mtbr member

Manasota key/Sarasota riding areas

I'll be on vacation with family next week at Manasota Key and want to get a good bit of riding in during the week, either MTB or road is fine, whichever suits the area best.

Are there any trail systems, or backroad areas that would be good riding? I may take one day and do a loop around lake okeechobee, but would like other rides to be closer to where we are staying. Within 45 minutes or so.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my g04ref using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    There's a short run along a canal in Northport, but I haven't been down there in several years and I'm not sure about the current condition or if it's even still open. The best riding in the area is north of where you'll be. Boyette preserve will be about 1-1/2 hours from where you're at and Alafia State Park is bout 20 minutes further. Both have a lot to offer, but Boyette has more miles. We've had 8 plus inches of rain over the last couple weeks, so some of the more technical trails may be closed due to flooding, though. If you have the time these are both worth making the trip up. The Swamp Club is responsible for both of these trail networks and their web site has a lot of info on these as well as other trail systems in the state. www.swampclub.org

mtbr member
    Thanks, I live about the same distance NORTH of the trails you mention so don't really want to drive up to those, though normally I'm at Santos.

I was hoping I could find some long rail to trails, or fireroad/limestone road type off road, just so I didn't have to ride actual roads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are all the gravel and grassy double track you can handle at carlton preserve right outside of Venice. If you do a search for piggy's revenge 2012, you should be able to get the route.

mtbr member

Re: Manasota key/Sarasota riding areas

Thanks Jonesy, that looks promising.

Sent from my Droid tablet using Tapatalk 2