mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Long shot... Destin FL trails/riders?

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know anything about trails or riders in Destin Florida... I'm presuming there is little to nothing there as far as trail riding, but figured I'd give it a shot...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm a long time lurker, but finally have something worth adding. About 20 miles to the east is the Grayton Beach / Port Washington State Forest area. I found two trails there when researching for a vacation last summer. One is the Longleaf Greenway, and the other is the Eastern Lake Trail. Both are really sandy in parts, and both have decent singletrack in parts. The Greenway was really poorly marked, and I got turned around a few times before finding my way out - even though it wa supposed to be a loop.

I think you can find info on the Eastern Lake Trail on Singletracks.com.

I wreck alot
    Jonesy,

I live in Santa Rosa Beach (about 5-10 mins East of Destin) and ride 3-4 times a week.

I ride Crooked Creek Trail and Pine Log Trail (just South of Ebro), Longleaf Greenway in Pt Washington State Park and Eastern Lake trail. All within 30mins of Destin.

There is also nice singletrack at UWF in Pensacola and some really great stuff if your willing to make a day trip (2-3 hour drive).

Let me know if you're interested in riding. I'm currently looking for a trail partner. Hard to come by in our area. Almost everyone is a roadie.

-Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Timberlake in Fort Walton Beach is ok. Many miles of trails, you could probably get around 20 without doubling over any trails. There are a ton of spiders, but those shouldn't be a problem till another month.

There are little known trails on Range Road in Bluewater Bay, just across the bridge from Destin. They are across the street from the Bluewater Baptist Church and Blue Pine Village neighborhood, and are on government property but are open for use. Mostly flat trails, but there are two or three awesome drops and climbs, and several logs to clear. There's probably 5 miles of trail worth riding, but it loops around nicely. There's a good bit of trail that intersects with dirt roads and 4-wheeler tracks, and I'm sure I haven't ridden all. Going too far down dirt roads will probably get you into a Navy range, so I would just be wary of that.
    Suspension and gears are the bastion of the proletariat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakBear View Post
    Timberlake in Fort Walton Beach is ok. Many miles of trails, you could probably get around 20 without doubling over any trails. There are a ton of spiders, but those shouldn't be a problem till another month.

There are little known trails on Range Road in Bluewater Bay, just across the bridge from Destin. They are across the street from the Bluewater Baptist Church and Blue Pine Village neighborhood, and are on government property but are open for use. Mostly flat trails, but there are two or three awesome drops and climbs, and several logs to clear. There's probably 5 miles of trail worth riding, but it loops around nicely. There's a good bit of trail that intersects with dirt roads and 4-wheeler tracks, and I'm sure I haven't ridden all. Going too far down dirt roads will probably get you into a Navy range, so I would just be wary of that.
    I used to live in Niceville. I know the trails you are talking about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    UPDATE: Well, my vacation plans changed it looks like it will be cocoa beach area instead... and not sure if I'll be bringing a bike now.... (won't have an RV, just a small rental car...)

Thanks for the info anyway folks....

I married a witch.
    I'm in Santa Rosa Beach as well, and am loving the Longleaf Trail. If your plans change, be sure to check this one out.

Kodiak, do you need a recreation permit to be on the base property? I'll be heading to Jackson Guard soon to get myself another one. As I understand it, general recreation is just $12.

mtbr member
    Man that area must be paradise for road riding

I wreck alot
    Flying-Monkey,

If you're ever up for riding Longleaf, let me know. I live about 2 miles from the trail head.

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side View Post
    Are you talking about my area? It's very nice for that. I had started riding a lot after I moved here, on my road bike a couple years ago. I hurt myself pretty good on it, and really haven't been on it since. I recently have started working on my Giant, and am loving the trail riding side of things here.

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    Flying-Monkey,

If you're ever up for riding Longleaf, let me know. I live about 2 miles from the trail head.
    That would be great, as long as you don't mind that I am a SLOW rider.

I'm at the west end of 30-A

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side View Post
    We do have a year-round climate for road riding, but its flat. Have to drive 30-45 min. to get even 4000 ft of climbing in a century.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I married a witch.
    A short video of me doing some riding in Point Washington State Forest.

Trail Riding in Point Washington State Forest - YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    New guy here in the Destin area... just started up with biking again after a 6 year hiatus.

Trying to find where to start this Longleaf trail at. I found this site that has some maps, and I've been to Grayton Beach where there's that small trail opening off of 30A.

I can't post links since I have fewer than 10... but it's at www . beachtobay . org no spaces.

I married a witch.
    There's a trail head parking area by Goatfeather's restaurant on 30-A

Follow Satinwood road to the end, and you can't miss it.

There's also a trail head on 395. You can go west or west from there.

I wreck alot
    I prefer the trailhead off 395. You can ride the best section of single track and then hop on the trails down by Eastern Lake.

Here's a map that you can get directions from - s county road 395 santa rosa beach, fl - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys. I'm going to give this a go either Saturday or Sunday.

I married a witch.
    If I'm still in town, maybe I'll see you out there!
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I will be vacationing in Destin with my family in mid June and my Titus Motolite will be along for the ride also. If anyone is looking for an accomplished rider to show off the local trails to please let me know. Aaron

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashaw View Post
    I will be vacationing in Destin with my family in mid June and my Titus Motolite will be along for the ride also. If anyone is looking for an accomplished rider to show off the local trails to please let me know. Aaron
    Check with these guys.

https://www.facebook.com/pinetrailmtb?fref=ts
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi Joe, I'm going to be vacationing with my family in Destin in three weeks. Looking to check out the mountain bike trails around Destin if you can show me around. -HoLLy

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Looking for a MTB partner in Destin, FL July 26-Aug 2nd

Hey guys!! I'm going to be vacationing in Destin, FL in three weeks. July 26-August 2nd. I am more of a mountain girl than a beach girl so I definitely want to spend some time exploring the mountain bike trails around the area. I'm an experienced rider. Would love to have someone to ride with down there!

I wreck alot
    Hey Holly! I responded to your message on Facebook and sent you a PM

If you're staying in Destin, you're not too far away from all of the single track in the area. I'll PM you my info here as well.