SALLGUD

Lynches Wood/Killer 3 input

The wife and I are planning on heading out of town for some mountain biking this new year's weekend (Sun/Mon). She wants to go hit Lynches Wood and the Killer 3 (both in SC). When I checked the reviews on them, they were not very recent so I am looking for someone that has ridden them more recently to help me out.

Killer 3: Recent reviews make it seem that it has numerous trees down and is not in very good condition. Lack of trail maintenance.

Lynches Woods: Latest review is from 7/04 and made it seem it was going downhill due to a lack of maintenance.

If anyone has any input on either of these two trails it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Lynches Woods

Hi,

I rode Lynches Woods last week, it is in decent shape. The trails are covered with leaves, so it is a bit tricky seeing the single tracks in some parts, but not a real problem. Otherwise, trail is in great shape.

Where is the Killer three trail? Never heard of it.

If you are in the area, Issaqueena is in awesome shape. Not sure about Paris Mountain or Southside.

RT

SALLGUD
    Thanks RT. Sounds like a trip to Lynches Woods will happen.

Killer 3 is in the Manchester State Forest, pretty much south east of Columbia. It has come highly recommended by others in the past, but I was hoping to get some comments by those who have ridden it recently. Sounds like a nice trail!

The better half and I have ridden Isaqueena several times, and we also have ridden the LCHT. Although we tend to stay in the CSRA, we venture for a road trip every two - three months. Normally though we end up in northern GA or NC for a three day weekend...

Michael

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

No Problem...

Hey,

No Problem. If you are ever in the Pisgah area let me know, My wife and I are wanting to try out the trails there.

RT

mtbr member
    May 2005

K3 is in good shape

When there are trees down they are cleared quickly. Who ever keeps this trail up does a fantastic job, Thank you!. I'll going there on monday 01/02 now that deer season is over and it looks like it will be warm.

SALLGUD

Mtbr.com/Trails

If either of you is up to it, it would be helpful if you post an informative and current review in the Trails section of Mtbr.com. The wife and I do quite a bit of traveling for our mountain biking (anywhere from 1 - 4 hours from Augusta, GA) and we really depend on the reviews.

Thanks,
    Michael

P.S. We had also planned on hitting Lynches Woods today but those storms are hitting hard today!

mtbr member
    May 2005

K3

Was at K3 yesterday 1/15. I thought there would be alot of debris on the trails from the heavy storms we had the other day and the high winds on Saturday but aside from 2 or 3 old pine tress that fell there was hardly a twig on the trail. No mud either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Going to ride Lynches Woods Saturday, my first time there.. can anyone tell me if there are any hunting season restrictions for the trail since I am unfamiliar with it?

Thanks.

paintbucket
    Its city property I believe. I would be surprised if hunting is allowed at all.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just makin' sure! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Manchester State Forest is being maintained by a great couple guys at this point. The old reviews that you are reading are not correct.

The entire forest out there has some great riding.

Lynches woods I can't speak for. That place used to have some people that maintained it but I have not been out there in a while.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Two wheels are best
    Lynches is on County property and there is no hunting there. However, the county property lines (and the trails) are close to private property where there IS hunting.

As for trail maintenance, there was once some folks who kept Lynches well maintained. It does not appear that they are currently keeping up with it, however.

I've tried to make contact with someone who can authorize trail work up there with no success...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    I've tried to make contact with someone who can authorize trail work up there with no success...
    Have you asked Henry at Summit Cycles for contact info? He built the trail out there.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Have you asked Henry at Summit Cycles for contact info? He built the trail out there.
    Yep! He was the only person a I KNEW would have any information about the trails and who would be maintaining them.

I volunteered to head up a work day(s) up there...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.