Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?

Considering how flat it is in Florida, we are lucky to have so many great trails -- thanks to all those un-environmentally friendly strip miners. But riding Croom this weekend I started to wonder, which mountain bike trail in Florida has the longest, most sustained climb?

The two highest points, Britton Hill (elev 345 feet) and Sugarloaf mountain (elev 312 feet), don't have trails nearby, so I realize the longest climb in Florida is still very short.

The two that come to mind for me is Croom and Tom Brown, but that might just because I've mainly ridden the trails in Tallahassee and Tampa.

Papa T
    I remember Razorback had one heck of a climb that seemed longer than any in Tallahassee...but only rode Razorback once.
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Bum View Post
    I remember Razorback had one heck of a climb that seemed longer than any in Tallahassee...but only rode Razorback once.
    I don't know about a single climb, but Razorback sure had the most climbing. What a trail, damn I miss it.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Moving back to Florida in a year. After so many years here in San Diego, I wonder if I'll miss climbing hills?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Where was Razorback, why did it close?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Tom Brown doesn't have the longest climb in Tallahassee by far... I'm guessing something in the redhills area(Elinor Knapp, Redbug, Overstreet) or Miccosukee Greenway would probably have the longest climb in Tally.

Overall, I think the Tallahassee area in general has the MOST climbing in Florida.

Sugarloaf isn't even second highest, its 5th from what I can see behind Britton, Oak Hill, High Hill, and Falling Waters Hill... and the list I'm getting this from is incomplete, so possibly not even 5th.

Croom is fun and I like all the gentle rolling hills there, its got a bit more hills than the Munson/Twilight trail system in the Tally area. Reminds me of a bootleg section of singletrack elsewhere in ANF, moreso.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh, I'd totally forgotten about that climb on the trail that runs parallel to Blairstone RD between Park and Apalachee parkway. Never knew what it was called, but haven't been back there since they built the Khols, is the trail even still there?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode Mt Dora last weekend and new Helter Skelter loop has significant climbs. Running a 1 x 10, I had to stand up nearing the top(s)

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Rode Mt Dora last weekend and new Helter Skelter loop has significant climbs. Running a 1 x 10, I had to stand up nearing the top(s)
    Mt. Dora Trail new red loop Helter Skelter elevation profile:
    Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-helterskelterprofile.jpg

Those back to back climbs at the end are challenging with over 20% grade in places!

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjdraw View Post
    Where was Razorback, why did it close?
    Razorback was a trail in Reddick, about 20 minutes north of Santos. It was on land that included an active limestone quarry, only open for riding on the weekends. It was managed by the same people who run Goneriding.com (the race promoter) I think the land owner decided they didn't want the traffic on the land anymore.

In short, some of the sickest, most fun riding in the southeast, much less in Fl. It was a sad day indeed when they decided to close.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

Jackalope Hunter
    Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-reddick-1.jpgLongest, most sustained climb in Florida?-reddick-2.jpg

A view of one of the Razorback quarries... hard to believe its in Fl...

RIP Razorback...
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    Mt. Dora Trail new red loop Helter Skelter elevation profile:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helterskelterprofile.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	797528

Those back to back climbs at the end are challenging with over 20% grade in places!
    Thats cute and all, but the attached is from a ride connecting some of the Tally trails

Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-urban.jpg

From City Hall to Fern Trail, Magnolia, Cadillac, Alfords, Miccosukee, and over to Lake Overstreet, Silk, and Redbug.

Some people did Cambodia and Timberlane School Loop as well. I skipped it.

Oh, I'd totally forgotten about that climb on the trail that runs parallel to Blairstone RD between Park and Apalachee parkway. Never knew what it was called, but haven't been back there since they built the Khols, is the trail even still there?
    Thats called the Fern Trail and the side trail to the Kohls is Pine Beetle. Its still around.

Name:	Urban.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	797712

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bike Ride Profile | ....lowly 26" whees near Zephyrhills | Times and Records | Strava
    one of many routes from my house. Not official trails but 90% dirt roads and grass. Have had over 1000 elevation on several short rides.

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Thats cute and all, but the attached is from a ride connecting some of the Tally trails
    NICE! I need to get back up there. I have not ridden all of those, looks great!

Speaking of cute, 837 ft in 43.64 miles, hrm. Here is a ride I do regularly from my house to the Mt. Dora trail (25% road).

Name:  mdtride.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  11.0 KB
    Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-mdtprofile.jpg

Then there is the Ocala NF, here is 3 laps of the Paisley Woods Trail:

Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-paisleymap.jpg
    Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-paisleyelevation.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-mdtride.jpg  

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    NICE! I need to get back up there. I have not ridden all of those, looks great!

Speaking of cute, 837 ft in 43.64 miles, hrm. Here is a ride I do regularly from my house to the Mt. Dora trail (25% road).

Name:  mdtride.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  11.0 KB

Name:	mdtprofile.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	797847

Then there is the Ocala NF, here is 3 laps of the Paisley Woods Trail:

Name:	paisleymap.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	797844

Name:	paisleyelevation.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	797845

Nice! My buddies Strava app showed more like 1400' elevation for the ride I posted(I use MapMyRide). Wish I could find his profile to post.

Tally area has 100'+ climbs and peaks up to nearly 300', break out the O2!

In all seriousness, we have the flattest damned state in the world... and if anyone from another state sees this thread, we should all be embarrassed

Edit: So I don't look like a tool, I went and searched up the strava route for this years Urban Gorilla...

Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-jackturban.jpg

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Super Urban Gorilla Ride near Tallahassee | Times and Records | Strava

MapMyRide always gives me the shaft as far as elevation goes :/

Dirt Junkie
    Sunshine Skyway?
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

DILLIGAF
    In all seriousness, we have the flattest damned state in the world... and if anyone from another state sees this thread, we should all be embarrassed
    Sad but true. (sigh) But hey, I can surf and ride great trails (without suffering big climbs) all in the same day and that day can be in the middle of January if I choose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Haha, so true.

One thing is for sure, though. I have to get back up to Tally to ride. I started riding there in college and probably wouldn't recognize it.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?-bwrsf-cnf.jpg

Just finished up a two day 95 mile bikepacking trip throughout Blackwater River State Forest and up into Conecuh National Forest utilizing forest roads, dirt & gravel roads, a bit of pavement for connecting dirt, and even a pair of mountain bike trails(Bear Lake and North Loop of Conecuh Trail).

Running up and down the hills out there was incredibly fun, however dunno if it counts since it was predominantly(probably 70%) forest roads. Some of the climbs were 1-2 miles long or better... some of the downhills were the same !!

Edit: Just checked, had one climb that was better than 6 miles long on day 1
    46.91 mi mountain bike on 5/11/2013 in Milton, FL | MapMyRide
    Day 2
    48.02 mi mountain bike on 5/12/2013 in Andalusia, AL | MapMyRide

PMK
    mtbr member
    Not that it is real, but long ago when discussing Florida trails with riders from other parts of the country, it seems we have a false set of mountains many ride all the time.

I was on a ride in Mass. on some very nice trails that were hardpacked terrain. One of the riders was the "Old Coot" from Dirt Rag Magazine. The locals would ride the hills and climbs, typically spinning a low gear with a slow speed on the climb. I'm not a strong rider, but easily made the climbs with more speed and less rpm.

The added speed also made any trail feature easy to ride clean and not stall the bike.

At one point during the ride, the locals asked, since they had been giving me crap all day how Florida riders can't climb, then changed to shouldn't be able to climb, why the hills were not a problem.

I mentioned riding a lot of sand. The Old Coot then mentioned that riding sand is where the tires are always climbing to get on top of the surface.

So for riders that are not supposed to be ok climbers, if we have oxygen and low altitude sand training works as sort of an equalizer.

So what's the longest climb in Florida, possibly Johnathon Dickinson in Hobe Sound. Miles of sand sucking the energy from every muscle and joint in your legs.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Johnathon Dickinson used to be my "home trail" and have ridden it in the worst conditions. Mt Dora trail, specifically Helter Skelter segment, is much more physically demanding.

turtles make me hot
    Florida riders have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Not only are the trails awesome and technical, there's plenty of climbing to be done, even if only in short bursts.
    A couple of years ago at Boyette, some guy who was around 50 (I was 45) dusted me as I followed him back to the lot. He was a local. Lots of fast guys down there. Probably from the sand.
    I like turtles

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Johnathon Dickinson used to be my "home trail" and have ridden it in the worst conditions. Mt Dora trail, specifically Helter Skelter segment, is much more physically demanding.

My post was not to knock any trail, merely to bring to light the concept of a sandy trail is one where you constantly climb.

Is the Mt Dora trail open to all and can you post a link on how to get there? Never been there. Isn't this place relatively new?

PK

PK

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    My post was not to knock any trail, merely to bring to light the concept of a sandy trail is one where you constantly climb.
    I've ridden JD, def the sandiest trail I've attempted. But typically it isn't the climb that we're after, it is the descent that follows. Sand offers no such reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Is the Mt Dora trail open to all and can you post a link on how to get there? Never been there. Isn't this place relatively new?
    It is open to the public.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...37fc07f8fe609f

http://omba.org/maps/OMBA-Mount_Dora...02-09-2012.jpg

PMK
    mtbr member
    I've ridden JD, def the sandiest trail I've attempted. But typically it isn't the climb that we're after, it is the descent that follows. Sand offers no such reward.

It is open to the public.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...37fc07f8fe609f

http://omba.org/maps/OMBA-Mount_Dora...02-09-2012.jpg

Not much I can offer as a reply except buy a Hare Scrambles bike and race FTR. This is one of the few ways to ride with minimal effort.

PK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast