mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Looking for a good FL tire...

So I ride 50% at San Felasco and 50% in the local trails in Gainesville. Last night while riding on a relatively new bike (Kona Cinder Cone) at San Felasco, I simply could not get my tires to bite on the turns. I had to take many very slowly since my back end kept slipping.

At first it was doing this when it was dry... then it started raining and traction improved a lot.

I am running Maxxis Aspen 26 x 2.1 right now and was running at 27 psi last night (I weigh 186 lbs). That's a little higher than I normally ride (I prefer a slightly low pressure).

So, would I be better off just running these at a lower pressure (maybe convert to tubeless to run lower?), or can anyone recommend a tire that's good for Florida's condition.

For those that haven't ridden, San Felasco is a mix of sugar sand (not terribly bad), hard pack, roots, and pine needles everywhere. The pine needles and sand in the corners is where I lack the most cornering "stickyness"...

Thanks!

TRANCER
    I like the Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.1's. But where I ride there's not as much sand as there is up where you are.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am thinking about going with a 2.25 to maybe increase contact area?

Will look into those though.. thanks!

Papa T
    Graham Swamp regular here, we know all about sugar sand. I have been running WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4s for a few years. I recently moved to the 2.55 WTB Weirwolf LT up front. It has lots of grip and very low rolling resisance. I find that the wider tires let me float a little more on the sand. These are all kevlar bead to keep weight down.
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

XXIX
    Nevegal up front Hutchinson new Python out back. Spruce Creek is 7 miles of sugar sand and shin high palmetto roots with 9 feet of hard pack at the start of the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB
    Nevegal up front Hutchinson new Python out back. Spruce Creek is 7 miles of sugar sand and shin high palmetto roots with 9 feet of hard pack at the start of the trail.
    HA! And done.