mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Looking for N GA trail advice

Greetings I am headed to ATL to see some friends and I was looking for some Trail advice. I hit the trail reviews but I haven't been able to get the info I wanted.

I am looking for Technical trails with fast tech downs and fun ups. I am willing to travel a fair distance from ATL to get there. I was looking at hitting the 96 olympic course but people I talk with say it's a killer on the ups and not on the downs. I am not looking for any FR stuff just fun fast tech downs. I also rode a trail in Woodstock that was a great XC loop but I can't remember it's name and was hoping for something a little more Tech. Any info I get would be great. I am planning on hitting some bike shops when I get to ATL and ask there too but I wanted to see if I could get some info before I arrived.

IJR
    I Just Ride
    Here's a few

East west loop at Ft Mountain is good (there are several other trails on this mountain)

Sumac creek is good but way out in the middle of nowhere closest town is Cisco

Mountaintown creek is probably the most technical but you have a 15 mile fireroad and or singletrack climb to get to it.

If you can get a whole day go to the pisgah national forest in NC. That's where the good tech stuff is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IJR
    If you can get a whole day go to the pisgah national forest in NC. That's where the good tech stuff is.

I have a 2nd home in Western NC I know Pisgah well.

I will have to check out some of the trails you recommended. The 15miles of singletrack could be a fun all day affair. But knowing my buddies in ATL the day doesn't start until 1pm

Thanks for the Info

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuyonabike

I will have to check out some of the trails you recommended. The 15miles of singletrack could be a fun all day affair. But knowing my buddies in ATL the day doesn't start until 1pm

Thanks for the Info

Personally, I wouldn't drive past the Pinhoti Trail or Bear Creek to ride Ft. Mountain, but thats just me.

Bear is a 7 mile climb to the top (with some really nice views and a few creek crossings) and a 7 mile downhill all the way home. The pinhoti shoots off of Bear, but it is a lot longer (28 miles?) and a lot more climbing. You could also try Bull Mountain. The trial in woodstock you speak of is Blankets Creek. Enjoy!!

I love Pisgah
    Stanley Gap up near Blue Ridge. Very steep and fairly techy here and there. Do it as an "in and out". Very fun trail..and tough. Then do Flat Creek that uses a connecter between the 2 trails. 100% singletrack except a short climb up an old gated FS rd while climbing Flat Creek(do it ccw). Bring your lungs.

I too would diff ride Bear/Pinhoti. With the new addition of the nearby Pinhoti, its a "must ride" now in the SE even. One of my fav combo rides. If you don't have the time for both, do the Pinhoti instead of bear. Its that good.

You want techy and argubly the rockiest trail in Ga(maybe the SE)? Ride the Pinhoti across the Snake Gap 16 miler..or add 16 more for a great 32 mile epic, with 5000'+ of climbing. We're currently racing a 3 event(once a month) TT across this trail. Its a mofo for sure. The start(the best way to ride it, altho the race is from the other end) is like 2 miles from 75 in Dalton. Hit the NWGa Sorba website for more info.

Heck, nearby to Ellijay is the Carters Lake xc race course(6 mile loop-bet 2 laps is all you can do) has its share of steep climbs and descents. Many being fairly techy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can agree with all the Bear Creek / Pinhoti talk. Great downhills (Not super tech but SUPER fast that makes then tech). Might consider Chilhowee up in the Ocoee region for Tech and downhill if you are willing to drive about 2 hours.

Trey

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Bear Creek is where it's at. Love that trail.

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Stanley Gap up near Blue Ridge.... Bring your lungs.

I couldn't agree with Duck more! Let me know when you'll be here and if it's a weekend, I'll gladly play tour guide. That is my favorite loop in the Southeast. Now, if you're coming the weekend of Feb 18, I'll be at the Razorback race in FL killing myself -- but getting a nice early season tan in 80 degree temps!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

IJR
    I Just Ride
    Forget GA when are we riding at your place.

Forget Bear creek, it's not technical and unless you can ride it mid week it will be packed with hikers and bikers so you won't be able to go fast for fear of hitting a family of four spread across the whole trail.

The Pinhotti that connects to bear creek is a little better but still not on par with NC riding and it's not on any maps yet so unless you have a guide I'd stay away from it.

Stanley gap is pretty good as one of the others mentioned but do it as an out and back. Me and my buddies wanted to do some exploring and see it we could link some trails together to make a loop and got so freaking lost. We finally found a paved road and happened upon the county sherrif, I asked him how to get back to the parking area and he said, "How the hell did you get way over here from there?" which apparently was his way of sayin you got a 25 mile road ride to get back.

There is also a good trail south of Atl called camp thunder, it's as technical as any of those in N Ga plus it's closer and your DH to climbing ratio is good if you know how to loop it.

Get Down Do you
    Don't mean to hijack your thread old guy but I am heading to ATL on weds and have thursday & sunday to ride. Sunday I am going with some friends to wherever it is that they want to go assuming they can walk after the oyster fest.

Is there anything worth hitting up on thurs that is not too far OTP I will be staying at my sisters in the Vinings so I am already north.

Thanks
    Muggsly
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggsly
    Don't mean to hijack your thread old guy but I am heading to ATL on weds and have thursday & sunday to ride. Sunday I am going with some friends to wherever it is that they want to go assuming they can walk after the oyster fest.

Is there anything worth hitting up on thurs that is not too far OTP I will be staying at my sisters in the Vinings so I am already north.

Thanks
    Muggsly
    Since you're staying in the vinnings, I would recommend Blankets Creek. Its about a 20-30 min (depending on time of day) drive from where you're staying. Just head up 75 north towards I-575. Take I-575 to exit #11 (sixes road) and make a left off of the exit. About 1.5-2 miles down the road on the left is Blankets Creek. There is a lot of constuction going on so be on the look out else you might miss the turn. There should be a sign saying "blankets creek turn here."

Enjoy!

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by bbuch
    Since you're staying in the vinnings, I would recommend Blankets Creek. Its about a 20-30 min (depending on time of day) drive from where you're staying. Just head up 75 north towards I-575. Take I-575 to exit #11 (sixes road) and make a left off of the exit. About 1.5-2 miles down the road on the left is Blankets Creek. There is a lot of constuction going on so be on the look out else you might miss the turn. There should be a sign saying "blankets creek turn here."

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I hit up the Sorba site and the trail map for Blankets Creek and it looks like it should be a lot of fun. Plus with a high of 70 for thurs I should be in heaven.

Muggsly
    Last edited by Muggsly; 02-14-2006 at 11:47 AM. Reason: edit
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

BikeWife
    Greetings I am headed to ATL to see some friends and I was looking for some Trail advice. I hit the trail reviews but I haven't been able to get the info I wanted.

I am looking for Technical trails with fast tech downs and fun ups. I am willing to travel a fair distance from ATL to get there. I was looking at hitting the 96 olympic course but people I talk with say it's a killer on the ups and not on the downs. I am not looking for any FR stuff just fun fast tech downs. I also rode a trail in Woodstock that was a great XC loop but I can't remember it's name and was hoping for something a little more Tech. Any info I get would be great. I am planning on hitting some bike shops when I get to ATL and ask there too but I wanted to see if I could get some info before I arrived.
    Look at the MTBR reviews for Chatsworth, GA. I think you will find what you want. Chatsworth is near Ellijay and should be less than two hours from ATL.