, is a verbal notification of your intentions and give the person a chance to move over. Again, the racers feel that if you don't stop.....litterly on the trail..... and let them pass so they can keep their pace, you are intentionally trying to hold them up. I can tell you that I am not stopping on a trail a foot in width with a 10-20 foot drop on both sides simply because it would be disasterous for all involved. Again common sense is key here and I know some might feel a little cocky with the new bikes that they got for christmas but if you've seen some of the injuries that people are removed from the park with, you would think twice about your riding habits, trust me.

I like to ride agressively where I can and am not implying that anyone should not do the same, but others are noticing and commenting on way some of these riders are getting out of hand and making it dangerous for everyone when someone is going slower in front of them or when exiting a trail. Just use common sense. If not when you leave the park after riding, drive across SR 84 at the entrance to markham without stopping and see what happens. Why would you do the same on the trails.

I really don't think Oscar needs to put a stop sign at every intersection of trail exits. A little common sense goes a long way.
    "STRAVA!" . But seriously, some people just don't think like the rest of us in terms of concern for others.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast