mtbr member

Manchester/Poinsette trail

I made it out there yesterday (took the day off work because I was worried about rain this weekend; I was right) and at first I didn't see the trail marker so I crossed the street from the trailhead and got on a trail there. I rode it for about an hour and it was kicking my butt, so eventually I saw an access road and got on it to work my way back.

Does anyone know what this trail is? It's not marked, other than some orange paint sprays on trees occasionally, and it's not on any of the trail maps. It looked like a bike trail because there were treads in the dirt and bark missing from trees about handlebar level. But as deep and dug out as some of the spots were, I'm wondering now if it was a dirtbike trail. That would be sweet, as I've been wanting to get back on a bike (used to race the AMA circuit back in the 80s) but didn't know of any local tracks.

Anyone know? And if anyone is out there and spots the bottom half of a green pants leg.... that's mine

I did find the marked trails, eventually, when I got back. I rode about half of Campbell's Pond, but by then it had been 2 hours and my legs were failing, so I got on another road and crept back to the car.

Fun stuff, though; can't wait to go back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceezer
    I made it out there yesterday (took the day off work because I was worried about rain this weekend; I was right) and at first I didn't see the trail marker so I crossed the street from the trailhead and got on a trail there. I rode it for about an hour and it was kicking my butt, so eventually I saw an access road and got on it to work my way back.

Does anyone know what this trail is? It's not marked, other than some orange paint sprays on trees occasionally, and it's not on any of the trail maps. It looked like a bike trail because there were treads in the dirt and bark missing from trees about handlebar level. But as deep and dug out as some of the spots were, I'm wondering now if it was a dirtbike trail. That would be sweet, as I've been wanting to get back on a bike (used to race the AMA circuit back in the 80s) but didn't know of any local tracks.

Anyone know? And if anyone is out there and spots the bottom half of a green pants leg.... that's mine

I did find the marked trails, eventually, when I got back. I rode about half of Campbell's Pond, but by then it had been 2 hours and my legs were failing, so I got on another road and crept back to the car.

Fun stuff, though; can't wait to go back.
    Yeah, some of the "trails" are fireroads, service roads and quasi-trails used for motobikes. I got sidetracked on one of them and my three hour ride turned into a five and half hour slog fest. Poinsette is great after a rain b/c it firms up the sandy parts and all the other sections have excellent drainage. The Harbison guys could learn a thing or two......

paintbucket
    They had a motorcycle enduro event out there a month or so ago that used some of the Killer 3 (that's the trail you're looking for) as part of its route. Sucked.

Also, K3 is best ridden in the rain otherwise its too sandy. In fact, I only ride it in the rain. Its probably one of the best rain trails you'll ever see.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    This was across the street from K3, though. It ran up along Millford Mill Road and crossed over Headquarters Road. It was a long, long, long trail. K3 runs the opposite direction.

The thing was, I couldn't get any kind of speed built up and the whole time I was wondering, "How do people do this?". It didn't dawn on me until a day or two later, that it may not have been a bike trail.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceezer
    This was across the street from K3, though. It ran up along Millford Mill Road and crossed over Headquarters Road. It was a long, long, long trail.
    Yah, that's the m/c enduro trail. I'm not sure how long it is, but for some reason 60 miles is stuck in my brain.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Not "you" personally, just "you" (somebody out there in the ether) all-encompassingly. You could get the boys from Shaw AFB to practice bombing runs to spice up the event...

mtbr member
    60 miles? Whoa, thats crazy! If they could smooth out some of the ruts maybe you could run an MTB enduro race?