mtbr member
    May 2008

Looking for trails on Space Coast

Looking for some trails on the Space coast of FL. I am staying near Sebastain inlet for a week and want to hit some trails. Cant find any. Please help and thanks

\m/{-_-}\m/
    There's not a lot of riding in that area that I know of. There is Graham Swamp in Palm Coast and Spruce Creek in New Smyrna Beach but they're prettty far north of Sebastion. You could also look into Santos in Ocala or Snow Hill around Orlando but those are still going to result in a fair amount of driving.

The Grapefruit trail is probably the closest to you and it's in Palm Bay. I've never been and I heard that they recently bulldozed a lot of it. I think ChiliPepper1 lives in the area. You could probably PM him.

ChiliPepper1
    Yep, I live only about ten minutes away from the GFT.

As I mentioned over on Singletracks.....

Hey jts140!

Well, not too many here on the space coast anymore. Our beloved GFT (Grapefruit Trail) in Palm Bay is going under serious cosmetic work presently. It was the hottest ticket for a real fun and very challenging trail at one point in time. The only other descent trails left are the Ho Chi Min (Turkey Creek MTB Trail) in Palm Bay and the Wickham Park Trails at Wickham Park in Melbourne. Please note that the Malabar Scrub Trails across Briar Creek Rd. from the exit of the Ho Chi Min are not associated with the Ho Chi Min (TC MTB Trail). All the other little trails are just back in the wood trails for the local kids. Nothing anything special or really worth it. We/some are in the middle on working on a couple FR (northshore type trails) though and re-building the GFT in due time.

Are you looking for XC or FR style riding? The GFT had a lot of small and big FR stuff, though there is some stuff left in the east section, but the other trails are pretty much all XC trails.

Anyways, I hope this helps. Happy trails there brother!
    As mentioned by Sun Burn, there is Spruce Creek, LBE (aka - Snowhill), and Soldiers Creek. Ft. Pierce, Carter Rd. (Loyce), Alafia, Balm Boyette, Graham Swamp, and Santos are the tip top of FL trails, but are much further away. Worth the trip by far though.

There is a small off-road trail at the Sebastien State Park, but it is really just a cruising type trail, nothing special at all. Plenty of urban beach riding though.

mtbr member
    Somewhat unrelated, but everytime I see people mention what I consider "home" I feel the need to post. Your in Palm Bay Chili? My wife and I were born and raised in Rockledge and Cocoa, fam is all still there. I haven't been home in a few years, but there is a chance that we are going for the holidays. So, this where the relevance to the thread comes in, I'd love to also hear where the trails are in Brevard County. Thanks in advance.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

ChiliPepper1
    Cool! Nah, I am in the next town over, Melbourne, but the two cities are so intertwined they might as well be all one. Actually, I should include W. Melbourne and Melbourne Village in that pot as well.

Well brother, the trails mentioned above are pretty much it. All the others are so insignificant or are just back wood thorough ways. Pretty much all the trails in Merritt Island and N. Brevard are all gone or just way overgrown. The best trails we had was the GFT, but mentioned above, it is undergone cosmetic damage. That was a hot ticket there. That trail was fast, flowy, and pretty damn technical. Give it like 6 months to a year and it will be back up and flowing better than ever. TC and Wickham are not bad at all and are fun no matter what. We do a lot of urban assault rides since 80% of the GFT was knocked down or go out of town to ride some technical trails.

Anyways, good to here some locals are still coming back from time to time. Been here too long and our family is one of the original settlers here in Eau Gallie area (Melbourne now).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1
    Been here too long and our family is one of the original settlers here in Eau Gallie area (Melbourne now).
    LOL! My Dad is the mayor of R-Ledge and has been for a long time now. I moved in '97.... don't get back as much as I want to. You know how life gets in the way.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    LOL! My Dad is the mayor of R-Ledge and has been for a long time now. I moved in '97.... don't get back as much as I want to. You know how life gets in the way.
    Small world bro, small world indeed. I personally do not know Larry Schultz, but I have met him a few times through our family friend Harry Goode, Mayor of Melbourne and a few Melbourne Council members we know. That's funny, we moved away in '97 as well, and moved back here in '01. Now we are ready to move for good. Asheville, NC area next year or '12 at very tops. This will always be home, but we need mountains and cooler weather....

Man I miss DH, though i do not miss the racing part anymore (age), but my son has progressed far and is ready for some serious gnarly fast and furious DH. He is a great FR though.

mtbr member
    No kidding. Sure is..... what is it, six degrees of separation at it's best.

We too are moving closer to that area in the next month, Greenville, SC. I am geeked just for the riding and water sport opportunities. I'll keep you posted on our holiday plans. All the best and good luck on your move.

ChiliPepper1
    Wow, talking about a small world again. I do a lot of DH'ing at Paris Mountain in the Greenville area, and also the Clemson area. My last DH race was at Paris Mountain. I did not make Clemson this year, but had a few friends race it for me though. No podium, but one made 7th. I guess once we move, we will be seeing each other on the trails up that way. Will be making a few trips to that area of SC. Its only like a drive from here to Orlando from the Asheville area where we are moving. Yeah, definitely keep in touch brother. Good to meet true locals (native Floridians). Wishing all the best to you and all yours!

mtbr member
    Will do, when you make it up there, shoot me a PM.