Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Can't wait til dec when I'm back in town for a week...

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    UpBack is finished and should open on Wednesday. The Soil-Tac has to dry out and we have a bit of rain delaying that process. We dumped 25 tons of fill in there and when you ride it, you will see why....
    The climb in will be steeper than before, but smoother and should keep you from spinning the rear tire.. The decent is crazy fast with a surprise in the middle for those who like to get big air.
    The exit is completely bermed all the way into the next trail....
    There will be a STOP sign installed on the bypass, as peeps will have the right-of-way coming out of UpBack. The exit speed will be too big to slow down... My advice is to ride it once slow to re-learn the trail before blasting off..

We started the repair on Outback Extension and dropped 50 Tons of fill on the old exit ramp where the holes used to be. The dozer almost went over the side in the process...
    The trail will have a major re-route whereby part of the wooden wall will be re-used too. This redo will take longer as it is the biggest project to date. OBX will also be the highest point in Markham!
    For pics see the Markham Park Mountain Bikers page on FB...
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by 11trk4300 View Post
    Can't wait til dec when I'm back in town for a week...
    Cool!!!

UpBack is OPEN!!
    It is fast so please ride with care as lines have changed. We also still need to install a STOP sign on the bypass as riders coming out of UpBack will have the right-of-way. Make your presence known when flying out of UpBack...!!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    ive been riding markham for a while and still don't know the name of most of the trails,i though the trail with the wall that has a nasty climb and even a worse drop was upback,grrrr love the job you guys are doing btw whats the name of that trail,one of my favorite part,tks
    Roy

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Ant View Post
    ive been riding markham for a while and still don't know the name of most of the trails,i though the trail with the wall that has a nasty climb and even a worse drop was upback,grrrr love the job you guys are doing btw whats the name of that trail,one of my favorite part,tks
    maybe you are thinking of that trail 'Outback Extension"...

Quote Originally Posted by MysticKJ View Post
    maybe you are thinking of that trail 'Outback Extension"...
    Yes that is OBX ..It too is under re-construction. The wall is being torn down this week and the nasty drop at the exit has been filled in completely as it will be re-routed... It will be awesome once done. Don't want to give away the "secret" yet... Just stay tuned or lend a hand on the first Sunday every month for trail-work....

Edit: We started to tear down that wall today and are 70% done in just a few hours..
    Last edited by OscarW; 11-21-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

For all the peeps riding Markham, the next trail maintenance day is going to be big as we are trying to finish the Outback Extension trail, repair the drop on Crime-scene a fix the climb on Twisted trail aka Ted's (the one with the steel cables in the beginning) and repair the exit of Rockgarden.

We will need about 15 people with strong backs to help with those projects. Those with less strong backs can still come out and help pick up all the garbage on the trails or do some much needed trimming of the vegetation unless of course you like being slapped in the face by branches...
    This week when the mood strikes me, I will make an effort to empty out all the garbage cans in the park. However, I can't run around to pick up all the tubes and bottles so graciously dropped off by our fellow riders all over the place.

If you like what you see as far as the trails are concerned, think about lending a hand and help out the 2-3 people that have done almost all of the work lately. Sooner or later we will stop doing this as we can't carry the 20.000+ registered riders who somehow never have time to spare an hour or two a month to help out.

... and if we just ...

The past 2 days the projects have gone well and hopefully tomorrow we can finish them and open ALL the trails. First time in a year everything will be rideable..

mtbr member
    The past 2 days the projects have gone well and hopefully tomorrow we can finish them and open ALL the trails. First time in a year everything will be rideable..
    nice ill be down there in december to test them out...
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 11trk4300 View Post
    nice ill be down there in december to test them out...

You'll like what we have done so far.

The only thing we didn't get done was Outback Extension as Ted's trail took 8 volunteers all day to repair. We moved at least 60 Tons of fill into that trail. Gone are the steel cables at the entrance and we built 4 new berms in there too and got rid of the rocks on the top by filling it all in. The climbs are still steep but the rewards going downhill are awesome.

We had a lot of people come out and help so we did 4 trails today and they are all done.
    Ted's, Iguana, Rockgarden and an outside the park trail for the 12 hour race in 2 weeks.
    Plenty of space for those who like to ride Markham in the dark BTW!!

12 Hours of Markham Mountain Bike Race

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just found this thread. I used to ride Markham 15 years ago. I hear it is very different today. I should have a mtb in the next month so will be back at Markahm soon since I am in Davie. I would be happy to volunteer to help out

Quote Originally Posted by mbakes View Post
    Just found this thread. I used to ride Markham 15 years ago. I hear it is very different today. I should have a mtb in the next month so will be back at Markahm soon since I am in Davie. I would be happy to volunteer to help out
    Cool.. You're more than welcome to join in the fun .
    I started riding Markham about 3 years ago to get back in shape and I have heard how the park was way back when. A lot has changed as lately we are really improving the trails to make them safer and fun. We still get people carted out by ambulance but way less so than in the past.

Yesterday, we were working on several trails simultaneously as we had a lot of people show up , which was greatly appreciated by the regular crew!!

Markham also has a FB page for more current info and updates btw...

Just a reminder that Markham will be CLOSED on Sunday due to the annual Toy-Run. There will be about 30.000 motorcycles dropping of toys and donating money for a great cause.

Ultimated Outsider
    Oscar

You guys have been doing good work, I been riding Markham on and off for almost 20 years and the trails look great. Just started riding again a few weeks ago and I can say the trail are defenetly better and funner.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
    Oscar

You guys have been doing good work, I been riding Markham on and off for almost 20 years and the trails look great. Just started riding again a few weeks ago and I can say the trail are defenetly better and funner.

I too want to thank you and all the volunteers that make markham the best park to ride. i have been riding markham since 2001 and you guys always keep it interesting by adding new trails and always changing things up. GREAT WORK!!!!!!

HUGE THANKS!

Thanks Guys!! There is more goodness on the way..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Upback is freaking awesome!!! It's easily my favorite section now. I noticed that after the jump but before the berms there's a spot where the trees are thin enough to cut back through onto the climb. It would be nice if you left that little bit of a clearing there. I was using it to walk back up to the top so I could session the jump a few times

Glad you like that part. It is my favorite part of that trail even if I say so myself.. We try to install several jumps/hucks like that all over the trails if possible. There is one like that in Armadillo too, just after the big drop and before the berm that turns you left. They are easy to build and people can ride and roll over them or, with some speed, get air.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cool.. You're more than welcome to join in the fun .
    I started riding Markham about 3 years ago to get back in shape and I have heard how the park was way back when. A lot has changed as lately we are really improving the trails to make them safer and fun. We still get people carted out by ambulance but way less so than in the past.

Yesterday, we were working on several trails simultaneously as we had a lot of people show up , which was greatly appreciated by the regular crew!!

Markham also has a FB page for more current info and updates btw...
    I do remember the ambulances showing up from time to time, fortunately, never for me. I just ordered my bike so I hope to make it out there in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mbakes View Post
    I do remember the ambulances showing up from time to time, fortunately, never for me. I just ordered my bike so I hope to make it out there in a couple of weeks.
    See you on the trail!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Ted's trail is Closed..

Ted's, aka Twisted trail, will be CLOSED till wednesday. We just built a new berm and the Soil-Tac needs to dry out. The bypass and second climb are open. Just PLEASE stay out of the closed part so the berm and trail can dry out. The Soil-tac will not com off your bike or your clothes either...Plenty of fools found out the hard way...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Some FYI's

First; Ted's trail is OPEN and it is a sweet ride up and down so watch your speeds.

Second; Outback Extension is almost done after 200+ man-hours and 150 tons of fill. It is still CLOSED however and won't open until sometime next week, we hope. Please stay out off this trail as it is dangerous to ride an incomplete trail.
    Also the trail will become a DOUBLE RED DIAMOND trail because the high speeds coming down the drop, which has 2 places to catch air. If you think a smooth trail in Markham will be easy, than this one will surprise everyone for sure...

Last and not least, Saturday the 15th, Markham will be CLOSED because of the 12 hour race.
    If you are interested to ride the race course you can do so on Friday ONLY, OR enter the race itself. NO race-day registration!!!! Check out this site..

mtbr member
    First; Ted's trail is OPEN and it is a sweet ride up and down so watch your speeds.

Second; Outback Extension is almost done after 200+ man-hours and 150 tons of fill. It is still CLOSED however and won't open until sometime next week, we hope. Please stay out off this trail as it is dangerous to ride an incomplete trail.
    Also the trail will become a DOUBLE RED DIAMOND trail because the high speeds coming down the drop, which has 2 places to catch air. If you think a smooth trail in Markham will be easy, than this one will surprise everyone for sure...

Last and not least, Saturday the 15th, Markham will be CLOSED because of the 12 hour race.
    If you are interested to ride the race course you can do so on Friday ONLY, OR enter the race itself. NO race-day registration!!!! Check out this site..
    So how long will the course be? someone mentioned 7.5 miles

Similar to the CC/FSC race?

I'm helping setting it all up tomorrow and think it is similar to the CC race but flatter since we like to see peeps do all 12 hours. I know tomorrow for sure as we may have to re-reroute a few parts because of the rain... I'll post it up here..

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Race course has been laid out! Please follow the arrows and don't ride through any tape!!
    The course is 7.5 miles long and has a few mild climbs such as Ted's trail and Upback.
    It is fairly mild on the count that you will ride it either 6 or 12 hours... Good luck and above all have fun!!!

Good job!

The 12 hour race at Markham was a great success! We had about 150 riders, food vendors, a movie and a lot of fun! The course was great and we only had a few minor mishaps..
    Biggest problem was to keep the usual idiots out of the trails...

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast